About Our Job
Denver's Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI), through its employees, enhances the quality of life in Denver by efficiently delivering effective, high quality, safe and equitable public infrastructure and services, including transportation planning, design and construction; major projects, maintenance of streets, bridges and storm and sanitary sewers; residential trash, recycling and compost collection; and oversight and regulation of use of the public right-of-way including on-street parking. We employ a culture of safety throughout the department to strengthen workplace health and organizational performance. For more information, please visit www.denvergov.org/DOTI
Denver's Department of Transportation and Infrastructure is looking for a distinguished Principal Project Manager to assist with managing the 10-year, $937 million Elevate Denver Bond Program. This position will provide a unique opportunity to work on a citywide program and manage a diverse and talented team of professionals.
Elevate Denver is the city's largest general obligation bond to date and was ushered in after the 2017 election when voters overwhelming approved all seven ballot questions involving the bond program. Both enhancing and expanding the city's capital assets, the program is divided into seven unique purposes: parks and recreation, public safety, public facilities, libraries, cultural facilities, the Denver Health and Hospital Authority and transportation and mobility. With more than 500 distinct projects, Elevate Denver benefits all 78 of the city's unique neighborhoods, ensuring Denver remains one of the best places to live, work and play.
This position will help shape the future of Denver's infrastructure and deliver on a promise to voters to make amenities more efficient, communities more accessible and infrastructure more robust. The City is seeking professional Management Services to successfully develop, define, communicate, plan, execute, control and close out the more than 500 projects in Elevate Denver.
Job Duties Include:
- Performs project management work on large, complex, multi-disciplinary regional design and construction projects; directs the activities of engineers, architects, technical support staff, consultants, and contractors; and prepares, reviews, and approves designs, plans, specifications, and contract documents. Coordinates projects and works in conjunction with city departments, elected officials, other municipalities, business organizations, and other internal/external stakeholders.
- Consults with city leaders, elected officials, and other stakeholders to determine and establish project plans and goals, formulates and defines scope of work and objectives, and develops project work plans including time frames, funding limitations, contract costs, risk factors, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of a project.
- Reviews project design(s) and schematics for quality, technical competence, and code and standards compliance, monitors the progress and quality of a project, and resolves problems and project barriers by identifying strategies and approaches to overcome barriers.
- Develops project budgets, schedules, work plans, and cost estimates/projections in order to identify cost savings, administers and monitors contracts including contract negotiation and preparation of contract recommendations, and monitors projects for conformance to approved plans and contract specifications.
- Directs the development of pre-bid materials defining scope of work and related information necessary for request for qualifications (RFQ) and request for proposals (RFP); sets up selection boards and responds to questions concerning the project and/or contract(s); reviews bids; and prepares recommendation(s).
- Develops a communication plan and related project status reports for key stakeholders and provides updates on project activities and information on risks and mitigation strategies.
- Prepares and monitors the budget for project planning, design, regulatory, and/or construction phases, recommends project budget needs for annual appropriations, and ensures project deliverables stay on-time, on-target, and on-budget.
- Interacts with utility companies, city agencies/departments, and other governmental agencies to obtain necessary permits and clearances and to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Matrix manages and/or coordinates and directs the work of consultants and related personnel who have been assigned responsibility for various projects and/or portions of a project and defines and manages the overall change control processes and quality assurance aspects of the project to ensure project success.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience with horizontal and vertical construction
- Proven ability to deliver multifaceted programs
- Excellent facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong experience with City projects
- Experience managing across a large organization
We realize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you have at least the following minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Architecture.
- Experience: Five (5) years of professional experience at the type and level of an Engineer/Architect Manager, Engineer/Architect Supervisor, or Engineer/Architect Specialist.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education.A combination of appropriate education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements.
- License/Certifications: registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by the Colorado State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers at the time of application, or registration as an architect by the Colorado State Board of Registration at the time of application. Registration in another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement, provided that the applicant has Colorado registration at completion of probation By position, requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application.
CE2784 Principal Project Manager
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$124,760.00 - $199,616.00
based on education and experience
Dept of Transportation & Infrastructure
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here