The PositionThere is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.This is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 6/5/20, 6/19/20, 7/6/20, 7/20/20, *8/17/20, *9/14/20, *10/13/20(final cut-off)
Manages, organizes, directs, and reviews all aspects of veterinary services for the Department of Animal Care and Regulation. Under general direction, incumbents perform veterinary work involved in inspection, investigation, diagnosis, prevention, control, treatment and eradication of contagious and infectious diseases of animals; oversee the work of staff who assist with animal health or euthanasia procedures; and represent the County on the care and treatment of animals and pets.Watch to explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Surgical procedures for spaying and neutering canines, felines, and other common shelter animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, etc.
- Shelter medicine and best practices
- Standard guidelines of the veterinary professional that are used in the State of California
- Knowledge of modern techniques for treating various animals for common diseases and injuries
- Laws, codes, regulations and policies affecting the department's operations and programs
- Quality assurance procedures and techniques
- Training principles, practices and techniques
- Principles and practices of leadership and conflict resolution
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications:
- Determine surgical needs based on the animals' health status
- Understand, interpret and apply pertinent provisions of county, state and federal laws, rules, regulations and standards that affect the operation and administration of the shelter medical program
- Effectively provide training and instruction to personnel on a variety of medical techniques common to animal care
- Analyze program needs and develop, recommend and implement operational procedures, policies and protocols
- Analyze situations and take appropriate action; reach sound conclusions
- Establish and maintain cooperative relations and deal effectively and tactfully with citizens and staff
- Prepare clear, complete and technically accurate reports
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree;AND
One (1) year of experience in the diagnosis and treatment of animals in a clinical setting, private practice or shelter environment, including the performance of surgery.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.General Qualifications
Licenses, Registrations and Certifications:
A valid license issued by the California Board of Examiners in Veterinary Medicine to practice as a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, is required prior to appointment.
A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, is required prior to appointment. Note: Failure to maintain a valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, constitutes cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules 11.4. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Incumbents in this class may be required to obtain and maintain Drug Enforcement Administration licensure. Note: If required, failure to obtain and maintain this license is cause for termination in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.
Lift up to 40 pounds without assistance and occasionally lift greater weights with assistance.
Individuals who are unable to pass physical requirements due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Exposure to infectious, poisonous and threatening animals
- Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions and in unsanitary environments
- Work in and around animal fur, dander and excrement
- Work holidays, shifts, and weekends, fluctuating hours and after hour call-outs
- Exposure to chemicals
Criminal History Check:
The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of the Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to, or impacts, the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification issix (6)
months.Application and Testing Information
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 10/13/2020 5:00 PM Pacific