CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACH
College of Liberal Arts
Department of Geography
Tenure-Track Position Opening
Recruitment Number: 2623
Position: Assistant Professor of Geography
Effective Date: August 17, 2021 (Fall Semester)
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
• Ph.D. in Geography or related field with specialization in remote sensing of the environment.
• Degree at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2021.
• Demonstrated or potential ability for effective teaching in Geography undergraduate and graduate-level courses.
• Demonstrated or potential ability to generate funding for applied research and student support. Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
• Expertise in spatial statistical applications, applied experience and research using Unoccupied Aerial Vehicles (UAVs).
• Specialization also in one or more of the following areas: imagery acquisition and processing, object based image analysis.
• Successful grant-seeking record with established ties to research institutions, industry or government agencies.
• Teach courses at both lower and upper division in our geography and environmental science and policy programs, and at the graduate level in both our Masters of Arts and Master of Science in Geographic Information Science degree programs. Teaching assignments may also include classes in remote sensing, digital image processing, multi-variate and spatial statistics general education courses in natural science or other specialty courses in the candidate's area of expertise. Mode of instruction may include in-person, hybrid, online, and/or any combination thereof.
• Engage undergraduate and graduate students in scholarly activities and will be encouraged to develop an extramurally funded research program.
• Produce scholarly publications and collaborate assist in curriculum development
• Advise students, serve on department, college, and university committees, and engage in professional activities.
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University's strong commitment to the academic success of all of our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions. CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
The Department of Geography Received Honorable Mention for the 2019 AAG Award for MA/MS Programs
Information on excellent benefits package available to CSULB faculty is located here:
How to Apply - Required Documentation:
• An Equity and Diversity Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (maximum two pages, single-spaced). For further information and guidelines, please visit: http://www.csulb.edu/EquityDiversityStatement
• Letter of application addressing the required and preferred qualifications
• CV (including current email address)
• Names and contact information for three references
• Copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
• Finalists will also be required to submit the following:
1) A signed SC-1 form,
2) Three current letters of recommendation independently provided by references, and
3) An official transcript (e-transcript preferred, if available)
Applicants should apply and submit all required documentation electronically through:
Upon request, finalists will be required to submit original, official documents, as noted in the required documentation section.
Requests for information should be addressed to:
Dr. Suzanne P. Wechsler, Search Committee Chair
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Geography
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-3905
Suzanne.Wechsler@csulb.edu or 562 985-2356
Review of applications to begin October 19. 2020
Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, Vietnam era veteran status, or any other veteran's status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Long Beach, California