About Our Job
The City and County of Denver's Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI) is seeking a Director of Special Projects to assist in the oversight of multiple large and complex transportation, infrastructure and facility projects.
Job duties include:
- Performs project management work on large, complex, multi-disciplinary regional design and construction projects; directs the activities of engineers, architects, technical support staff, consultants, and contractors; and prepares, reviews, and approves designs, plans, specifications, and contract documents. Coordinates projects and works in conjunction with city departments, elected officials, other municipalities, business organizations, and other internal/external stakeholders.
- Consults with city leaders, elected officials, and other stakeholders to determine and establish project plans and goals, formulates and defines scope of work and objectives, and develops project work plans including time frames, funding limitations, contract costs, risk factors, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of a project.
- Reviews project design(s) and schematics for quality, technical competence, and code and standards compliance, monitors the progress and quality of a project, and resolves problems and project barriers by identifying strategies and approaches to overcome barriers.
- Develops project budgets, schedules, work plans, and cost estimates/projections in order to identify cost savings, administers and monitors contracts including contract negotiation and preparation of contracts recommendations, and monitors projects for conformance to approved plans and contract specifications.
- Directs the development of pre-bid materials defining scope of work and related information necessary for request for qualifications (RFQ) and request for proposals (RFP); sets up selection boards and responds to questions concerning the project and/or contract(s); reviews bids; and prepares recommendation(s).
- Develops a communication plan and related project status reports for key stakeholders and provides updates on project activities and information on risks and mitigation strategies.
- Prepares and monitors the budget for project planning, design, regulatory, and/or construction phases, recommends project budget needs for annual appropriations, and ensures project deliverables stay on-time, on-target, and on-budget.
- Interacts with utility companies, city agencies/departments, and other governmental agencies to obtain necessary permits and clearances and to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Matrix manages and/or coordinates and directs the work of consultants and related personnel who have been assigned responsibility for various projects and/or portions of a project and defines and manages the overall change control processes and quality assurance aspects of the project to ensure project success.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate is a seasoned project manager with a strong background leading large professional teams through high visible, public projects. Experience with innovate delivery methods is a must. Licensure/registration as a Professional Engineer and/or Project Management Professional is preferred, but not required.
We realize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you have at least the following minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Architecture.
- Experience: Five (5) years of professional experience at the type and level of an Engineer/Architect Manager, Engineer/Architect Supervisor, or Engineer/Architect Specialist.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education. A combination of appropriate education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements.
CE2784 Principal Project Manager
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$124,760.00 - $199,616.00
based on education and experience
Dept of Transportation & Infrastructure
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here