Assistant to the Dean, College of Science & Engineering (CoSE)
SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing email@example.com.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
College of Science & Engineering
This is a one year probationary position.
Monday to Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Anticipated Hiring Range*
$6,899 to $7,400 per month ($82,788 to $88,800 annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Provides administrative support as the CoSE Dean's Assistant and schedules meetings for the Dean as well as college wide meetings. Assists CoSE Dean with confidential tasks, projects and correspondence and prepares reports for Dean as needed. Oversees, trains and provides lead work to several office staff and student assistants to ensure a well-functioning office environment. Communicates information to college community as needed, including oversite of the college website. Reports to Dean of College of Science & Engineering(CoSE).
Dean's Assistant and Scheduler
- Functions as gatekeeper for the Dean. Evaluates and priorities all requests from faculty, staff,
students and campus community members.
- Maintains the Dean's calendar. Has the ability to make judgments on and prioritize meeting
requests, and to make sensible arrangements to Dean's schedules. Maintains confidentiality of
meetings and other arrangements as appropriate.
- Works closely with the Dean and facilitates communication between college administrators and
the Dean involving confidential issues.
- Assists Dean in coordinating with key stakeholders and college administrators in insuring that
projects critical to the college mission are efficiently handled with a high degree of accuracy and
- Handles emerging tasks as identified by the Dean and delegates as appropriate.
- Prepares correspondence (memos and reports) as needed.
- Collects data and prepares reports requested by the Dean.
- Identifies, researches and evaluates problems before presenting them to the Dean.
- Handles special projects and other duties as assigned in support of the Dean's Office.
Dean's Office Management
- Serves as Office Manager, and manages college front office staff and student assistants, and
oversees front office operations.
- Leads, trains and evaluates the work of full time subordinate staff. Schedules and assigns work to
staff. Manages workload in areas such as college events and communications.Has recurring contact with members of the campus community (administrators, faculty, staff, and
students), visitors to the campus and provides oversight of staff responsible for scheduling the
- Manages the general email account of the College and responds to or refers inquiries to
- Screens requests and distributes mass e-mails to all faculty/staff members on behalf of the college
after Dean's review/authorization.
- Oversees check pick up and distribution process for college.
- Supervises the College's Monthly Calendar and College/Department staff directory.
College Meeting Organization
- Coordinates standing meetings (science council agenda), new science building meetings, donor
visits, events, and retreats for the College.
- Supports College-wide committees, including Science Council, the College Advisory Board and other committees requested by the Dean. Prepares agenda, attends and provides meeting notes/action items to the Dean and Council /Advisory Board members.
- Responsible for composing and independently running College committee elections each semester and maintaining accurate committee membership lists. Provides the Dean with suggestions/input for faculty committee nominees.
- Is an active member of the Deans' Assistants' Monthly Meeting Group: Suggests items for
discussion; disseminates information from meetings relevant to College/Department Staff and occasionally hosts meetings. Communicates with the group frequently on mutually relevant
- Serves on the College Science Council and attends other meetings as required by the Dean.
- Facilitates internal and external communications for the College as well as the Dean's
communications to key stakeholders.
- Supports the Dean in maintaining communications with Development Staff and the University
- Coordinates information flow to website, science council, staff, and faculty members.
- Facilitates updates and web postings on the College website in coordination with IT personnel.
- Promotes a positive image of the College and University, responding to inquiries from the Campus
Community (e.g., students, faculty, staff, and administrators) and off campus inquiries.
- Safeguards the confidentiality of the Dean's Office by exercising discretion in communicating
information to faculty members, staff, and students and the various groups served by the
University and in handling administrative records, files, and other confidential items.
- Other duties as assigned
At All Times
- Demonstrate behaviors that are in line with the User Friendly Principles (P530C) and Principles of Conduct for a Multi-Cultural University (P30D)
- Demonstrate safe work practices for oneself, others and the office environment
Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of and ability to apply expertise in the advanced theories, principles, methods and practices associated with the functional specialty, program, and/or organizational unit, including applicable internal policies and procedures and pertinent laws and regulations. Laws and regulations are highly complex and require substantial judgment and discretion in interpreting and applying them to the specialty or program area. Incumbents at this level often may have certification in a specialty area.
- Substantial and broad knowledge of public and private entities including their organizational and operating structures, internal systems, and functional areas, as well as the impact of critical external entities on an organization. Ability to integrate and apply this knowledge to anticipate problems and assess the impact of proposed solutions on various organizational areas.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge in project management including research and analytical methodologies.
- Ability to interpret and integrate complex data and information to formulate appropriate courses of action which have broad and far reaching impact.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex problems from a future-oriented and broad interactive perspective and readily develop proactive solutions that integrate strategic goals into tactical operations.
- Ability to effectively use applicable information systems and applications in analysis, research, and reporting activities and projects.
- Ability to effectively communicate with and influence high-level and diverse contacts inside and outside of the CSU system.
- Ability to effectively use all communication methods and formats and to use expertise, as well as persuasion and negotiation skills, to build consensus to achieve short- and long-term goals and objectives.
- Master's degree and/or equivalent training and at least 5 years of relevant executive administrative support experience.
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills; is able to plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in complex situations and is able to effectively research and analyze problems. Detail oriented. Ability to coordinate and complete projects. Ability to make constructive recommendations for improvement in methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with College programs, Chairs, faculty, staff and University policies and procedures and/or how to acquire additional information about them.
- Knowledge of general higher education policies and procedures, ideally those specific to the CSU.
- Experience in social media use, web page tools and survey software (i.e., Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey). Computer skills including standard word-processing, spreadsheet, database, and communication software. Ability to learn campus-wide database and IT systems.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and multi-task. Ability to reschedule work based on shifting priorities. Ability to anticipate department needs and develop systems for gratifying those needs as appropriate.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and accomplish work through others.
Core Competencies - embody the following competencies:
- Bias toward collaboration and teamwork.
- Effective communication across a variety of venues.
- Customer/Client Focus with an emphasis in problem solving and resolution.
- Personal effectiveness and credibility as demonstrated by interpersonal and professional
- Diversity and inclusion.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child
Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU
Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.
Eligibility to Work*
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire.
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employees.
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference.
How To Apply
**THE ONLINE RECRUITMENT SYSTEM WILL ALLOW ONLY ONE FILE ATTACHMENT FOR EACH SUBMISSION**
Submit an online application and upload in one file attachment your resume, cover letter, describing your specific qualifications for each position AND three (3) professional references who can comment upon your education and/or job related experience.
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
This position is open until filled.
Review of applications will begin 06/15/2020.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Francisco, California