CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACH
College of Health and Human Services
Department of Kinesiology
Tenure-Track Position Opening
Recruitment Number: 2625
Position: Assistant Professor of Kinesiology (Physical Education Teacher Education)
Effective Date: August 17, 2021 (Fall Semester)
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Kinesiology or related field with specialization in physical education teacher education.
- Degree at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2021.
- Demonstrated potential to teach, conduct research, and engage in scholarly and creative activities.
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
- Prior certified public school teaching experience at K-12 level
- Evidence of successful undergraduate and/or graduate teaching in Physical Education Teacher - Education (PETE) related coursework
- Focused research agenda with a record of publications/presentations
- Potential to develop/obtain grants and external funding
- Evidence of professional activities
- Experience and/or ability to teach adapted physical education coursework
- Teach courses in PETE undergraduate and graduate programs as assigned. Mode of instruction may include in-person, hybrid, online, and/or any combination thereof.
- Develop and enhance graduate PETE program.
- Conduct and publish research, scholarly and creative activities in area of expertise.
- Develop and sustain external funding.
- Supervise undergraduate and graduate student research, including graduate theses, projects and/or comprehensive examinations.
- Advise undergraduate and graduate students regarding career and secondary degree options.
- Establish service-learning opportunities for students.
- Participate in service to the department, college, university, profession, and community.
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University's strong commitment to the academic success of all of our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions. CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Information on excellent benefits package available to CSULB faculty is located here:
How to Apply - Required Documentation:
- An Equity and Diversity Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (maximum two pages, single-spaced). For further information and guidelines, please visit: http://www.csulb.edu/EquityDiversityStatement
- Letter of application addressing the required and preferred qualifications
- CV (including current email address)
- Names and contact information for three references
- Copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
- Finalists will also be required to submit the following:
1. A signed SC-1 form,
2. Three current letters of recommendation independently provided by references and
3. An official transcript (e-transcript preferred, if available)
Applications, required documentation, and/or requests for information should be emailed and addressed to:
Melissa Bittner, Ph.D.
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Kinesiology
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-4901
Review of applications to begin September 1, 2020
Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, Vietnam era veteran status, or any other veteran's status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Long Beach, California