POSITION PURPOSE / IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
People choose Westminster, Colorado, because it is an extraordinary community with an honored past and an even more promising future. Our employees serve with a purpose and embrace our SPIRIT values of Service, Pride, Integrity, Responsibility, Innovation and Teamwork. We are known as a caring, team-oriented working environment with a commitment to excellence. Innovation and creativity are encouraged, where visionary people who want to see their projects and programs implemented thrive. Westminster's work culture encourages passionate, positive and enthusiastic employees. Our mission is clear: We deliver exceptional value and quality of life to our citizens.
The Field Worker is a part-time, hourly position that works in the Parks and Golf or Open Space Division. This position performs a variety of maintenance duties for the City of Westminster parks, open space, urban forestry, golf courses, and/or athletic fields and will include general maintenance, landscaping, snow removal, and light construction.
The full salary range for this position is stated above. The starting range of pay is dependent on qualifications and experience of each individual candidate. ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES AND CULTURAL VALUES/GENERAL COMPETENCIES
of every employee at the City of Westminster is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life through SPIRIT. Each employee is measured by the ability to adhere to the City's core values of Service, Pride, Integrity, Responsibility, Innovation, and Teamwork.
This position supports the goals of the Parks, Recreation and Libraries Department, which enhances the quality of life for all Westminster citizens by providing diverse leisure, recreational, and informational services and resources; and acquiring, developing, and maintaining first-class parks, facilities, open space, and trails. This position works toward the accomplishment of the department's mission: Together we create exceptional opportunities for a vibrant community with a commitment to nature, wellness and literacy. GENERAL COMPETENCIES Job Specific - Every employee in this position must be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of practices used in parks, open space, urban forestry, and golf course maintenance, construction and repair
- Perform grounds maintenance on parks, sport fields, open space, and golf courses
- Operate a variety of hand tools, light equipment, and heavy equipment.
- Remove snow at public facilities when necessary
- Demonstrate understanding and importance of safety rules and procedures
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Demonstrate the ability to take care of equipment
- Work independently and in a team environment and show initiative to complete tasks
- Assist the public and City staff in a friendly and helpful manner and establish effective working relationships
All employees are expected to provide excellent customer service, communicate in an effective manner both verbally and in writing, display professionalism and integrity, work efficiently, effectively and accurately, work independently and as part of a team, take initiative, solve problems, display good judgment, take ownership for delivering a high quality product or service, have regular and punctual attendance, and effectively handle emergency situations. JOB SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS Essential Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities, and Tasks
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs daily maintenance tasks such as mowing, weeding, tree pruning, mulching, edging and watering
- Uses hand tools and operates light equipment, such as mowers, sand trap rakes, golf carts, aerators, seeders, spray equipment, chain saws, limb chippers, air compressors, backhoes, loaders and trenchers
- Operation of specialized equipment such as aerators, topdressers, stump grinders, skid loaders, and large area mowers.
- Calibrates fertilizer and herbicide application equipment
- Applies fertilizers and herbicides
- Assists with a variety of projects, including light construction, tree planting, holiday decorations, fence repair, playground repair, storage organization, renovations, snow removal and winterizing irrigation systems
- Assists with graffiti removal utilizing equipment and specialized techniques.
- Assists mechanics in repairs of small and large equipment, tire repair, oil changes and related mechanical work
- Possesses a valid driver's license and maintains a safe driving record
- Regular and punctual attendance
Incumbent is accountable for all duties of this job, and other projects and responsibilities may be added at the City's discretion. POSITION REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS/PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS Education, Experience, Skills, Formal Training, Licenses, and Certifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Prior industry experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Daily maintenance of parks, golf courses, open space/forestry, and/or athletic fields
- Operating light equipment and tools such as pick-up trucks, mowers, limb chippers, and skid-steers
- Tree planting, pruning, and removals
- Planting, pruning, irrigating, fertilizing, and maintaining flower gardens
- Light maintenance and repair of fences or structures, and custodial work
Valid driver's license and safe driving recordAny equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which would provide the required knowledge and skills, may be considered. Physical Requirements
Work is physical in nature and requires sufficient physical strength and stamina to:
- Occasionally sit while driving to work assignments and performing office tasks; frequently stand and constantly walk on uneven terrain in all weather conditions to safely complete assigned tasks
- Occasional squatting, twisting, climbing, and balancing to inspect assigned areas and perform snow removal
- Frequent bending, kneeling, and reaching below shoulder to perform irrigation repair, tree planting, and park maintenance
- Frequent light/firm grasp to properly use tools and equipment; occasional fine manipulation use to perform office duties; constant handling to use safely use machinery and heavy equipment
- Occasional stepping up and/or down to enter and exit vehicles and climb ladders; constant actuate mechanism to safely operate heavy equipment and vehicles
- Standard near and/or far acuity and hearing
Occasional lifting of up to fifty (50) pounds from ground to waist to move material and supplies; constant carrying of up to twenty-five (25) pounds at waist level to use weed clearing equipment; occasional carrying of up to fifty (50) pounds to use a backpack sprayer; frequent pushing and/or pulling of up to 100 pounds to use a painter WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is constantly performed indoors and outdoors with constant exposure to extreme temperatures year-round. Position is responsible for the maintenance of all City parks, forestry, open space, and athletic fields throughout the year. Snow removal at City facilities, parks, and trails is done when needed. Required Materials and Equipment
Pick-up truck, small dump truck, tractors, pressure washers, hand tools, rototillers, sod cutters, pruners, chain saws, limb chippers, self-propelled, walk-behind mowers, riding mowers, snow blowers, 20-foot trailers, golf carts, office equipment, trencher, backhoe, general maintenance equipment, water equipment, equipment to prepare and line athletic fields, and other equipment as necessary. Depending on the project, may also utilize small tools such as hammers, saws, measuring tape, levels, drills, and power tools to complete assigned responsibilities. PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the United States and must successfully pass a criminal background check, driving record check, reference check, and substance screen. There may be additional pre-employment requirements depending on the nature of the position.
We are a caring, courteous, team-oriented organization committed to public service excellence. Employees thrive in a culture that is respectful, professional and diverse. Our work culture encourages passionate, positive and enthusiastic employees. Westminster is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date/Time: 10/26/2020 8:30 AM Mountain