The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Controller
to fill a vacancy in the Accounting Division of the Finance Department
. The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
The Assistant Controller is primarily responsible for overseeing the daily operations for various divisions within the Finance Department (accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and collections), as well as planning and managing accounting related projects such as the CAFR preparation (prepared internally), compilation, annual audit, single audit and various state and federal reports to ensure fiscal responsibility. The Assistant Controller develops internal controls to increase efficiencies throughout the City; establishes and implements organization policies and procedures for department operations; implements new complex accounting standards and laws that impact financial reporting and disclosure requirements. The Assistant Controller will also be responsible for reviewing work products, methods and procedures; coordinating internal and external audits; implementing accounting systems, procedures, and standards for the financial management system; and meeting with staff to identify and resolve problems.
Work Performed Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plans and manages accounting related projects such as CAFR preparation and compilation, annual audit, single audit and various state and federal reports to ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Develop and implement accounting systems, procedures, and standards for the financial management system.
- Directs the City's accounting methodology to comply with various accounting principles and standards in accordance with federal/state granting agencies and compliance agencies.
- Assist in the development in establishing and implementing organizational policies and procedures for department operations such as accounting, payroll, and treasury.
- Monitor effectiveness of policies and procedures and make revisions or recommendations for improvement as needed.
- Maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of accounting, including legislation, court rulings, and professional practices and techniques, incorporates new developments as appropriate.
- Develop internal controls to increase efficiencies throughout the City; develop forecast models; and prepare monthly financial statements and reports.
- Maintain the City's general and subsidiary ledgers.
- Assist in the implementation of new accounting standards and laws that impact financial reporting disclosures and requirements.
- Coordinates internal and external audits and makes recommendations on findings.
- Selects, trains, mentors, and evaluates assigned personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; plans, directs, coordinates, reviews, and assigns the work plan for accounting staff; reviews and evaluates work products, methods and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems.
Qualifications Recruitment Guidelines :Education
: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with course work in accounting, finance, business administration, or a closely related field.Experience
: Five (5) years of professional experience in governmental accounting, budget management, debt administration, revenue analysis, internal auditing, or finance, including two years in a supervisory capacity.Highly Desired Qualifications:
Necessary Special Requirement
- Four (4) years of public accounting experience performing financial audits of governmental entities.
- Experience and responsibility for preparing CAFRs for cities.
- Experience implementing new GASB pronouncements.
Possession of an appropriate, valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
Selection Process IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process.This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) athttp://www.naces.org/members.htmlor the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) athttp://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.