San Mateo Medical Center has oneExtra Help
opening for a full-time Nurse Practitioner (NP)
for the Medical Specialty Clinic
. Under general supervision, the successful hire will provide health care services such as conducting complete physical examinations, developing diagnostic impressions and managing care of patients in one or more specialty areas.
The selected NP will be fully competent to independently perform a variety of responsible health care services and other clinical procedures requiring a high degree of clinical judgment in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients in the assigned nursing area. Completion of a college or university-based Nurse Practitioner program, California NP registration, and BLS certification are required to apply.
The ideal candidate
will have at least 3 years of paid NP Acute Medical experience and can perform complex physical assessments and triaging. Other ideal qualifications include:
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis.
- Experience with Neurology, Nephrology, Endocrinology, Rheumatology, Pulmonology, and/or Gastroenterology.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy and preferably experienced with an electronic medical record system.
- Current NP furnishing license and verification of experience to furnish (if applicable)
- Bilingual skills preferred but not required (Spanish and English)
Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assess the health of patients to determine their physical, emotional and social status by taking a complete medical history, doing a physical examination, initiating screening and diagnostic procedures, evaluating results of clinical findings and laboratory tests, andreporting any abnormalities to a physician.
- Identify and manage in collaboration with a physician, common illnesses and/or other health problems and refer these problems or illnesses that require immediate medical attention to the appropriate practicing physician; assume on-going responsibility for follow-ups.
- Collaborate with physicians and other health professionals regarding health problems and illnesses following established protocol relative to diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Counsel parents or other family members regarding health problems and ongoing related health maintenance.
- Coordinate and facilitate referrals to other health or social agencies.
- Maintain accurate records of assessments, follow-ups and evaluations.
- Supervise the work of subordinate health workers and participate in professional and administrative meetings.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. Licensure/Certification:
- Possession of a California license as a Registered Nurse.
- Possession of a California license as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate.
The Nurse Practitioner Trainee requires enrollment in an accredited Nurse Practitioner training program leading to certification in one of the following options. The Nurse Practitioner requires certification in one of the options.Option l -
Pediatric: Primary health care for patients 17 years of age and under.Option 2 -
Family: Primary health care for patients of all ages.Option 3 -
Geriatric: Primary health care for older patients.Option 4 -
OB/GYN: Primary health care for obstetric and gynecologic patients. Knowledge of:
- Principles, practices and procedures used in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of common health problems as related to the clinical specialty.
- Fundamentals of clinical medicine as related to clinical specialty.
- Drugs commonly used in the area of specialty including the indications of their use, anticipated therapeutic effect, side effects and untoward reactions and contraindications.
- Safety and infection control practices and procedures.
- Normal and abnormal values of laboratory tests and their clinical significance.
- Operations and care of medical equipment and instruments used in the area of specialty.
- Laws and regulations pertinent to the practice of nursing and medicine applicable to assigned specialty.
- Community resources and referral systems.
- Provisions of the Nurse Practice Act.
- Assess the health status of patients.
- Provide health care services including the taking of a complete medical history, doing complete physical examination and other related clinical procedures.
- Identify and manage health problems common in the area of specialty.
- Develop and implement treatment plans for patients according to policies and protocol.
- Analyze and interpret health information/data including results of laboratory testing.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, professional staff and others.
- Follow safety practices and procedures.
- Maintain accurate records and preparing reports.
If you are interested in being considered for one of these extra help positions, the following materials must be electronically submitted in a Word or PDF format and emailed to Evelyn Haddad, Medical Director, San Mateo Medical Center at email@example.com.Cover letter
Responses to these supplemental questions:
1. Possession of a current California Nurse Practitioner license is required to qualify for this recruitment.Do you possess a current California Nurse Practitioner license?
(Please include your certificate number in your response. A "No" answer will disqualify you from this recruitment.)
2. Possession of a current Nurse Practitioner furnishing number issued by California's Board of Registered Nursing is preferred for this recruitment.Do you possess a current California Nurse Practitioner furnishing number?
(Please include your furnishing number in your response. A "No" answer may screen you out of this recruitment.)
3. Possession of a current and valid Basic Life Support Certificate (BLS) issued by the American Heart Association or a valid Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate issued by the American Red Cross is required to qualify for this recruitment.Which of the following certifications do you possess?
(List all that apply. Please include this information in your response.)
Basic Life Support Certificate (BLS) issued by the American Heart Association
Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate issued by the American Red Cross
None of the above
4. The ideal candidate will have 3 years of paid Acute MedicalNP experience. How many years of experience do you have?
3 or more years of experience
1 year or more but less than 3 years of experience
Less than one year
None but willing to learn
5. Describe the experience, education and training that have prepared you for a position as a Nurse Practitioner providing care services in an acute care/medical surgical setting.Be specific.
6. Give an example of your work experience as a Nurse Practitioner that best demonstrates your ability to work independently, with little or no supervision.Be specific about where the experience was gained, what your duties were and for how long you performed the job.
Please include thewords "Medical Specialty Nurse Practitioner - Extra Help Position" in the subject line
of email submission.All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format
Please submit the above listed materials via email to:Evelyn Haddad, Medical Director, San Mateo Medical Centerat firstname.lastname@example.org.Apply immediately. Resumés will be accepted until the positions are filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail.
Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (responses to supplemental questions, writing sample, graphic design sample(s) and a resume) will not be considered.At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.