The City of Fort Lauderdale is seeking dynamic and goal-driven employees. Employees that are motivated to take on today's greatest challenges and rewards in the field of local public service. Employees who are passionate about making a difference and achieving our mission: We Build Community, in a fast-paced organization that operates by vision, strategy, and action. Would you fit in? Apply now.The Building Services Division of the Department of Sustainable Development is seeking a Structural Plans Examiner.
This is responsible technical work of more than average difficulty in the review and analysis of plans and specifications to determine compliance with the City of Fort Lauderdale Building and Zoning Ordinances, the Florida Building Code, and related technical codes.
An employee in this class is responsible for Inspects a variety of construction blueprints, projects and permit applications to determine whether plans, specifications, and materials conform to legally established requirements including the Florida Building Code and all local laws and ordinances. Reviews plans and deals with the public, but also responsible for field assignments as necessary.
The employee must exercise considerable independent judgment; however, unusual and complex technical problems are reviewed with a superior. Work is reviewed through conferences, plan review reports and observation of results obtained. The City offers a wide variety of benefits to their employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City offers 401(a) participation with a 9% City contribution and no employee match!! Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan! That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness ( PSLF ) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit
www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Teamsters Local Union 769 and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
*** IMPORTANT ***
- Performs detailed review of building diagrams, blueprints, sketches, plans and specifications for compliance with the FBC and local regulations for construction, prior to issuance of building permits for proposed building construction, land use, or building development modifications
- Coordinates with the Building Official and the Floodplain Manager on issues concerning Floodplain Management, Coastal Construction and local Floodplain Ordinances
- Confers with engineers, contractors, builders, or owners and approves or disapproves, suggests modifications, recommends corrections to plans as necessary and returns plans for corrections and resubmission
- Computes and inputs data in order to calculate building permit and impact fees
- Assists in establishing policies, practices and procedures for the plans review section and ensures they are implemented with the approval of an immediate supervisor
- Occasionally assists with inspections of building installations in process for compliance with plans submitted, permit applications and building code requirements
- Assists in the investigation of complaints regarding violation of the applicable codes and ordinances and assists with the prosecution of violators when necessary
- Reviews and evaluates drawings and specifications; occasionally inspects buildings in the process of construction, alteration, or repair for compliance with plans submitted, permit applications and building code requirements related to flood resistant design and construction
- Electronically prepares reports and maintains inspection records of work performed and properly enters inspection data, including documents and images using provided hardware and software systems and equipment
- Assumes the role of the Chief Building Inspector in their absence
- Performs related work as required
Please note that this position requires that you obtain certification from the Broward County Board of Rules and Appeals (BORA) and keep this certification current to be employed at the City of Fort Lauderdale. JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
Special Requirements: Non-Essential Employees
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Additional qualifying work experience may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required education, at the division manager's discretion.
- Must be certified by the State of Florida, Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board (BCAIB), as a Structural Plans Examiner and Structural Inspector, and must meet at least one of the following:
- BORA Board Certification; Certificate of Competency as a General Contractor issued by an agency approved by the Broward County Board of Rules and Appeals (BORA)
- Must be licensed by the State of Florida, DBPR, as an Architect or Professional Engineer, having practiced for a minimum of five (5) years in the State of Florida, two (2) years of which shall have been within the High Velocity Hurricane Zone, or
- Must have Seven (7) years of combined experience as a licensed General Contractor (Unlimited), five (5) years of which shall have been construction experience in the Structural discipline, two (2) years of which shall have been within the HVHZ, and a minimum of two (2) years as a Structural Inspector, or
- Must have five (5) years of experience as a Structural Plans Examiner or Structural Inspector, and two (2) years of construction experience in the Structural discipline, which shall have been within the HVHZ, and certified by BCAIB
- Possess a Florida driver's license with an acceptable driving record, or be able to obtain one within thirty (30) days of hire.
will not be required to work during a declared emergency but may be required to work in some capacity after the declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine when the employee will be required to work.NOTE:
Required certifications must be kept current during employment in this class.HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION NOTE: This posting will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ) at time of application.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous