This LATERAL POLICE OFFICER position is designed for officers that are CURRENTLY employed with another agency AND have a Category I Nevada POST Certificate OR are currently employed as a Police Officer in one of the states listed on the Nevada P.O.S.T. website. To view these states, please visit: http://post.nv.gov/Training/Reciprocity/
A copy of the applicant's current and valid Peace Officer Certification certificate MUST be scanned and attached to the on-line application .
Under direct supervision of chain of command, this position is responsible for the performance of professional police work in preserving and protecting public peace and safety, protecting life and preventing crime through proper enforcement of the law.
- Minimum of two (2) years of current, continuous uninterrupted service with a law enforcement agency in the performance of duties directly related to Category I Nevada POST standards at time of application.
- Applicant shall possess a valid Category I (Police Officer) Nevada Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate or valid equivalent Peace Officer Certificate from one of the above listed states. A copy of the applicant's current and valid Nevada POST Category I certificate or equivalent MUST be attached to the online application
- U.S. citizen.
- Character above reproach pursuant to NRS 289.555 and NAC289.110.
- No person will be eligible for employment as a Police Officer who has been convicted of any crime for which the applicant is required to register and/or misdemeanor crime of domestic violence including use/attempted use of physical force.
- All personnel must reside in the greater Las Vegas Metropolitan area, such as North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, or the City of Las Vegas, unless authorized by the Chief of Police.
- Valid Nevada Class C driver's license at time of hire with satisfactory driving record.
- Valid Nevada Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Category I (Police Officer) certification.
- Vision 20/20 in best eye and not worse than 20/30 in worse eye with/without
- If correction is necessary, uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 in each eye.
- Must recognize 4/6 plates on titmus color vision test.
- Average hearing 1000/2000/3000 HZ must not exceed 25db.
- No single reading to exceed 35db at 500/1000/2000/3000/4000HZ.
- A hearing aid can be accepted with a letter from an audiologist indicating proper fit and level of hearing correction in both ears.
- Must meet City's medical standards and pass annual physical exam with an agency selected by the City and meet annual department standards within required time-frame.
- Must be able to work any shift or days of the week and work in a security type
- environment and manage stressful and potentially dangerous/difficult contact situations.
- Employees must be neat and clean in their appearance in public, whether in or out of uniform. Therefore, applicants with visible tattoos, brandings, and/or body piercings in areas of the body which cannot be covered by the appropriate dress required of this position will be disqualified, if they are not removed by the date of their background interview. Such markings may not be concealed using make-up or bandages. Further, tattoos or brandings anywhere on the body that promote racism/discrimination, indecency, extremist or supremacist philosophies, lawlessness, or violence, or contain sexually explicit material are prohibited.
- Applicants with gauged earlobes will also be disqualified if not corrected by their
- background interview.
Out of state applicant's additional requirements:
- MUST pass a Nevada POST approved Physical Agility Test after hire.
- MUST pass an 80 hour on-line Reciprocity certification training program after hire.
- MUST pass Nevada POST written state certification examination after hire.
- Peace Officer Certification MUST be current and no prior suspensions or revocations.
Applicants will be required to complete a supplemental background packet and any other appropriate measures as directed by the North Las Vegas Police Department and the Human Resources Department. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a medical examination (including drug screen) and a psychological evaluation with an agency selected by the City, a thorough background investigation including completion of a supplemental background packet as directed by the North Las Vegas Police Department and any other appropriate measures deemed necessary.
Condition of employment requires that the employee maintain proficiency in all areas as required by department standards and within department established time periods.
Failure to successfully complete the eighteen (18) month probationary requirements will result in immediate termination.
Additional information may be found in the Municipal Code Book, Title 2, Chapter 2.68, Section E.
How to Apply:
If this exciting and challenging career opportunity interests you, submit your application and attach your POST certificate via our online application process.
Resumes submitted without an Employment Application are not acceptable. City employees who meet the Lateral Police Officer Application Minimum requirements may apply for this position by submitting a completed online application .
Successful Lateral Entry Police Officer applicants will be placed on the appropriate lateral eligibility list for a period of two years from the date approved unless removed for cause or no longer meets the minimum requirements.
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- Regular and timely attendance is required.
Email: JoinNLVPD@cityofnorthlasvegas. com
Phone: 702-633-2255 or 702-633-1755
YouTube: North Las Vegas Police Department
- People Group: Police Non Supervisor
- Grade: POA-55
- Minimum Salary: 25.41
- Maximum Salary: 43.7
- Pay Basis: HOURLY