The JobImmediate opportunity for experienced Employee/Labor Relations professionals
seeking to advance their careers in a challenging and fast paced environment.PRIORITY REVIEW: November 16, 2020
The Human Resources Department
is recruiting for an Employee Relations Division Chief (ER Chief)
to administer the activities of the Employee Relations Division and lead a team of experienced and dedicated Human Resources professionals who serve as strategic business partners and trusted advisors to County leadership (e.g., department heads, managers, supervisors, etc.) and employees.
Through leadership anchored on integrity and professionalism, the ER Chief fosters an environment of collaboration and team building to support staff in providing responsive and objective counsel to administer all aspects of human resources, developing the workforce and positively impacting the community served.Key responsibilities include:
- Oversees all employee-employer activities for the County and participates in labor negotiations.
- Directs the staff and manages the activities of the Employee Relations Division, including administering the division budget.
- Administers the provisions of Memoranda of Understanding, Personnel Rules, and Employee Relations Ordinance.
- Advises and counsels department managers on trends in employee relations legislation and other labor relations matters.
- Participates in developing County management bargaining goals, objectives, and strategies and may assist in the negotiations process.
- Makes presentations before various decision-making bodies.
San Bernardino County has a diverse workforce of over 22,000 employees who are represented by eleven employee organizations comprised of 26 bargaining units. To learn more about San Bernardino County's Human Resources Department click HERE
*Official Title: Human Resources Division Chief Minimum Requirements Education:
A Bachelor's Degree in human resources management, industrial relations, organizational psychology, public or business administration, or another job relevant field.Experience:
Three (3) years of recent (at least one year within the last five years) advanced professional employee and labor relations experience in a large organization with multiple employee representation units. Experience must include handling grievances and disciplinary actions in a unionized environment and advising and counseling management primarily on employee and labor relations issues as well as a variety of other human resources issues. This experience must have included lead or supervisory responsibility for subordinate staff. All qualifying experience must be obtained within a public sector (i.e., government) agency or a large private sector employer with a large, union represented workforce (500+ regular employees). Substitution:
An additional two years of qualifying experience may substitute for the lead/supervisory responsibility.
Applicants with an acceptable combination of relevant education and qualifying experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities will be considered. Desired Qualifications
The ideal candidate
will be a well-rounded human resources professional with progressively responsible experience that includes supervision of professional human resources staff as well as:
Selection Process Application Procedure:
- A demonstrated record of achievement in the management of employee and labor relations
- A collaborative and inclusive, yet decisive, style of management that is conducive to establishing and fostering positive working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Extensive knowledge of public sector employee and labor relations
- Experience researching labor relations issues, costing labor relations proposals, administering employee relations ordinances and employment issues
- Successful outcomes in conducting or managing administrative hearings (PERB, Civil Service and Unfair Labor Practices), grievance arbitration, and disciplinary hearings
To receive consideration for this excellent opportunity, please complete and submit the online employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
Applications received after the published priority review date will be processed as needed; the recruitment may close at any time once a sufficient number of qualified applications are received. Apply ASAP
so as not to miss this great career opportunity.
Note: Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application and/or the supplemental questionnaire.
To ensure timely and successful submission of your online application, please allow ample time to complete and submit your application before the posted filing deadline. Applicants will be automatically logged-out if they have not submitted the application and all required materials prior to the posted deadline. Once your application has been successfully submitted you will receive an onscreen confirmation and an email. We recommend that you save and/or print these for your records.
If you require technical assistance, please click HERE to review the Government Jobs online application guide , or contact their Toll-Free Applicant Support line at (855) 524-5627. Please note that Human Resources is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by computer or browser used to submit the application. Selection Process:
The selection process will consist of a competitive evaluation of qualifications based on their application and responses to the supplemental questions. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the appointing authority for further consideration. Candidates advancing in the selection process will receive further information/instructions via email. Please click HERE for important Applicant Information and the County Employment Process
Closing Date/Time: Continuous