Description The City
The City of Santa Clara is a "full service" city - one of only a few communities in the Bay Area that has its own police, fire, library, recreation, and electric, water, and sewer utilities, as well as all of the other departments and civic amenities expected in a thriving community. Santa Clara is a family-oriented and business-friendly city, led by a city government that has developed an award-winning ethics program and a commitment to fostering public trust. Located in Santa Clara County at the southern tip of San Francisco Bay, about 45 miles south of San Francisco, Santa Clara is a strategic regional hub, convenient to freeways, airports, railroads, expressways, light rail, and other public transportation. The Department
The men and women of the Santa Clara Police Department take tremendous pride in providing the community with outstanding service through the "Santa Clara Way" of service. In partnership with the citizens, the team provides law enforcement services with professional and dedicated staff. The team will always identify and resolve problems utilizing all available resources and perform services professionally and with a high level of integrity. The Position
As a Public Safety Dispatcher I, this non-sworn entry-level classification dispatches public safety, fire, and emergency medical services out into the community. The successful incumbent will be responsible for answering the telephone, accepting emergency and non-emergency requests from the public, transmitting and analyzing information received and dispatching police and fire personnel accordingly. Upon successfully completing the probationary period, the incumbent must possess a current POST Basic Dispatch certificate and a Medical Priorities Dispatching System (MPDS) certificate to be eligible for promotion to Public Safety Dispatcher II.Applications must be filled out completely. Please do not substitute, "see resume" or "see personnel file" in the employment history section of the application. To be considered for this position, candidates must submit: 1) City Employment Application and Supplemental Questionnaire 2) Typing Certificate showing the ability to type 35 net wpm, (dated no earlier than 6 months prior to application, click here for Typing Certification Information) 3) Verification of a California POST Entry-Level Dispatcher Selection
Test Battery with a T-score of 50 or above
OR possession of a valid California POST Public
Safety Dispatcher Basic Certificate
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee admittance into the examination process. Only the most qualified candidates who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will be invited to test.
Each position in this classification may not include all the duties listed below, nor do the
examples cover all the duties that may be performed.
Operates base radio console equipment, transmitting and receiving routine and emergency messages
Receives emergency and routine requests for services from the public via 9-1-1, alternate emergency lines, and business lines
Dispatches appropriate emergency vehicles, equipment, and personnel in response to those requests, in accordance with established policies and procedures
Coordinates emergency operations between various departmental personnel and equipment
Operates data terminals for information pertaining to daily public safety operations, and general emergency services
Maintains written logs, files, and computer information in the prescribed manner
Updates computer files and performs other clerical functions and tasks as directed
Performs other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED; and
- Two (2) years of paid employment experience requiring a high level of public contact defined as customer service, a call center, or a closely related field where substantial face-to face or over-the-phone contact was made with the public; or
- One (1) year of experience answering and processing emergency phone calls from the public for law enforcement, fire department, or emergency medical service assistance.
- Possession of a valid California POST Public Safety Dispatcher Basic certificate may be substituted for six (6) months of the required employment experience.
- Classroom education involving fire science or law enforcement related studies.
- Certification of the ability to type at a net rate of 35 wpm on a computer keyboard is required.
- Successful completion of the California POST Entry-Level Dispatcher Selection Test Battery with a T-score of 50 or above or possession of a valid California POST Public Safety Dispatcher Basic Certificate is required at time of application.
- Possession of a valid California POST Public Safety Dispatcher Basic Certificate is required prior to completion of the probationary period. Medical Priorities Dispatching System (MPDS) certificate is required prior to completion of the probationary period.
Must be able to perform all the essential functions of the job assignment. All candidates will be
required to pass a City background investigation, which will include fingerprinting, polygraph
and/or psychological testing.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE POINTS:
This position qualifies for Veteran's Preference Points. Applicants who have separated from service (Active Duty Status) must submit proof of honorable discharge (Form DD214) with their application at time of filing. Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of Santa Clara will not sponsor, represent, or sign documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General public safety radio and telephone communications systems
- Police and fire emergency procedures
- Primary roads, streets, highways, major buildings, and public facilities within the City's boundaries
- Reading and interpreting maps; and maintaining accurate records
- Read, write, spell, and speak in clear, concise English
- Learn correct telephone answering techniques, policies and procedures
- Operate computer-aided dispatch (CAD) system with sufficient speed and accuracy to document field activity and create calls for service within response criteria guidelines
- Analyze situations quickly and accurately, while taking effective action to assure public safety provider and citizen safety
- Follow verbal and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and distinctly using radio and telephone equipment
- Maintain composure and work accurately in emergency situations
- Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals
- Establish and maintain tactful, courteous, and effective working relationships with those contacted during the course of work, including the general public
- Work in a confined area, wearing a headset which restricts physical movement about the work area
- Accurately enter data into the CAD system while simultaneously receiving information by phone or radio
- Retrieve data from CAD terminal or other keyboard device
- Maintain appropriate documentation of previous events, details, and conversations
- Work in a highly structured environment where all communications are recorded or documented and reviewed as public record
- Handle multiple priorities and organize workload
- Extract information or data from other computer systems
- View multiple video display terminals for extended periods of time in variable light conditions
- Distinguish and interpret the meaning of colors on video display terminals
- Distinguish and comprehend simultaneous communications from several sources
- Work continuously or uninterrupted as required, standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Perform with a high standard of customer service, professional conduct, and civic responsibility
- Use emergency medical questioning techniques and provide medical instructions via telephone when required
- Type at a net rate of 35 wpm on a computer keyboard