SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $3,513.00/month to $4,298.00/month (at a 1.0 time-base). PLEASE NOTE: The starting salary will be between $1,756.50/month to $1,952.75/month (at a 0.50 time-base).
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
The primary mission of the Office of Academic Programs and Services (APS) is to promote and support student academic success by providing leadership, advising, and additional student-focused programs and services. APS maintains a collaborative, campus-wide perspective in its efforts to ensure academic integrity and increase student persistence, retention, and timely progress to degree. APS is committed to supporting all of CSUEB's students, faculty, staff, and the larger community in the shared mission and vision for student success.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This Academic Advising position is a trainee position under the Student Services Professional (SSP) IA classification, an entry level classification in the SSP series. This SSP IA trainee appointment cannot exceed 12 months and permanent status cannot be earned under this classification. Upon successful completion of training and satisfactory performance under the SSP IA classification (not to exceed 12 months), this position may evolve to the next classification level - SSP IB. The incumbent, under the SSP IB classification, would be expected to perform similar duties with greater independence and under more limited supervision.
This is a temporary 3-year maximum grant funded position. If this position is reclassified to a SSP IB classification, this appointment cannot exceed three years from the initial date of hire. The 3-year maximum includes time spent in the SSP IA trainee classification.
Under close supervision and training by appropriate SSP II or SSP III, the Academic Advisor Trainee in unit will assist to identify students' academic advising issues, answer general advising questions, offer prescriptive advising information on well-established academic advising policies and procedures. The trainee will determine the urgency/complexity of students' needs to provide referrals to Academic Advisors, Directors, Department Chairs, and/or other appropriate campus resources, when necessary. This individual will maintain a professional and positive attitude when responding to inquiries, requests or complaints from students, faculty, or staff and assist in their resolution.
Under close supervision and training, Academic Advising Trainees are primarily responsible for advising a variety of CSU East Bay student populations, using well established academic procedures. Primary responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
* Conduct academic advising sessions based on well-established and documented academic advising procedures and policies for General Education, major and/or university graduation requirements.
* Review Degree Audit Reports for missing requirements and assist with major checks.
* Navigate and explain university policies, procedures and forms.
* Provide support to the assigned CSUEB unit for academic advising outreach (e.g. workshops, classroom presentations, orientation)
* Support professional and/or faculty advisors with office duties, data collection, and research projects (includes, but not limited to degree roadmaps, course selection and/or progress to degree review).
* Participate in academic advising trainings, as appropriate.
* Ability to learn and apply basic undergraduate academic policies, procedures and information that contributes to undergraduate student success.
* Possess the skill set to seek appropriate academic advising information, consulting with supervisor to confirm accuracy and timeliness of information, as needed.
* Excellent oral, written and organizational skills, and ability to respond quickly and accurately to requests.
* Willingness to and the ability to learn the use of advising technology platforms such as MyCSUEB, Bay Advisor (EAB Navigate), Google Suite and Zoom for academic advising.
* Demonstrate a desire to learn more about advising students on our campus.
* Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with highly diverse faculty and staff.
* Demonstrate compassion, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, cultural, ability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve.
* Flexibility and willingness to respond to other duties as assigned.
* Prior advising, counseling, or leadership experience are highly desirable but not required.
* Experience using various computer applications.
* Effective oral and written communication skills.
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences,
public or business administration or a job related field. Specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year for year basis.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* Graduate student at a CSU, preferably CSUEB.
* Prior academic advising experience, including peer advising, tutoring, and/or peer coaching.
* Interest in pursuing a career in higher education.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled