Summary WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist. OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-generated values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization. SUMMARY OF POSITION
The position of fitness specialist is responsible for providing a safe and effective exercise environment for Members and Guests through supervision of exercise equipment utilization and education of the Members and Guests in exercise. Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide warm welcomes and fond farewells to all Members/Guests with whom you interact.
- Provide supervision of the exercise and fitness areas of The Apex Centre, including assisting Members and Guests with their exercise and fitness program.
- Connect Members/Guests to other Members/Guests through ongoing contact and promotion of The Apex Centre activities.
- Provide exercise floor supervision, including greeting participants by name, exceeding their expectations with service, and inviting them back after they have completed their visit.
- Insure that all exercise areas and equipment are in safe and effective working condition, including cleanliness being maintained to The Apex Centre standards.
- Conduct oneself at all times in a manner of professionalism that aligns with the values, philosophies and standards of The Apex Centre. This includes wearing The Apex Centre approved uniform and nametag.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings.
- Adhere to all of the various written mandatory standards of operation, policies, procedures, manuals, memos, oral instructions, etc.
- Arrive to work on time, every day as scheduled.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
Required Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Knowledge of fitness and exercise standards.
- Knowledge of physiology and kinesiology.
- Knowledge of programming, fitness prescriptions, and baseline assessments.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
Minimum of one year's experience in the fitness or exercise industry. Certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire.Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
College degree in health, fitness or recreation related field preferred. Certification from national organization such as ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), ACE (American Council on Exercise), NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine), etc. preferred CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Physical Demands/Supplemental PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- No visible tattoos, body piercings, or unnatural hair color.
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally standing for long periods of time. Must be able to see, speak, and hear. Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with assistance if necessary. When spotting participants lifting heavy weights, trainers will ask for assistance from fellow co-workers if they feel they cannot perform the task alone. WORK ENVIRONMENT
The indoor environment provides for a safe and healthy work environment and is smoke and drug free. Occasionally, it may be wet and humid, as well as moderately loud. The outdoor work environment may result in exposure to extreme weather conditions such as heat, cold, and humidity.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous