The Position This recruitment will remain open for 11 months. The application review consists of all applications received by 11:59 pm 06/14/2021. Applications will be reviewed weekly.The City of Portland is now accepting applications for Seasonal Maintenance Workers. Candidates that apply may be considered for a position in Portland Parks & Recreation. Portland Bureau of Transportation and Portland Water Bureau currently do not have any vacancies but may utilize the eligible list in the future.Position Description:
Each bureau has provided a specific job description and duties in the Additional Information section below.
These are seasonal positions and vary in hours worked up to a maximum of 1400 hours per calendar year. Positions will be filled throughout the year. Wages are $15.65 per hour, with some benefits. This classification is represented by the Seasonal Maintenance Worker Laborers' Local 483. To view this labor agreement, please go to (https://www.portland.gov/policies/human-resources-policies/labor-relations/bhr-1783-labor-agreement-laborers-local-483
).City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here
. Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL
people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including medical, dental, and vision coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here
. Please note, Seasonal Maintenance Worker position is not eligible for PERS but may have work in other positions that are eligible.Work Location
Currently, these positions work outside, in various locations around Portland, in all weather conditions, and work around the public. The City is offering an optional information meeting for this recruitment. Please see the Additional Information section below for details. To Qualify The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
Applicant must also:
- Ability to learn and perform medium to heavy manual labor (for example, similar industries such as cleaning, landscaping, food service, carpentry, or warehouse experience) for extended periods, standing for long periods of time, and squatting or kneeling during the performance of work.
- Ability to follow simple instructions when performing heavy manual work involving repeated bending, reaching, and potential lifting of heavy objects.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other employees and the public without direct continuous supervision.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a diverse workforce.
- Ability to work outside in all weather elements and around the public.
The Recruitment Process Application Instructions
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Possess a current/valid state driver's license. Applicants must meet City "good driver" requirements
- Be able to pass a pre-employment physical, including a physical capacities test after an offer of employment has been made and accepted.
Applicants MUST FOLLOW the process below and submit the following application materials to be considered for this position. Failure to submit the required application materials will result in elimination from further consideration:
- A COMPLETED Work Experience section (may include unpaid and/or volunteer experience) clearly reflecting your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of the announcement. A RESUME is not required, Do NOT attach one.
- Submit responses to the minimum qualification Supplemental Questions.
Your application will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. It is preferred that applications be submitted via the City's online application process, if you need assistance, please contact the recruiter listed below. Do not attach materials not requested. A RESUME is not required, Do NOT attach one.
E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted at the time of your application.
Complete the online application and supplemental questions. An evaluation will be made of each applicant's training and experience, work history and supplemental questions as demonstrated in their application. Failure to respond or a "No" response to the minimum qualification questions
result in elimination from further consideration. If you are being considered for a vacancy, you will be contacted directly by the department with the vacancy. Your response to the supplemental questions (12-18) will be used to match you with the appropriate vacancy. Pre-Employment Testing
Physical Capacities Test Components
Unless you are a current City of Portland employee in a position requiring a similar or more demanding Physical Capabilities Test (PCT), you will be required to participate in and pass the pre-placement Physical Capabilities Test (PCT) as part of the conditional job offer you may receive for this position. The PCT is administered by an independent occupational expert and will consist of performing tasks similar to those you would do on the job. You may review the knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions for this job class by using the internet link: https://www.portland.gov/sites/default/files/2020-05/seasonal-maint-worker.pdf 3
. You should be prepared to do your best, use good body mechanics and be in good condition. While each job class will have its own tests, listed below are examples
of tasks you may be asked to perform:
•Crawl for 50 feet.
•Pull a weighted sled for 20 feet.
•Step up and down on an 11" platform for a 6 minute duration.
•Climb a vertical ladder as high as 6 feet.
•Turn a valve.
•Walk on uneven terrain.
•Carry a weighted crate (maximum distance is 50 feet); weight varies by job class.
•Lift a weighted crate from the floor to as much as 40" high; weight varies by job class.
•Detach, move and attach plastic forms from a full range of body positions, from lying on your back to reaching overhead.
•Lift dumbbells repetitively (maximum 20 lbs. each) from knee height to overhead. Additional Information Veterans' Preference:
If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations:
If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.Did you know?
The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: Events | Career Center | Portland.govOPTIONAL INFORMATION SESSIONS
To assist you in understanding the seasonal maintenance worker positions at Portland Parks & Recreation Only and the recruitment process, we will offer an Optional Information Session that will provide you with details about the position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job. You are welcome to join us for the optional session below Optional Informational Session: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:00pm - 1:00 pm Virtually via Zoom Zoom meeting link: https://zoom.us/j/99096253521?pwd=TDZ4UVlaRUhUaTR0eWpzb0VkblJpdz09 Meeting ID: 990 9625 3521
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,99096253521#,,,,*675153# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,99096253521#,,,,*675153# US (Houston)
Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 990 9625 3521
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ach6wn3GJ9 SEASONAL MAINTENANCE WORKER GENERAL DUTIES
Seasonal Maintenance Workers learn to perform a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled duties, including:
SEASONAL MAINTENANCE WORKER JOBS IN DIFFERENT BUREAUS Portland Parks & RecreationLearn more about Portland Parks & Recreation: https://www.portland.gov/parksPortland Parks & Recreations Seasonal Maintenance Worker Duties
- Assisting journey-level employees in performing the manual and semi-skilled tasks related to their work
- Operating sedans, pick-ups, smaller flatbed and dump trucks, and other automotive equipment not requiring a Commercial Driver's License to transport employees, materials, and equipment to worksites; performing pre-and post-trip safety inspection of vehicles
- Operating a variety of hand-held power tools, including drills, saws, grinders, sanders and other similar power tools
- Performing related duties as assigned, working independently, or as part of a crew under supervision
Portland Water Bureau and Portland Bureau of Transportation do not have any current vacancies but may use the eligible list from this recruitment for any future vacancies. Portland Bureau of Transportation
- Cleaning restrooms
- Mowing, trimming, weeding and care for landscape
- Cleaning and maintenance of facilities and equipment
- Landscaping (i.e. watering, mowing, raking, edging, trimming lawns)
- Natural area and trail maintenance
- Work zone traffic control
- Golf course maintenance and care
- Ballfields maintenance and care
- Urban Forestry tree establishment (i.e. mulching, hand weeding, raking, deep root tree watering, minor pruning, health assessing, and driving 1-ton Flatbed pickup equipped with water tank and pump throughout the City)
- Racetrack and grounds maintenance at Portland International Raceway (PIR)
Learn more here about the Bureau of Transportation:https://www.portland.gov/transportation
Additionally, the incumbent is an essential employee and a member of the bureau's 24-hour response team and may require after-hour, evening, weekend, and holiday emergency response. Portland Water Bureau
Learn more about Portland Water Bureau: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/water/ Questions?
Loan Tran, Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
(503) 865-6210Closing Date/Time: 12/30/2021 11:59 PM Pacific