The Position This is a continuous filing exam. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:12/11/20, 6/11/21
The Water Treatment Operations Supervisor is the supervisory class in the Water Treatment series. Positions in this series are involved in the operation, maintenance and repair activities of domestic water treatment systems and drainage pumping facilities and serve as a shift operator for a T-5 classified water treatment facility, as defined by California Department of Public Health (CDPH).
The Water Treatment Operations Supervisor supervises employees in classes such as Senior Water Treatment Operator, Water System Operator, Senior Equipment Mechanic and Equipment Mechanic, is responsible for a major component of the water treatment system, and serves as shift operator. An employee in this class may assist management in developing and implementing safety and training programs or planning and scheduling complex maintenance projects. Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- Water treatment and distribution system methods, principles and practices
- Laws, codes, rules and regulations pertaining to water treatment plant operations, water quality standards and safety
- General chemical principals, laboratory practices and techniques used in the treatment of surface and ground water
- A variety of computer software applications to include word processing, spreadsheets, database programs, SCADA and CMMS
- Procedures and corrective actions to respond to emergency and special operating conditions
- The operations, methods, materials, tools, equipment, and safety practices involved in the operation, maintenance, construction and modification of potable water treatment facilities, and storm water drainage systems
- Mechanical and electrical theory related to water treatment plants.
- Basic principles and practices of managing, planning and scheduling work.
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Operate a T-5 water treatment plant using a centralized computer system recognizing abnormal equipment or system conditions and understanding how actions in one plant process impacts one or more other plant processes
- Analyze operational or maintenance problems; develop and implement effective solutions
- Supervise, train and mentor personnel
- Perform standard water quality tests, interpret results and take appropriate action
- Estimate, plan, schedule and direct maintenance of complex mechanical equipment
- Maintain required inventory of operating supplies and treatment chemicals
- Perform mathematical calculations in various aspects of water treatment
- Maintain courteous and effective relationships with County employees and the general public with an emphasis on customer service
- Read, write, and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance
- Effectively communicate verbally and in written correspondence
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Use computer equipment and related peripheral equipment to enter and extract information
(1) Two years of full-time experience in the class of Senior Water Treatment Operator or Mechanical Maintenance Technician in Sacramento County service performing duties which have included the operation and maintenance of potable water treatment systems.
(2) Three years of full-time experience in the operation of public potable water treatment systems.General Qualifications
- A valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher is required prior to appointment to this class. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- A valid California Driver's License, Class A, and/or special endorsements including but not limited to the Hazardous Materials Endorsement is required for some positions. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
: Failure to maintain the appropriate California Driver's License and/or endorsement(s) constitutes cause for personnel action from the class in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining unit agreements.
- Water Treatment Grade 3 (T3) certificate: All incumbents must possess a valid Water Treatment Operator Grade 3 (T3) certificate issued by California Department of Public Health (CDPH) at the time of appointment.
- Water Distribution Grade 2 (D2) certificate: All incumbents must obtain a valid Water Distribution Operator Grade 2 (D2) certificate issued by the CDPH within one year after the date of appointment to this class or within two CDPH exam cycles after the date of appointment to this class whichever is greater.
- Water Distribution Grade 3 (D3) certificate: Incumbents must obtain a D3 certificate within two years and 3 months after the issue date of their D2 certificate or two years and 3 months after appointment to this class if they have the D2 certificate at time of their appointment.
- First Aid and CPR certification: If supervising the confined space team, incumbents must possess and maintain First Aid and CPR certificates from an authorized agency.
: Failure to obtain and maintain the appropriate certificates may constitute a cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining unit agreement. The appropriate amount of continuing education hours must be completed as required by the State of California to maintain the required certification.
Criminal History Check :
The County may access criminal history information on all candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedure B-5 and applicable Federal and State law. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
Physical Requirements :
- Climb, stand, walk, bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crouch and reach above the shoulder
- Lift up to 50 pounds
- Wear respiratory protection
- Sit for up to one hour while driving a vehicle
- Demonstrate color vision sufficient to distinguish the colors on a computer screen that indicate equipment status and conditions
- Have normal sense of smell and normal or corrected vision and hearing to observe process and equipment functions for normal and abnormal occurrences
- Have normal sense of touch to detect abnormalities/changes in temperature, flow and vibration of equipment.
: Individuals who do not meet these physical requirements due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Working Conditions :
- Work around chemicals, dust, dirt, noise, and odors
- Work around hazardous materials such as; caustic soda, fluoride products, hydrochloric acid, sodium hypochlorite, aluminum sulfate and other water treatment chemicals
- Work outside in all types of climatic conditions including inclement or very hot weather
- Ability to climb to heights up to 150 feet
- Inspect enclosed areas where the temperature may exceed 100 degrees
- Enter, exit and inspect work in enclosed and confined spaces
Shift, Weekend, and Holiday Work :
Incumbents may be required to work shifts, on weekends and on holidays and to work standby and respond to emergency calls.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six(6)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous