Introduction Please note: The salary range as of June 20, 2021 will be $14.62 - $21.26 per hour.
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
.About The Position
Recreation Leader II's supervise, plan, organize, and facilitate a variety of recreation and sport activities for youth and adults at schools, neighborhood parks, community centers, senior centers, tennis centers and gyms. Work schedules can vary depending on the needs of the facility and require evenings, weekends, and holidays. Please note:
if your application is selected for an interview, be sure to check your email Junk/Spam folders for possible notifications and self-schedule invitations from NeoGov. Adaptive Services Center Assignment:
Plans, implements, and evaluates recreation programs for youth, teens, and/or adults with developmental, physical, emotional and/or learning disabilities. Provides physical assistance to participants as needed, as well as participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of individual behavior plans. Adult Sports Assignment:
Provides organized league play, tournaments, and events for recreational sports teams. These programs provide physical, social, and emotional benefits to adults in Scottsdale and surrounding communities. Programs are run year-round at various Scottsdale parks and Scottsdale Unified School District campuses. Adult Sports staff support these programs by providing site supervision, score keeping, and/or officiating. Club SAR Fitness Center Assignment:
Club SAR is a multi-sport facility which provides many options for beginners, fitness enthusiasts, and everyone in between to accomplish their fitness goals. The fitness center itself hosts a variety of fitness classes, has numerous pieces and types of cardio equipment, free weights and weight machines, and men's & women's changing/locker rooms. Club SAR staff supports the facility by being knowledgeable about the center's products and services, maintaining a clean and friendly environment, and by providing quality customer service for all fitness users. K-8th Youth Development Assignment:
Provides after-school and seasonal enrichment programs for children in 1st through 8th grade. These programs contribute to the overall development of children by enhancing their physical, mental and social well-being. The programs are held year-round at Mountain View Park, Horizon Park, and Scottsdale Unified School District campuses throughout Scottsdale and surrounding communities. Youth development staff support these programs by providing on-site supervision, program planning, and active team participation. McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park Assignment:
Home to the valley's premier destination for all things trains. It is a unique site featuring multiple rides including two miniature railroads and one antique carousel, a historical railroad museum, model railroad building and two play areas. This location also hosts a variety of special events throughout the year providing family fun for the community. There are multiple opportunities to provide excellent customer service in the areas of ride operations, ticket and souvenir sales, museums and concessions. Park, Community, and/or Senior Center Assignment:
Provides assistance within public facilities where members of the community gather for a wide variety of recreational activities, social interaction, public information, and city events. These unique Scottsdale facilities promote health, recreation, education, fitness, and social services for individuals of all ages and abilities. Community center staff support these facilities by striving to maintain clean environments, friendly interaction with customers, and by providing constant on-site supervision to ensure safety. Pinnacle Peak Park Assignment:
Pinnacle Peak Park is a 150-acre park that features a 1.75 mile one-way trail through the Sonoran Desert. Due to an elevation gain of 1,300 feet, it is important to note that this assignment will involve a candidate's ability to hike at least 4 miles over uneven terrain and in all types of extreme weather conditions. This position will include working weekends, weekdays and holidays with hours that may vary from pre-dawn to after dusk. Professional Baseball:
Provides assistance with operational matters throughout Scottsdale Stadium, including administrative duties, set-up/tear-down, game day operations, and light facility maintenance. The Scottsdale Stadium is an 11-acre multi-use facility that is not only the spring training home to the San Francisco Giants and the MLB Arizona Fall League, but also numerous special events, festivals, concerts and parties. Successful candidates must be willing and able to w orks various shifts (days, nights, weekends, and holidays) depending on baseball and event schedules. Tennis Center Assignment:
Provides assistance with recreational tennis leagues, adult and junior lessons, tournaments, general play and more. These facilities promote health and fitness and social interaction for individuals of all ages. In addition to outstanding customer service and maintaining positive relationships with the community, employees may gain valuable experience through tennis league coordination, adult and junior lesson management, tennis court scheduling or specials events. No tennis experience required.
Multiple assignments will be filled at facilities throughout the City, and some may require driving a City-owned vehicle and/or EZ-Go. Assignments are part-time and may be temporary or on-going. Please note: these positions have limited benefits, as required by law
. Part-time positions are unclassified, at-will and serve at the discretion of City
.Interviews will be conducted periodically throughout the recruitment period based on the needs of the City.The starting rate of pay is $14.33 per hour; additional compensation may be applied dependent upon years of experience and/or certifications.
To apply, please complete the City's on-line application and supplemental questionnaire. Interviews will be conducted periodically throughout the recruitment period based on the needs of the City. Only applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and have flexible schedules will be invited to interview.Click here
for information about park locations and the programs offered. Selection Process
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include an interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
- Drug Screening
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements
- A minimum of six months experience in a customer service position.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Successfully complete driving training, first aid, and safety classes.
- A valid food handler's license ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire or promotion is required, depending on assignment.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Plans, organizes, and conducts: special events, games, sport activities, and arts and crafts for children of all ages and adults at a recreation facility, Neighborhood Park, or school facility.
- Communicates effectively in person and on the telephone with park patrons or program participants. Performs on-site participant registration for recreational activities.
- Oversees nightly/daily room set-up/usage by reservation groups.
- Maintains discipline, order, and crowd control at activity site.
- Prepares and distributes flyers, posters, and other advertisement for area programs.
- Functionally observes one or more staff members (volunteers, paid staff, community services workers) in all park areas and facilities.
- Observes park patrons and program participants.
- Answers phones, writes reservations, and verbally responds to citizens/park patrons on the phone or in person.
- Transports recreation program participants in a City vehicle for off-site excursions, depending on assignment.
- Sets up, tears down and cleans up for events, projects and programs.
- Maintains safety and security of facility, including all aspects of recreation, planning and programming.
- Maintains responsibility for equipment at facility and ensures proper storage and inventory are completed daily.
- Uses personal computer to prepare quality written documents including: accident and incident reports, event flyers, e-mails, and electronic timesheet.
- Performs cashier duties including: greeting customers, answering the phone, handling customer inquiries, accepting payment of fees, handling cash according to City policy and procedures, issuing passes, and completing all necessary reporting and record keeping documentation.
- May be asked to lead a team or project including coordinating daily activities of staff.
- May be expected to 'stand in' in the absence of management.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Click here to review the entire job description. The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Move objects up to 50 pounds a long distance (greater than 20 ft.), such as setting up tables, sound and lighting equipment, booth frames, and lifting trash bags.
- For some assignments, be able to lift up to 50 pounds, bend, stoop, stand for long periods of time, and scoop ice cream requiring repetitive arm/hand movement.
- Work days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 6/30/2021 11:59 PM Arizona