Position Description MULTIPLE POSITIONS FOR SEASONAL LABORERS APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.POSITIONS WILL BE SCHEDULED FOR 3 - 6 MONTHS.
The City of Tacoma is seeking highly motivated people devoted to public service to join our team in providing exceptional service to the citizens and rate payers of Tacoma. Laborers are generally hired on a temporary basis (normally employed for a period of one hundred twenty (120) calendar days or less) to perform heavy manual labor, and can work with different Departments at the City of Tacoma and Tacoma Public Utilities. This is a great opportunity to join the City of Tacoma and acquire valuable work skills and gain relevant municipal experience. This isalso a very good job for those seekingshort-term employment. If the below list of personal traits sounds like you, then you are just the type of person we are looking for to joinour teamas atemporary Laborer.
Examples of job responsibilities:
- Enjoy working both indoors and outdoors, in all types of weather conditions
- Reliable and detail oriented
- Great customer service
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Enjoysphysically demanding workand completing avariety oftasks
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Sweeps streets, gutters and alleys, loads dirt from streets into a truck; removes snow from sidewalks and stairs, and spreads sand or salt on icy streets
- Cut grass and remove weeds on parking strips; rain gardens, ponds and ditches; rakes and loads grass and brush; mows lawns and cleans grounds; cuts trees and brush along rights-of-way; plants, waters and assists in care of shrubs, flowers and grass
- Digs ditches, trenches, and post holes and loads dirt and construction materials
- Pours concrete and fills pavement cracks with asphalt and shovels asphalt paving mix in repairs of streets
- Uses a jackhammer to break asphalt or concrete; shovels broken material into a dump truck
- Builds, repairs, cleans and maintains solid waste containers
- Delivers and removes solid waste containers for customers
- Picks up debris on and around the grounds and the buildings at the Recovery and Transfer Center
- Uses a pressure washer
- Uses manual and power tools
- Performs traffic control for job sites
- Performs light to medium manual labor and related duties as assigned.
Candidates must successfully complete a physical ability test as a condition to hire.
- Outdoor and indoor environment; subject to noise and fumes from equipment operation and adverse weather conditions.
- Position requires heavy lifting, climbing, hoisting and pulling
- Some positions may require working weekend, holidays and flexible hours
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
Tacoma's diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma's entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play. Qualifications EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Some experience in performing heavy manual work; completion of the eighth grade; or any equivalent combination of experience and training.LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Driver's License will be required at time of appointment with maintenance thereafter. Knowledge & Skills KNOWLEDGE OF:
- Applicable occupational hazards and safety precautions
Selection Process & Supplemental Information WHY WORK FOR THE CITY?The City of Tacoma offers a generous program of employee benefits:
- Ability to understand and follow specific oral instructions
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods, often under adverse climate conditions
- Maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Operate motor vehicles
- Perform heavy manual labor
- Outstanding working conditions and an exceptional quality-of-life environment.
- Medical coverage for eligible employees, spouses and dependents, including children up to age 26.
- Dental coverage for eligible employees and their elected dependents, including dependent children up to the age of 26.
- Deferred compensation allowing tax-deferred savings as authorized under Section 457 of the IRS Code.
- Personal time off.*
- Paid holidays.*
- A great pension plan.*
**Temporary Employees are eligible for benefits coverage. Please see link for an overview guide of the benefit plans and programs offered by the city; including general information on effective dates, options, costs, and coverage.
The City of Tacoma believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success.This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.To be considered for this opportunity:Interested individuals must apply online and meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the referral process.
NOTE: This is a Continuous Recruitment that will remain open for an indefinite period of time.It is in the best interest of all candidates to ensure your application materials are submitted via our on-line processas soon as possible, as Hiring Managers from any City of Tacomaor Tacoma Public Utilities Department may select candidates for interview at any time. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on thereferral list for interview and hiring consideration. Once on the list, candidates may be considered for temporary Laborer vacancies at the City of Tacoma for one year.Interviews may include a practical demonstration of skills and/or completion of a skills/knowledge assessment.
Per City of Tacoma Personnel Management Policy #170, the City of Tacoma is a drug-free work environment. Appointment is subject to passing a background check and a pre-employment medical exam and drug screen and physical ability test.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Teamsters Local Union #117.Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, callthe Human Resources officeat (253) 591.5400 before 4:00 pm of the closingdateof the job announcement.