ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Department has the pleasure of providing police services to the Town of Los Gatos and contractually to the City of Monte Sereno. The Department's vision is to accomplish three things: build a highly competent and professional Police Department, develop community relationships, and engage the community in problem solving. The Department is comprised of 59 sworn and civilian staff members, and over 150 community volunteers committed to providing the highest quality of service with a small town feel to residents, businesses, and visitors.THE POSITION
The Town of Los Gatos is accepting applications for Victim Services Unit (VSU) volunteers to serve within the Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Department. To view this exciting volunteer position click here . Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
- Provide immediate field and office resources, outreach, and guidance to victims of crime by either personal contact, phone conversation, email, or letter. The VSU member would strive to identify the specific needs and refer them to the appropriate community resources or follow-up with the investigating Los Gatos - Monte Sereno Police Officer; provide follow-up to assure victim's needs are being met.
- Advise and provide support for victims to reduce their stress and anxiety by keeping them informed of the status of cases; explain criminal justice and police procedures and be available to respond to their questions and concerns regarding the criminal justice process.
- Prepare victims of crime for their participation in the criminal justice system by educating them on the criminal justice process and the various steps involved.
- Establish and maintain a list of community referral and service agencies.
- Keep current of and interpret rules, regulations and policy regarding State victim reimbursement and restitution programs eligible per 13835 PC.
- Serves as a liaison between the victim and community resource agencies, police agencies and judicial agencies.
- Attend training or take part in available online training to stay current on issues, trends and developments in the field of victim services programs and resources. Attend and seek professional trainings to enhance current level of subject matter expertise.
A combination of experience, education, and/or training which substantially demonstrates the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Skills and ability to:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, both internally and externally.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships with other staff members, other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to deal tactfully, cooperatively and effectively with LGMSPD staff members and the public, including people from different racial, ethnic and cultural groups and from different backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Attend trainings and complete online education sessions as required by annual training plan or at the request of a Department Supervisor.
- Gather and analyze data and draw logical conclusions and/or recommend an effective course of action.
- Communicate orally for the purpose of gathering sensitive, factual information from victims of crime.
- Maintain a calm nature under emotionally charged situations with an awareness of crisis intervention and recognition strategies.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, evenings, and other irregular hours as needed.
Final candidate must successfully pass a background investigation including, but not limited to:Department of Justice fingerprinting, and drug screening. Supplemental information APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Application submissions for the position will be accepted on a continuous basis and complete application packets will be reviewed periodically. To be considered for this outstanding volunteer opportunity, please complete an application online by clicking "Apply" at the top of this announcement. If this is your first time applying for a position using governmentjobs.com, you will be prompted to create a new user account, otherwise log in with your user name and password. Your application and responses to any supplemental questions will be used to evaluate your qualifications for this position. A resume may be attached to your application but will not substitute for the proper completion of your application.