THE RIVERSIDE POLICE DEPARTMENT IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF POLICE OFFICER LATERAL/PRE-SERVICE. THE ELIGIBILITY LIST ESTABLISHED FROM THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL CURRENT AND FUTURE VACANCIES WITHIN THIS CLASSIFICATION.
The Riverside Police Department is dedicated to selecting only those individuals who meet the highest of professional standards with a commitment to serving all members of their community with sensitivity, empathy, and impartiality.
Police Officers under direct supervision, perform law enforcement and crime prevention work; control traffic flow and enforce state and local traffic regulations; perform investigative work; display an awareness of, and empathy towards all persons who they come into contact with; and perform related duties as required.Additional Pay Incentives:
- 3% Bilingual Pay
- 1.5% Motor Pay & 1.5% Collateral SWAT, Sniper, Hostage Negotiator Pay
- Lateral Officers may be eligible to retain their current PERS retirement formula
- 10% Intermediate POST Pay
- 15% Advanced POST Pay
- 12 Month Probationary Period for Laterals
All Police Officers work four ten-hour days.
Work Performed Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Patrol city in radio car, on motorcycle, or on foot; answer calls for the protection of life and property, and the enforcement of City, County, and State laws; may conduct both preliminary and follow-up investigations of disturbances, prowlers, burglaries, thefts, holdups, vehicle accidents, death, and other criminal incidents.
- Make arrests as necessary; interview victims, complainants, and witnesses; interrogate suspects; gather and preserve evidence; testify and present evidence in court.
- Contact and cooperate with other law enforcement agencies in matters relating to the investigation of crimes and the apprehension of offenders.
- Prepare reports of arrests made, investigations conducted, and unusual incidents observed.
- Serve warrants and subpoenas.
- While on patrol, stop drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws; warn drivers against unlawful practices; issue citations and make arrests as necessary; check buildings for physical security; receive, search, book, fingerprint, and transport prisoners; direct traffic at fire, special events, and other emergency or congested situations.
- Maintain contact with citizens regarding potential law enforcement problems and preserve good relationships with the general public.
- As assigned, perform specialized investigative, identification, crime prevention, special operations, aerial observation, communications or juvenile work.
Qualifications Police Officer Pre-Service:
Education: High school graduation or equivalent.
Experience: Within the last three
(3) years, applicant must have successfully completed a California Basic POST Certified Academy or Level One Modular Academy. Applicants may also qualify if they have reached the half-way point
of either the Basic Academy or Level One Modular Academy; however, the applicant must have successfully graduated the academy by time of appointment.Police Officer Lateral:
Education: High school graduation or equivalent.
Experience: Must have completed a California Basic POST Academy and be currently employed
as a sworn Police Officer, Deputy Sheriff, or related Law Enforcement Officer with a law enforcement agency in the State of California.Necessary Special Requirement:
As part of the requirement to be considered for the Police Officer Lateral/Pre-service position, applicants need to complete and submit a Personal History Statement (PHS) with their application. A copy of the PHS document can be viewed and downloaded HERE, or by visiting the California POST website HERE.
- Possession of a valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, as well as days, swing and graveyard shifts.
- Candidates selected must pass an extensive police background investigation including a polygraph, psychological evaluation and medical evaluation.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. Qualified applicants will be invited to a physical agility test. Candidates who are successful in the physical agility test MAY be invited to continue compete in a structured interview. Additional phases of selection include successfully passing an extensive police background investigation, a polygraph, a psychological evaluation, a medical evaluation and illegal drug testing. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification. POST Standards Requirements:
Any visual defect must correct to 20/20 in both eyes. If soft contacts have been worn successfully for 3 months any defect is acceptable if corrected to 20/20. Must receive a passing score on color blindness test and depth perception. Applicants must be able to pass the POST Hearing in Noise Test (HINT). Weight must be in proportion to height as determined by a physician.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment. IMPORTANT
: Appointment is subject to successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, medical/physical examination, and drug and alcohol test; and may be subject to polygraph examination, and/or psychological examination As part of the background investigation, all claims of education and experience made in the employment application process, as well as other information submitted, will be verified. Appointed candidates are required to submit an official copy of educational transcripts verifying obtained degrees or certificates as indicated on the employment application. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. Some candidates may be disqualified indefinitely due to the results of their background investigation.All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.
The City of Riverside does not reimburse any expenses incurred as a result of this recruitment. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.