COMPREHENSIVE CARE NURSE II
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public
and will remain open for a minimum of five (5) business days. This recruitment will be open on a continuous basis and will close at 11:59 PM (PST)
on the day the County's needs are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This list will be used to fill current and future Comprehensive Care Nurse II positions within the Health Care Agency, Correctional Health Services. This eligible list may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange. THE OPPORTUNITY
The County of Orange, Health Care Agency
is hiring Comprehensive Care Nurses to provide direct routine and emergency nursing services to youth housed in juvenile correctional facilities or in an emergency shelter facility. Juvenile Health Services is committed to providing quality professional nursing care for youth under our care.JUVENILE HEALTH SERVICES Juvenile Health Services (JHS)
is a division of the Health Care Agency's Correctional Health Services. It provides medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care to youth who reside in the County's four residential facilities operated by Probation and Social Services Departments and contracts with hospitals for inpatient and specialty care.
The Comprehensive Care Nurse II will perform the following specialized duties:
JHS is a 24 hour, 7 day a week operation, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays and may have to provide on-call coverage.Nursing personnel work 8 hour shifts, alternating weekends and holidays.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- Perform nursing assessments and obtain patient histories relative to present complaint, physical or emotional illness, past medical history, familial and social history
- Perform comprehensive nursing assessments and refer to higher level of care as necessary, to Pediatrician, Nurse Practitioner, on-call providers or off-site referrals
- Obtain and interpret vital signs: temperature, blood pressure, pulse, respiration and pain scale assessment
- Implement Standardized Nursing Protocols
- Conduct youth sick call
- Administer treatments, drugs, medications and immunizations as prescribed by clinicians or nursing protocol
- Review and maintain accurate and concise patient medical records; observe, identify, interpret documents and data and report changes in patient's condition; monitor outcomes
- Document in Subjective-Objective-Assessment-Plan (SOAP) or narrative format, when applicable in electronic health record
- Dress minor wounds and injuries
- Perform venipuncture and other laboratory testing
- Respond to medical or psychiatric emergencies within the facility
- Provide guidance, education and counseling to patients and/or family regarding health or mental health issues
- Perform patient releases and assist in discharge planning and transfer to other facilities to ensure continuity of care
- Participate in staff development and educational programs to maintain professional competency
- Other work as assigned
The ideal candidate must possess extensive experience in the following core competencies:Nursing Expertise and Knowledge of:
Adaptability, Compassion, Critical Thinking and Safety:
- Routine and emergency nursing services to pediatric/adolescent population according to State and Federal Standards
- Title 15, Title 22 and National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC) standards, ensuring nursing services are rendered according to community standards and JHS Policies and Procedures
- Complexity of clients with chronic illness that are medical and mental health related, such as; substance use disorders, etc.
- Common medical and mental health complaints of youth including but not limited to: substance use disorders and its complications, anxiety, depression, chronic illness, etc.
- Performing triage and assessment competently
- Making sound clinical nursing decisions
- Using technology and other healthcare related systems effectively
- Pediatric or Adolescent Nursing experience is highly desirable
- Working effectively in a changing and stressful environment, and making adjustments as necessary
- Reducing correctional-related or dependent care-related liability risks by being compliant with Federal, State laws and mandated standards
- Developing resiliency by maintaining energy, tenacity, and continuously provide compassionate care in fulfilling nursing responsibilities
- Managing multiple clients needing triage effectively and efficiently
- Being aware of any environmental hazards while working inside the facility
- Being alert and aware of personal safety and security while providing care and/or treatment to medical and mental health clients
- Working collaboratively and communicating professionally at all times
- Applicants must not have felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- JHS is a 24 hour, 7 day a week operation, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays and may have to provide on-call coverage
Please click here
to view the Minimum Qualifications for the Comprehensive Care Nurse II
classification as well as the physical & mental requirements and the environmental conditions.RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all application materials for minimum and desirable qualifications. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All applicants will be notified via email of their status in the process. Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy. Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applications exhibiting qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step. Online Assessment | Technical Skill Assessment (Weighted 100%)
Qualified candidates will be invited to participate in a job-related assessment. Candidates will be notified of their date and access code, if applicable. Only the more qualified candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedure listed above may be modified. All applicants will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
Once all assessments have been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.Please note:
The information you provide on your application and/or response to the supplemental questions may be used as a scoring device, so please be thorough and complete in your response. "See Resume" is not a qualifying response and will not be scored in lieu of the required information.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION :
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at http://www.governmentjobs.com FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Patricia Fallon
at (714) 834-4635 or firstname.lastname@example.org,
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.