COMPREHENSIVE CARE NURSE PRACTITIONER IISpecialty in Psychiatry/Mental Health
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following date:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Salary may be negotiablewithin the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.This recruitment is open to the public for a minimum of five (5) business days, and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST) on the day the County's needs are met.
The eligible list established through this recruitment will be used to fill current and future Comprehensive Care Nurse Practitioner II positions within Health Care Agency, Correctional Health Services until the next recruitment. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications.THE OPPORTUNITY:
The County of Orange, Health Care Agency
is hiring Comprehensive Care Nurse Practitioners who are committed to providing the highest quality mental health care services to work within Correctional Health Services (CHS)
The position will be assigned to work in Adult Correctional Health Services (ACHS)
program. The ACHS program provides mental health, medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care to all adult inmates in the County's five (5) correctional facilities and contracts with hospitals for inpatient and specialty care.
The ACHS also provides mental health services including 24-hour emergency triage and crisis intervention, suicide prevention, treatment beds, individual and group therapy, substance abuse counseling, medication assessment and discharge planning to all adult inmates in the County's five (5) correctional facilities.
Under direction with the ACHS Administrative Nurse Practitioner and Medical Director, and in collaboration with a Psychiatrist, the Comprehensive Care Mental Health Nurse Practitioner II general duties are as follows:
- Conduct psychiatric assessment and treatment of mentally ill clients
- Prescribe medication
- Perform crisis intervention and suicide prevention
- Independent assessment and evaluation of inmates and detainees including dual diagnosis and seriously mentally ill (SMI) clients
- Case management/rotation through all adult jails
- Medication evaluation, treatment and follow-up
- Weekend coverage of the jail inpatient psychiatric unit may be required
- Consult with psychiatrist as needed
For definition, class characteristics, and additional duties of the Comprehensive Care Nurse Practitioner II position click here. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
The ideal candidate will have one (1) or more years of experience as a Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate the following:Clinical Expertise:
Client Focus, Decision Making, Communication and Patience:
- Performing psychiatric assessments, including interviewing patients to obtain complete medical histories as well as ordering, interpreting and evaluating diagnostic tests and examinations
- Establishing and documenting treatment plans and prognosis, maintaining records of each case that are detailed and complete for any psychiatrist/physician reviewing to evaluate the effectiveness of the plan
- Following standardized protocol in initiating drug therapy, taking responsibility for appropriate dosage, indications, contradictions and side effects
- Assuming preceptorship and other supervision responsibilities for Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric/Mental Health nursing student as needed
Adaptability, Compassion, Critical Thinking and Safety:
- Working as part of an inter-disciplinary team
- Creating a climate of patient-centered care to include confidentiality, privacy, comfort, emotional support, mutual trust and respect
- Applying ethically sound solutions to complex issues related to mentally ill clients
- Relaying essential medical information efficiently to mental health staff for client's continuity of care
- Being tolerant with other CHS staff and processes, including OC Sheriff personnel
- Working effectively in a changing and stressful environment, and making adjustments as necessary
- Reducing jail-related liability risks by being compliant with Federal and State laws and mandated standards
- Providing genuine and compassionate nursing care towards incarcerated clients
- Being aware of any environmental hazards while working inside the facility
- Being alert and aware of personal safety and security while providing care and/or treatment to unstable or unpredictable clients
- Applicants must have no felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- Must be able to pass and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes; completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.)
- The Correctional facilities is a 24 hour, 7 day a week facility, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays
The Comprehensive Care Nurse Practitioner II incumbents are required to pass a comprehensive background investigation prior to offer and acceptance of employment. For additional Special Requirements information click here. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
For detailed information on Comprehensive Care Nurse Practitioner II
minimum qualifications, including Physical and Mental Requirements, Environmental and Working Conditions click here. RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all applications to identify the qualified candidates for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the County. After the initial screening, the qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.Application Appraisal Panel | Application Rating
(Weighted 100%): An Application Appraisal Panel (AAP) of job knowledge experts will thoroughly screen and evaluate all application materials for job knowledge, competencies, and related experience described above. Only the most qualified candidates will be placed on the eligible list.
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List:
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contactRaymond Mendoza
at (714) 834-6755 or firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous