In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment will be open to the public for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 PM (PST) on the day the County's needs are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time without further notice.
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open Eligible List to fill current and future Epidemiologist vacancies within Health Care Agency until the next recruitment. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications. HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange
, Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven service areas - Administrative and Financial, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Regulatory & Medical Services, Office of Care Coordination, Strategy & Special Projects and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL DIVISION
Investigates individual cases and outbreaks of communicable diseases of public health importance in order to prevent their spread. Monitors and analyzes trends in reportable communicable diseases and provides information to community partners including doctors, hospitals, schools, the public and news media. Services including education and preventative treatment are provided to individuals who have or are at risk of contracting certain communicable diseases. THE OPPORTUNITY
The Epidemiologist will support reportable communicable disease surveillance, investigation and reporting, and will be a critical component of the HCA's response to communicable disease outbreaks and events of public health concern.
Major responsibilities of the position also include:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- Designing and participating in surveillance and epidemiological studies of communicable diseases
- Conducting and completing outbreak/cluster investigations for communicable diseases
- Reviewing, monitoring, and interpreting local data to identify and describe disease trends
- Participating in the development and operation of data systems for the monitoring of disease status and trends
- Preparing written and oral presentations of epidemiological findings and complex statistics in a concise and accurate manner
- Performing statistical analysis on large data sets for surveillance and epidemiological studies utilizing computer programs such as SPSS, ArcGIS, MS Office Software including Access, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Providing consultation with staff and the public on data and epidemiology issues
The ideal candidate will have at least six (6) months of experience in public health and/or communicable disease surveillance and communicable disease reporting and investigation. The ideal candidate will also have at least six (6) months of experience using analytical statistical methods and statistical software such as Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS).
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following core competencies:Technical Knowledge/Experience
- Management of data from surveillance, investigations, or other sources
- Evaluates analysis of data from an epidemiological investigation or study
- Evaluates conclusions and interpretations from investigation
- Determines evidence-based interventions and control measures in response to epidemiologic findings
- Develops and manages information systems to improve effectiveness of surveillance, investigation, and other epidemiologic practices
- Understanding and applying complex statistical analysis
Interpersonal Skills and Collaboration
- Prepares written and oral reports and presentations that communicate necessary information to staff, community partners, and general public
- Communicates clearly and effectively both orally and in writing
- Communicates sensitive issues effectively with diplomacy, persuasion, and accuracy
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative relationships with physicians, colleagues, community partners, and public health staff
- Interacting professionally with a variety of professionals and responding in a timely manner
for a complete description and minimum qualifications, including Physical Requirements and Environmental Working Conditions
for Epidemiologist. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Application Appraisal Panel (AAP) | Application Review (Refer/Non-Refer)
An Appraisal Panel (AAP) of job knowledge experts will thoroughly screen and evaluate the application, supplemental questionnaire, and resumes for job knowledge, competencies, and related experience described above. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedure listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.QUESTIONS:
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Iolani Kleen at (714) 834-7336 or IKleen@ochca.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous