»»Continuous Recruitment Process:This posting is to fill multiple vacancies and establish an eligibility list. ««
$15,000 HIRING BONUSfor Lateral Transfers
$7,500upon successful completion of Field Training
$7,500upon completion of 12-month probation period
TO QUALIFY AS A LATERAL TRANSFER OFFICER- Must possess at least two (2) years patrol experience as a full-time law enforcement officer (equivalent to a peace officer under CRS 16-2.5-101) andmust transfer directly from, or within one (1) year of leaving, that agency
Patrol experience includes:Responding to calls for service, community policing, conducting traffic enforcement including impaired driving enforcement, drafting search warrants and affidavits, making physical, custodial arrests upon probable cause, and conducting proactive law enforcement activity.
- Must have satisfactorily completed a formal or informal field training program
- Transfers from detention, corrections, parole, and/or probation assignments do not qualify as lateral transfer officers.
LATERAL HIRING SALARYLateral I [2 to 4 years experience]
$77,200 per year
$80,900 per yearafter 12-month probation period
Lateral II [4+ years experience]
$77,200 per year
$84,800 per yearafter 12-month probation period
LATERAL SELECTION PROCESS
Executive Oral Board Interview
Conditional Job Offer
[Expected length of selection process from application to hire is 3 to 6 months]
Patrol the City of Loveland to detect and/or deter illegal activities in order to preserve and protect the safety and security of persons and property.Must be able to act without direct supervision and to exercise independent judgment in meeting complex emergency situations.
1. Responsible for effective incident evaluation, including
· Responding to calls for service.
· Obtaining appropriate information at the scene.
· Accurately evaluating information.
· Determining priority of action at the scene and whether it is criminal or civil in matter.
· Collecting, identifying, and preserving evidence and personal property.
· Gathering information through interview and interrogation techniques, and making legal admonishments when appropriate.
2. Responsible to arrest, detain, search, and preserve safety, including
· Approaching and detaining subjects.
· Making arrests, forcibly if necessary, this may require bending, twisting, sufficient physical strength, grasping, kneeling, lifting, occasional awkward movements and physical exertion.
· Restraining and subduing suspects when necessary.
· Using reasonable and the appropriate amount of force when necessary
· Legally searching people and property.
· Applying appropriate safety precautions in hazardous and potentially dangerous situations.
· Exercise independent judgment in determining when and to what extent force may be used, and when there is reasonable suspicion to detain or probable cause to search and arrest.
3. Responsible to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, while providing appropriate public service and interaction, including
· Using appropriate oral and written communication to provide law enforcement information and explanations.
· Thoroughly prepares written reports and properly utilizes computers and other issued technical equipment, data resources to communicate effectively.This may require sitting, typing at a desk and in a vehicle, and viewing a computer screen for extended periods of time.
· Demonstrating effective communication utilizing a two-way radio requiring the ability to talk and hear.
· Demonstrates effective oral communication with the public and members of the department in English.
4. Responsible for patrolling, including
· Performing patrol activities in assigned area.This includes the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle for extended periods of time, during all hours of the day, in daylight and at night, in all types of weather, under routine and emergent conditions.
· Observing conditions and initiating appropriate action to potential hazards and suspicious or criminal activity. This requires specific vision abilities including: close vision, distance vision, low light vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to drive at night.
· Enforcing laws and ordinances, as well as monitoring and enforcing traffic codes.
5. Must be able to effectively use legal and department knowledge, including
· Demonstrating working knowledge of laws, codes, and legal procedures in all areas of law enforcement.
· Testify in civil and criminal court on behalf of the police department.
· Serving summonses and arrest warrants.
· Demonstrating working knowledge of department polices procedures and conduct.
· Keeping current on laws and relevant legal opinions.
· Participate in all required training.
· Adhering to an exemplary law enforcement code of conduct while on or off duty.
· Functioning effectively within the prescribed chain of command.
· Accountable for all duties of this job; other projects and responsibilities may be added at the City's discretion.
· Perform duties and tasks as assigned.
· Collateral assignments/specialized assignments as described in the Loveland Police Department policies and procedures.
Must be at least 21 years old at time of application.
ColoradoPeace Officer Standards and Training(POST) certificationfrom an approved academy [or provisional certificate by hire date] isrequired.
Minimum of 90 quarter hoursor60 semester credit hoursoran Associate's Degree,from an accredited college or university isrequired.
Must possess a valid driver's license.
Must be able to legally possess and carry a firearm. Must meet physical ability test standards set forth in Loveland Police Department Directives. Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language as determined by the LPD officer selection process.
Must be able to perform the following physical requirements:walking, standing, running, stooping, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, crawling, bending, climbing, feeling, talking, seeing (includes distinguishing color), hearing and conducting repetitive motions.Must possess necessary motor skills to operate a vehicle, mobile and portable radios, firearms, police baton, speed measuring equipment, mace, electronic control device, sobriety testing equipment, computer/typewriter keyboard, telephone, handcuffs, direct traffic and to arrest combative person.Ability to run to apprehend a fleeing subject or to run to safety when confronted with certain situations.Ability to use strength and quickness to rescue endangered persons. Ability to separate individuals fighting or preparing to fight.Ability to function for extended periods of time with little rest or sleep.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:Motor vehicle, handgun, shoulder arms, intermediateweapons such as mace, electronic control device, collapsible or straight baton, handcuffs, computer, police radio, telephone (mobile and traditional office systems), speed measuring equipment,Intoxilyzermachine and flashlight. This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Employment offers will be conditional on an extensivebackground investigation, criminal, driving record and credit check, polygraph examination, psychological examination,physical requirementsassessment and drug screening.
APPLICANTS WHO ARE UNSUCCESSFUL IN THE SELECTION PROCESS MAY APPLY FOR FUTURE OPENINGS.
The City of Loveland is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability or sexual orientation. We encourage, value and respect diversity.
500 E. Third Street, Loveland, Colorado80537United StatesView Map
Employer: CITY OF LOVELAND, COLORADO
This listing is managed by:
About City of Loveland
With over 300 days of sunshine, proximity to Rocky Mountain National Park, endless outdoor recreation options and a thriving arts, brewery, foodie and shopping scene Loveland is an award winning City. In 2020, Loveland was the only Colorado City to win the 2020 Governor’s Award for Downtown Excellence. Loveland is the top residential recycling City in the state for 4 consecutive years. Additionally, Loveland has consistently been ranked as one of the top places to live, work and raise a family in the U.S. Featured by USA Today in 2017 as one of the Most Idyllic Picturesque towns in America. As the rest of the world is figuring out what we have known for quite some time… Loveland, Colorado has EVERYTHING YOU LOVE! ~ Love What You Do, Land With Us!