Salary: $68,000.00 - $72,000.00 USD
Apply By: Mar 31, 2021
Working under the Director of Internal Audit, performs performance audits in accordance with professional governmental auditing standards and provides consulting services and assistance. The incumbent is expected to exercise sound judgment, independence, and professional expertise in conducting audit services. All work duties and activities must be performed in accordance with internal rules, regulations, policies and procedures as well as federal, state, and local regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Evaluates the diverse functions and activities of the City and City Utilities to determine the nature of operations and the adequacy of the system of internal control surrounding them;
- Exercises discretion to identify the key internal controls in the audit area, activity, function or process;
- Plans the theory and scope of assigned audits;
- Researches applicable policies, laws, regulations and standards, understands them and determines their applicability in assigned audit work;
- Designs risk based audit programs to assess operations and processes that exhibit more critical levels of risk to the organization; Gathers, analyzes, and interprets information and applies professional discretion to reach appropriate conclusions and rank the importance of the issues identified in audit work;
- Assesses the reliability and integrity of financial information; sufficiency in the safeguarding of assets and verifying the existence of assets; reviews operations and programs to ensure results are consistent with management’s objectives and goals;
- Utilizes appropriate sampling techniques and data analytics to efficiently address audit testing;
- Performs audit work in a professional manner and in accordance with the approved audit program and generally accepted auditing standards;
- Obtains, analyzes and appraises evidentiary data as a basis for an informed conclusion on the adequacy, effectiveness, and efficiency of the activities being reviewed;
- Identifies efficiency opportunities and other value added suggestions for management;
- Makes oral or written presentations to management throughout the audit process;
- Prepares formal, written reports expressing results regarding the adequacy and effectiveness of the internal control system and the efficiency with which activities are carried out;
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with auditees and communicates professionally and effectively with all levels of personnel;
- Tracks all items identified for future follow up testing and to keep the Audit Committee apprised of issues that have not been addressed;
- Appraises the adequacy of the corrective action taken to improve deficient conditions;
- Participates in an advising capacity with management and staff regarding controls for new systems, issues with existing systems and a variety of other items relative to policy, procedure, standard or other criteria;
- Provides support to external auditors during their annual financial audits of the Civil City and City Utilities;
- Collaborates with the Audit Committee on opportunities for fraud in processes, planning and design and the disposition of information obtained in the audit process;
- Interacts with the public, City incumbents, and outside agencies with patience, tact, respect, and professionalism;
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Completion of a B.S. degree in Business Administration with a major in Accounting, a four (4) year degree in other disciplines would be acceptable provided incumbent has completed twenty-one (21) hours of accounting courses including an auditing course;
- Minimum of 2 years experience in the auditing field preferred;
- CIA/CPA preferred.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and the ability to be proficient with auditing standards, procedures, techniques and statistical sampling methods involved in conducting financial and performance audits;
- Specialized knowledge and ability typically reflected by a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor is preferred;
- Ability to understand the specialized knowledge of City government, its structure and functions;
- Effective analytical skills.
- Ability to work with computer based accounting systems, and knowledge of MS Excel, Word, and Powerpoint.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.
Applications must be submitted on-line through the City of Fort Wayne's website @ www.cityoffortwayne.org in order to be considered for this position.
Fort Wayne, Indiana