Under general supervision, applies professional civil engineering knowledge and skills to a variety of engineering projects. Analyzes and interprets engineering construction and planning documents for compliance with City requirements and industry standards; includes the review of engineering plans and technical reports for Capital Improvement Projects and private development projects. This includes but is not limited to engineering plans, and entitlement documents. Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties ARE NOT
intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements: Education and Experience:
- Demonstrates superior customer service toward customers and maintains productive working relationships.
- Reviews a variety of plans, such as water, sewer, paving, landscape, street light, grading and drainage, site plans, preliminary plats and final plats as well as water, sewer, drainage and transportation reports; ensures compliance with requirements, governing uniform guidelines, and industry standard practice
- Participates in the review and processing of private development projects; review conceptual development plans for compliance with City requirements for approval, review final development plans to ensure final design is compliant with city standards and practices.
- Participates in the review and processing of Capital Improvement Projects for compliance with City requirements.
- Interprets, applies and enforces the provisions of the City's Engineering Design Standards and Policies and other applicable federal, state and local codes, laws, rules, regulations, specifications, standards and procedures.
- Conducts field/site visits as needed; inspects sites to identify potential construction/design difficulties due to unforeseen conditions.
- Responds to request for information or clarification regarding City policies, procedures or requirements. Provides technical support to the Development Services Center permit counter regarding engineering related topics and issues.
- Coordinates projects with staff, developers, consultants and outside agencies by attending meetings, clearly delivers the City's position to developers. Delivers complete, concise, and well thought out written and verbal technical communication in the form of letters, emails, and presentations. Utilizes an innovative approach to developing solutions considering the needs of all stakeholders.
- Provides technical information, assistance, and expertise to staff, City Council, other City departments, engineers, developers, and others.
- Provides assistance to construction inspectors in the interpretation of plans and resolutions of problems during construction as required.
- Maintain relevant technical data and correspondence for project.
- Ensures all outside agencies have approval and signed off on plans. Ensures all easements and necessary ROW is properly conveyed.
- Reviews engineering calculations and design performed by or under the supervision of a Professional Engineer.
- Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, activity reports/ design/construction contracts, technical memos, or other documents.
- Manages consultant contracts for plan/report review or special project needs as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
A Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field or six year's experience and/or training involving civil engineering design and/or plan review, , construction inspection or civil engineering projects or closely related field; OR any equivalent combination of education and experience.Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:Knowledge of:
- Current engineering design, and construction standards
- Engineering plan review procedures
- Federal, state and local requirements associates with civil engineering requirements.
- Municipal infrastructure master plans and implementation
- Urban development including aspects of subdivision and site development
- Civil and structural engineering principles relating to design and construction
- Project management procedures, objectives, principles and methods
- Extensive background and use of MAG standards
- Proficient in: MS Word, Excel, Project, Power Point, etc.
- Analyzing and interpreting applicable ordinances, rules, laws, codes, regulations, technical reports and manuals, construction plans and specifications, correspondence and legal documents
- Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Performing engineering calculations such as advanced level algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus
- Preparing complex, comprehensive, and accurate technical reports and correspondence
- Conflict resolution and problem solving.
Additional Information: Special Requirements and/or Certifications:
- Communicate effectively with City staff, developers, consultants and the general public
- Present ideas concisely and effectively, orally and in writing
- Work independently and as a team member, maintaining composure, and working effectively in a high-pressure environment with changing priorities
- Conduct research and analyze, evaluate, and develop innovative solutions to complex and significant engineering challenges.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationship with City leaders, outside agencies, developers, consultants and the public.
Valid Arizona Driver's License, or ability to obtain if applicant does not possess, is required. Future Engineer (FE)/Engineer-In-Training (EIT) License from the Arizona Board of Technical Registration is desirable. Work Schedule:
Monday - Thursday
7:00am - 6:00pm
Closing Date/Time: Continuous