Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at: http://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play Mohave County North Canyon Justice Court is currently recruiting for two (2) Justice Court Services Assistants located in Colorado City, Arizona. Hiring Range 8 / Step 1-4: $14.56-$16.85 (Depending on Experience)
Depending on qualifications, posting will be used to fill current and future vacancies.
Under general supervision, undertakes and performs a variety of tasks associated with work at the front counter, within the courtroom and/or court office in support of the operations of a Justice Court in Mohave County. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under the general supervision of a higher level of authority. The incumbent has the responsibility for the completion of assigned tasks accurately and in a timely manner. Work is reviewed through observation and evaluation of work performance and tasks completed by the incumbent. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
None. Essential Job Functions
The following EXAMPLES OF DUTIES are NOT
intended as a comprehensive list of job functions/duties performed by individuals assigned to this classification. The following provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbents may not be required to perform all duties listed and/or may be required to perform additional, position-specific, duties.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Accept new filings and/or documents related to existing cases. Review content; determines if documents require immediate attention of judicial officer.
- Collect fees and issues receipts.
- Set-up case in electronic and/or manual recording system.
- Create new or update existing file folders.
- Issues court process, updates, maintains and records a variety of statistical and/or financial files and records.
- Responds to inquiries at the counter, by mail and/or by phone, provides legal information without providing legal advice within the scope of designated authority. Determines if request/need is a priority; as required, contacts judicial officer; advises of situation; performs follow-up work as instructed.
- Balances cash drawer; reconciles receipts and disbursements; prepares daily deposit slip. As authorized, prepares checks, validates and balances monthly and other financial reports, files and records.
- Processes mail, provides to appropriate parties.
- Prepares and distributes a variety of court documents; sends out minute entries, forms, correspondence and other items.
- Pulls cases for court as required or assigned; reviews file; determines completeness of file folder; updates and prepares file for courtroom activities.
- Assists judicial officer in a variety of tasks as assigned.
- Performs data entry; updates electronic and/or manual recording systems; updates records of documents filed, action taken and related courtroom activities. Updates paper file with latest in-court files as required. Returns court file to storage area.
- As assigned, works within the courtroom; sets up court for operations; replenishes supplies, forms and related materials; checks operation of recording machine; loads fresh tapes. Calls cases, witnesses and/or performs other duties as assigned by the judicial officer; operates recording equipment; updates and maintains recording logs; assists witnesses, jurors and others as instructed by the judicial officer.
- Provides subsequent court dates; issues court process, notices and other court documents; updates electronic and/or manual recording systems.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- A high school diploma/GED
- AND one (1) year of relevant, progressively responsible secretarial, legal secretarial, clerical, customer service or closely related work.
- OR an equivalent combination of education, experience, and training may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES Knowledge of:
- May be required an affidavit and/or demonstrate proficiency to type 50 words per minute (wpm).
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Must complete annual training as required by the Committee on Judicial Education and Training (COJET).
- Applicable city, county, Arizona Supreme Court, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, administrative orders, case law and other relevant directives.
- Mohave County and specific court-related policies and procedures.
- Principles of bookkeeping and/or accounting.
- Principles of file and records management.
- Court processes, procedures and legal terminology.
- Trends and practices in office, court and business operations.
- Department policies, rules and procedures
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.
- Reading, understanding, interpreting and applying relevant city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, administrative orders, case law and other relevant directives.
- Assessing, evaluating, prioritizing and handling multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Working within deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
- Assessing, analyzing, identifying and recommending solutions to problems.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, other County employees, representatives of other governmental agencies, the bar association, victims, witnesses, litigants, jurors, news media, general public and others having business with the courts of Mohave County.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of commonly used and specialized software applications.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.