ATTENTION Merit System Employees: Do not apply through this site.If you are a current Merit System employee, please click HERE to log intothe internal career site.
for Salary Ranges
Senior Systems Analysts analyze, design, and implement information systems by reviewing user requirements, workflow, and procedures in order to automate or improve existing systems or programs. Senior Systems Analysts is a technical position performing high level activities. Incumbents in this job class perform more complex tasks than those performed by Systems Analysts. Incumbents may review and recommend commercially available software and create application programming interfaces (APIs) to perform modifications by writing scripts, editing code, or updating databases. Senior Systems Analysts are generally expected to manage Systems Analysts, programmers, and technical staff, typically acting as team leads or project managers for various IT and computer application initiatives by either coordinating with vendors or users. Senior Systems Analysts work in an office setting with minor physical tasks.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
- Analyzes and monitors system applications, programs, and/or databases by reviewing computer codes, scripts, or programming languages (e.g., ASP.Net, Java, C#, SQL, Python, etc.) in order to provide system documentation, identify programming/coding errors, and enhance system and application performance and usability.
- Serves as an administrator for various applications or programs by providing user support, installing system or application updates, and managing user access rights.
- Designs, develops, and modifies system applications, programs, and/or databases by editing, updating, and writing computer code or scripts using various programming languages (e.g., ASP.Net, Java, C# SQL, Python, etc.) after meeting with users in order to meet specific user, department, or jurisdiction application, system, or programming needs and requirements.
- Creates, updates, or modifies system documentation and user guides for applications by reviewing reference materials, testing system application and functionality, and assessing users' needs in order to provide users with reference materials.
- Determines IT needs, requirements, options, and solutions through interviews, observations, analysis, and research in order to ensure efficient workflow and processes using available resources.
- Assists programmers, analysts, or other personnel in reviewing work, answering technical questions, mentoring, and helping to resolve personnel or technical issues.
- Serves as project manager on various system or application designs, implementations, updates, and integrations by coordinating projects with vendors, users, and technical staff in order to implement software updates, resolve application and technical issues, and lay out project planning, execution, monitoring, and completion.
- Serves as project manager on various system or application designs, implementations, updates, and/or integrations by acting as a team leader of technical personnel (e.g., System Analysts, Programmers, etc.), in order to resolve technical issues and lay out project planning, execution, monitoring, and completion.
- Supervises staff by assigning and distributing work, directing staff in their job duties, monitoring progress of work, providing feedback and/or training.
- Conducts training to provide knowledge and understanding of work processes to ensure compliance with procedures and standards.
- Provides user support for installations of system and application updates and manages user access rights for user systems.
The following Minimum Qualifications are required for this job. You must demonstrate possession of these qualifications by providing a detailed description of your related experience in the work history section of your application. Please note that replicating or restating these minimum qualifications or the information from the Personnel Board's job description as your own work experience will result in your disqualification. Please describe your work experience in your own words to represent the work you have performed that is related to the minimum qualifications for this job.
- Experience in Project Management (e.g., SDLC - SCRUM, AGILE, Waterfall etc.) involving managing large projects on a major system or enterprise entity for multiple applications.
- Experience debugging and developing code within a .NET environment (e.g., VB, C#, C+).
- Experience using SQL, t-SQL, or similar relational database for data extraction and querying for reporting purposes.
- Experience developing reports and dashboards using SQL Server Report Service (SSRS) or Business Inteligence (BI).
- Experience using code source control platforms (e.g., Visual Studio, Aqua Studio, or similar programming tools).
- Project Management Professional Certification.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
- Adaptability & Flexibility.
- Learning & Memory.
- Mathematical & Statistical Skills.
- Oral Communication & Comprehension.
- Planning & Organizing.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making.
- Researching & Referencing.
- Self-Management & Initiative.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal.
- Technical & Job-Specific Knowledge.
- Technical Skills.
- Training & Facilitation.
- Written Communication & Comprehension.
- CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE:
- Knowledge of client server and network based applications protocols.
- Knowledge of computer languages in a distributed or client server environment.
- Knowledge of computer systems including design, construction, and operation.
- Knowledge of database construction, development and maintenance using software (e.g., MS SQL Server, MS Access, Oracle).
- Knowledge of formal procedures for project management and reporting tools.
- Knowledge of Object Oriented programming methods(e.g., Visual basic, .NET, Java, etc.).
- Knowledge of relational and/or hierarchical databases (e.g., MSSQL, Oracle, IMS, DMSII, etc.) and their operations.
- Work is conducted almost exclusively indoors in an office setting.
- Work involves use of standard office equipment, such as computer, phone, copier, etc.
- Job is primarily sedentary involving sitting for long periods of time, but may involve occasional walking or standing for brief periods.
- May involve occasional light lifting of items or objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of the job duties, responsibilities, or skills and abilities required to do the job and may be changed at the discretion of the Personnel Board at any time.
Persons requiring special conditions to accommodate a disability when completing the application should contact the Personnel Board at 205-279-3500 before the announcement closing date. Qualified applicants who believe they will need reasonable accommodation in the examination process should complete and submit an Accommodation Request Form. You may obtain an Accommodation Request Form by contacting our ADA Ombudsperson at ADAO@pbjcal.org, or by accessing the "Request for Accommodation" form through the following website: http://www.pbjcal.org/
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Personnel Board of Jefferson County (Personnel Board) provides a public personnel system based on merit principles. The Personnel Board strives for the constant improvement of the public service by employing and developing the best qualified persons available. The Personnel Board provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, political beliefs, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employment decisions are made by the Merit System municipality or governmental agency in which the position exists. Each Merit System municipality, agency, or jurisdiction administers its own equal employment opportunity programs in compliance with applicable state and/or federal laws and regulations.