Description General Description:
This is a skilled technical position. The incumbent performs routine and complex tasks to repair and maintain County vehicles and/or specialized automotive equipment.Organization:
The Automotive Technician is part of Hanover's Career Development Program (CD). The Automotive Technician Ladder has four (4) levels ranging from Automotive Technician I to Senior Automotive Technician. Incumbents report to the Fleet Manager and supervise no staff. Senior Automotive Technicians may serve as workflow leaders to lower level Technicians.Essential Functions:
- Services and repairs all types of automotive systems and components.
- Provide diagnoses of repair needs.
- Rebuilds mechanical, hydraulic, electrical and electronic systems.
- Performs VA State inspections.
- Drives vehicles and tests systems to ensure proper operation and effectiveness of repair or service work.
- Completes related paperwork, such as requisitions and documentation of service provided.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Chemicals - Exposure to petroleum products, cleaning solvents, dust and
Conditions - Work is performed using heavy equipment, including noise
Office - Primarily inside a shop, but may be exposed to adverse weather.
Field - Must drive to test vehicles, etc.
C. Physical Effort
Routine lifting of objects over 25 pounds.
Routine climbing onto and under vehicles and equipment.
D. Non-exempt Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Requires the ability to understand and to follow oral and written instructions. Must be able to read and understand complex technical manuals. Requires the ability to operate diagnostic and service equipment.Education, Experience and Training:
High school diploma or equivalent required with a minimum of two (2) years' related experience - OR - Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable. Must be a certified A/C Technician (EPA-approved Section 609). Higher levels on the Career Ladder require additional experience and training.Special Conditions:
- Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
- Twelve-month probationary period
- May be on-call nights, weekends and holidays
- Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- VA State Inspector's License
- Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test/Breath Alcohol Testing
- and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
- Must wear uniform, including safety equipment
- This position is subject to the department's on-call procedures
Current Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications preferred.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous