The Associate Director for Student-Athlete Success Services (SASS) works independently under the direction of the Senior Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management to develop and oversee robust student support for student-athletes to contribute to their academic success at SJSU in the department of Student Athlete Success Services. The Associate Director also collaborates closely with the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Academic and Student Services. The incumbent develops and implements student service and operational academic service programs to promote the academic and life skills success of student-athletes.
As the main point person for the coaching staff for 23 teams, the Associate Director for SASS directs, maintains, and assesses the effectiveness of the student-athlete academic and student support services. This includes researching alternatives for program improvements, directing the professional tasks related to student-athlete support implementation, maintaining records, preparing reports, assessing effectiveness through surveys and other mechanisms and making recommendations. The Associate Director for SASS manages all SASS team members, serves as the primary unit liaison to appropriate committees and work groups, and manages the SASS operating budget and both Student Success, Excellence & Technology funds and NCAA Academic Enhancement Funds. Working independently, under general supervision, the Interim Associate Director for SASS provides vision and develops, oversees, maintains, and assesses academic support and other retention services and programs for student-athletes in alignment with SJSU student success efforts and in accordance with university policies, NCAA, best practices and affiliated conference rules and regulations to ensure their progress towards degree.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Coordinates academic resources to achieve departmental initiatives and benchmarks (e.g. APR, Graduation Rates, Academic Eligibility, Student Retention, Course Completion and GPA goals).
- Directs staff to ensure timeliness and accuracy of the academic certification of student-athletes.
- Facilitates the overall planning, designing, implementation, and effectiveness of various student-athlete academic services.
- Develops training in areas of deficiency and/or provide professional development opportunities in these areas for staff.
- Directs staff and ensures training on and compliance with FERPA rules and regulations with the maintenance of student records and sensitive reports with protected information.
- Trains and updates staff with regards to General Education requirements, College Success Centers, and all academic advising resources.
- Oversees academic at-risk student-athlete support, academic plans, retention, eligibility, and graduation.
- Manages the submission of Academic Progress Rate (APR), Graduation Success Rate (GSR), and any other academic-related data submission.
- Complete and submit the NCAA Academic Enhancement Fund budget report.
- Supervises bi-annual grade reports distributed to head coach and Athletic Senior Staff.
- Develops academic achievement goals, tracks successes and improvement areas bi-annually, and creates improvement plans in identified areas needing focus.
- Collaborates closely with the SJSU academic advising community.
- Oversees the staffing and coverage of both the Gadway Academic Center (South Campus) and YUH Athletic Academic Success Center, which provides non-traditional work hours and weekends support to students.
- Oversees the hiring of all full-time staff, interns, graduate and undergraduate student-assistants, study hall monitors, tutors, and peer mentors.
- Manages the use of Spartan Connect/EAB for the tracking of study hall hours, tutoring reports, early-alert progress reports, class schedules, class locations, etc.
- Hires, trains, manages and evaluates one Assistant Director, four Academic Advisors, one Learning Specialist and one Administrative Assistant.
- Collaboratively reviews all Summer Bridge and summer school requests from coaches and student-athletes with the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Academic and Student Services. Manages the course selection/selections for Summer Bridge and secure courses with department chairs every spring semester in preparation for summer.
- Oversee the enrollment process for all incoming student-athletes (e.g. first-time freshmen, lower and upper division transfers, and graduate transfers).
- Serves as a member of the NextSteps Committee, Enrollment Management Leadership Team, Director's Council (within Athletics), and other relevant academic-related campus committees.
- Management knowledge and skills in the development, implementation, and evaluation of support programs.
- Knowledge and skills in working with students from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic and educational backgrounds.
- Knowledge of using technology in various aspects affecting student learning, achievement and retention.
- Ability to direct training programs for professional and student staff.
- Knowledge of various learning styles as well as cultural identities and differences.
- Skills in providing effective and resourceful problem-solving strategies.
- Ability to interact effectively with students, staff, faculty and other members of the community with excellent skills in written and oral communication.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, faculty, students and the general public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions as well as to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form with multiple concrete and abstract variables.
- Ability in providing counseling/advisement to students and interfacing effectively with students, faculty, and administrators in a higher education environment.
- Knowledge of college student development theory.
- Ability to understand the academic year and processing cycles that effect workflow of the department and various advising and success centers.
- Ability to determine proper techniques and actions to utilize while engaged with individuals behaving in argumentative or sensitive manner. Must be solution-oriented.
- Ability to oversee projects and provide guidance and direction for the work of others.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a group with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, styles and goals.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment under time-sensitive conditions while handling multiple work priorities, as well as organize and plan work projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to build, manage, and report a budget.
- Ability to work comfortably in a highly rules-regulated environment.
- Ability to write and secure grants and other external funding opportunities.
- Knowledge in partnering with community colleges or other external agencies.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Three years of work experience with some combination of these areas: assessment, co-curricular development, and racial justice
- Master's Degree
- 5 years of experience in a higher education or related setting and leading programs that build co-curricular programming
- Experience in developing, implementing, and leading Athletic programs, with demonstrable outcomes.
- Experience in developing assessment programs and/or providing training to others on the topic of assessment
- Published work or conference presentations on the topics of athletics, assessment and/or co-curricular development
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: March 16, 2021 through April 4, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled