Parks Laborer 2016 City of Waco, TX 1 of 3
Parks Laborer Field / Maintenance
5180 Physical Type # 2 Field Supervisor Parks and Recreation - Parks 208 Non-Exempt
Under close supervision, performs unskilled and semiskilled general labor work in cleaning and maintenance of City parks and grounds.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Performs unskilled and semiskilled manual labor tasks to maintain safe and attractive park system; maintains park facilities and grounds, enforces rules and regulations and follows all safety rules and regulations to minimize risk of accidents; duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Operates basic equipment and performs basic tasks, including weed control, mowing and watering; cleans up trash and debris and cleans facilities; prunes and trims trees and shrubs; loads and hauls materials.
• Maintains tools and equipment; reports unsafe acts, conditions, accidents and injuries; performs emergency cleaning and maintenance work as directed.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Performs other assigned or related duties as required.
• Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• Tools and equipment used in parks and grounds maintenance.
• Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures and safe work practices.
• Maintaining equipment and small tools in proper operating condition.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required. One year of experience in landscaping/grounds keeping work is preferred.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
Parks Laborer City of Waco, TX 2 of 3
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical activities of this position include: o Climbing - Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. o Balancing - Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. o Stooping - Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. o Kneeling - Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees. o Crouching - Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. o Crawling - Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet. o Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. o Standing - Particularly for sustained periods of time. o Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. o Pushing - Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. o Pulling - Using upper extremities to exert force in order to drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion. o Lifting - Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles. o Finger Dexterity - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. o Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. o Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. o Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. o Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound. o Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• The physical requirements of this position o Heavy work. Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• The following personal protective equipment may be required and must be worn when required by the task being performed o Hardhats, gloves, eye protection, ear protection, respiratory protection, reflective vests and proper footwear.
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision. o The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity viewing a computer terminal; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes.
Parks Laborer City of Waco, TX 3 of 3
o The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: operates machines where the seeing job is at or within arm's reach; performs mechanical or skilled trades, tasks of a non-repetitive nature. o The worker is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position o The work is performed primarily within outside environmental conditions; with some travel from area to area. o The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside with temperatures that may be below 32° or above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity. o The worker is subject to exposure to hazardous traffic conditions o The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level. o The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals and pesticides. o The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system: fumes, odors, dust, mists, or gases.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at-will' relationship. Job Description Acknowledgement I verify that I have received a copy of my job description by the signature below. As an employee of the City of Waco, I understand the duties and responsibilities assigned to me. Furthermore, I understand that the duties listed above are guidelines and will change over time, as necessary. From time to time, I understand that I may be asked to perform duties and handle responsibilities that are not specifically addressed in my job description.