Zoo Maintenance Worker City of Waco, TX 1 of 3
Zoo Maintenance Worker Field / Maintenance 5565 Physical Type # 1 Safety Sensitive Grounds Maintenance Supervisor Cameron Park Zoo 209 Non-Exempt
Under basic supervision, performs grounds maintenance functions for the City Zoo.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Performs a variety of grounds maintenance tasks at City Zoo; maintains and repairs landscaped areas, trims trees and bushes, removes litter and debris; cleans up spills and unsafe conditions; sets up and tears down equipment and facilities for special events; duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Repairs and maintains irrigation systems; applies herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers and other chemicals.
• Maintains the appearance and safety of Cameron Park Zoo grounds and facilities by performing a variety of service and/or maintenance work including, but not limited to: HVAC, cement work, welding, plumbing, carpentry, pump and filtration systems, and painting.
• Maintains the appearance and safety of public areas by: leveling and adding cushion material and painting and performing minor repairs to tables, seats, bleachers, signs, playground equipment and educational graphics
• Maintains the safe and efficient operation of equipment by: sharpening blades; performing basic maintenance such as oiling parts, replacing filters, replenishing gasoline and oil, and repairing or replacing worn or damaged parts.
• Prepares rooms, buildings, and grounds for special events by: setting up chairs, tables, fences, stages, lighting, sets, and sound equipment.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information.
• Performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Driving is essential
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• Materials, tools and equipment used in grounds and landscape maintenance and repair.
• Proper use and storage of hazardous chemicals used in the workplace.
• Federal and state safety rules and regulations and safety precautions in public facilities.
• Operating and maintaining tools and equipment in a safe and effective manner.
• Following and maintaining safety standards.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing
Zoo Maintenance Worker City of Waco, TX 2 of 3
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical activities of this position include: o Climbing - Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. o Balancing - Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. o Stooping - Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. o Kneeling - Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees. o Crouching - Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. o Crawling - Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet. o Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. o Standing - Particularly for sustained periods of time. o Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. o Pushing - Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. o Pulling - Using upper extremities to exert force in order to drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion. o Lifting - Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles. o Finger Dexterity - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. o Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. o Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. o Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. o Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound. o Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• The physical requirements of this position o Heavy work. Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• The following personal protective equipment may be required and must be worn when required by the task being performed o Hardhats, gloves, eye protection, ear protection, reflective vests and proper footwear.
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision.
Zoo Maintenance Worker City of Waco, TX 3 of 3
o The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity viewing a computer terminal; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes. o The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: operates machines where the seeing job is at or within arm's reach; performs mechanical or skilled trades, tasks of a non-repetitive nature. o The worker is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position o The work is performed primarily within outside environmental conditions. No effective protection from the weather. o The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside with temperatures that may be below 32° or above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity. o The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level. o The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals. o The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation. o The worker is frequently in close quarters, small enclosed rooms, small sewage and line pipes and other areas that could cause claustrophobia. o The worker is required to function in narrow aisles or passageways.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at-will' relationship. Job Description Acknowledgement I verify that I have received a copy of my job description by the signature below. As an employee of the City of Waco, I understand the duties and responsibilities assigned to me. Furthermore, I understand that the duties listed above are guidelines and will change over time, as necessary. From time to time, I understand that I may be asked to perform duties and handle responsibilities that are not specifically addressed in my job description.