This is a Non-Permanent position.
The City is seeking dependable and dedicated field laborers to assist in the performance of general maintenance in support of the Streets, Facilities and Beach maintenance, Parks, Trees and Landscape operations, as well as Water Utilities operations. The position works under the direct supervision of a full-time, permanent City employee working as part of a crew.
Based on years of experience in related field, department has the discretion to determine hiring level at I, II, III, IV or V (Part-Time Level 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10).
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 to June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory and requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
Depending on the assignment area, typical duties may include: operating stationary and portable small tools; operating hand and power driven tools; setting up and/or cleaning up for various operations or projects; assisting full-time staff in removing obstacles, debris and litter; loading and unloading trucks; lifting and carrying items weighing up 100 lbs; following directions carefully; working diligently within safety parameters; performs other related duties as assigned.
In addition to, when assigned to Water:
- Performs pick and shovel work on a variety of surfaces that may include, but not limited to; asphalt, concrete, unpaved streets, sidewalks and parkways.
- Loads and unloads supplies and materials that may include, but not limited to ; stone, gravel, dirt, asphalt, timber, pipe, debris, construction materials, tools and equipment.
- Dig trenches and backfills ditches and trenches; lifts, moves and carries heavy objects weighing up to 100 pounds. May operate small power equipment and drive small trucks.
- Duties may also include; assist in laying pipe; assist in installing water services, sewer main/laterals and cleaning sewer laterals. Performs other related duties as assigned.
(The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.)
Qualifications Ability to:
Read and listen to and follow instructions; learn construction zone traffic control and site safety procedures applicable to related maintenance repair work; use hand tools; carry out work assignments as instructed; communicate effectively orally; establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work; work flexible hours which may include evenings, weekends and holidays; and perform physical labor in an unrestricted fashion.Possession of:
a valid CA Driver License and provide evidence of and maintain an acceptable driving record during the course of employment.
Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program due to the performance of field duties that may require operation of a City vehicle. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application
- An official City of Huntington Beach on-line job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to a department interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a drug screen, TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions
Sit to operate motorized vehicle; stand to perform tasks or operate tools and equipment; walk to carry or operate tools and equipment; reach below and above shoulder level, turn, twist, lean, bend, stoop, crouch and squat to perform physical tasks, climb short distances; climb ladders; carry, push, pull and drag weight up to 100 pounds a distance of approximately 35 feet from a staging point to a work area (fertilizer bags 80 pounds, concrete bags 90 pounds, and asphalt bags 100 pounds), lift to waist height and dump heavy trash bags from stationary cans; light and firm grasping, including finger dexterity to hold and operate hand tools; foot manipulation to drive vehicle using accelerator pedal or brake pedal; and, speak to answer basic questions from the public or ask questions of the supervisor. Work is primarily performed outdoors with exposure to direct sunlight, rain, humidity, dust, and noisy equipment. Odors from fertilizers, trash, and asphalt are part of the environment. Must possess unrestricted physical ability to perform tasks and duties outlined above. SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.