FILING DATES: November 24, 2020 @ 8:00 A.M. (PST)
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. EXAM NUMBER:
Y5458CTYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. Through its integrated system of 27 health centers and four hospitals - and expanded network of community partner clinics - DHS annually provides direct care for 600,000 unique patients, employs over 23,000 staff, and has an annual budget of over $6.2 billion. For additional information regarding DHS please visit www.dhs.lacounty.gov
Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition, to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing.MISSION:
To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care.DEFINITION:
Incumbents in these positions are licensed physicians that direct the programs and activities of a large medical organization. COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
To apply, click on the link below: https://apps.dhs.lacounty.gov/SpecialRecruitment/Questionnaire?examNo=Y5458CRequired Documents:Curriculum VitaeStatement of Career GoalsLegible copy of Certification by an American Specialty BoardLegible copy of California State Physician and Surgeon's Certificate authorized by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California Before submission
of your information, it is necessary to ensure that all information is complete and includes all required documents as directed on the job posting in order for your information to be reviewed and processed in a timely manner.
The Statement of Career Goals is a narrative that serves as an effective way of assessing current career achievements and the means one should take for accomplishing such career objectives.
Essential Job Functions
- Formulates or assists in the formulation of overall policies, and in the planning and direction of programs and activities of a medical organization.
- Has responsibility for or assists in the administrative aspects of the organization's activities, such as budget preparation and control, personnel functions, procurement of equipment and supplies, and coordinating the work with that of medical or other organizational units.
- Assigns, trains, and evaluates medical and related personnel.
- Directs or assists in directing the training of interns, resident physicians and medical and technical students in the work of the organization.
- Directs the establishment, improvement, or revision of the medical work or procedure of the organization in order to improve the level of care and service or the utilization of personnel.
- Plans, directs and supervises medical research and the presentation and review of findings.
- Reviews the care prescribed by staff physicians, resident physicians, interns, and reviews other work performed for the organization.
- Confers with consultants regarding care of patients and medical and diagnostic work performed, and coordinates the work of consulting physicians with the work of the organization.
- Confers with other County institutions, public and private agencies, and medical schools.
- Assures the Quality Improvement Program is effective in identifying, resolving, and documenting patient care problems.
- Responsible for compliance with Joint Commission standards, State, Federal, HMO, local requirements, and provides training on Joint Commission standards to the entire facility.
- Implements and supports Clinic Redesign in all clinical areas.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Certification by an American Specialty Board in one or more designated specialties,* or equivalent certification** -AND- Two years of medical administrative*** experience. LICENSE:
California State Physician and Surgeon's Certificate authorized by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. PHYSICAL CLASS II:
Light: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Certification may be designated in one or more of the following specialties:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Practice
- Internal Medicine-General
- Internal Medicine-Endocrinology
- Internal Medicine-Cardiology (Invasive)
- Internal Medicine-Cardiology (Non-Invasive)
- Internal Medicine-Critical Care
- Internal Medicine-Gastro (Invasive)
- Internal Medicine-Gastro (Non-Invasive)
- Internal Medicine-Hematology/Oncology
- Internal Medicine-Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine-Nephrology
- Internal Medicine-Public Health & General Prev Medicine
- Internal Medicine-Pulmonary (Invasive)
- Internal Medicine-Pulmonary (Non-Invasive)
- Internal Medicine-Rheumatology
- Nuclear Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology-General
- Obstetrics and Gynecology-Gynecologic Oncology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology-Maternal/Fetal Medicine
- Pediatrics-Neonatal/Critical Care
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Preventive Medicine
- Radiology-Vasc//Int Diagnostic
- Surgery-Cardio Thoracic
Equivalent certification is defined as that certification which the appropriate American Certifying Board formally recognizes in writing as being equivalent.
***Medical administrative in the County of Los Angeles is defined as: planning, organizing, developing, staffing and controlling of a health facility, clinic, ward, or program. The Statement of Career Goal is a narrative that serves as an effective way of assessing current career achievements and the means one should take for accomplishing such career objectives. The career statement is a short and crisp essay that clearly presents the career vision of a professional for making an effective career plan.
include a legible photocopy of their specialty certification approved by the American Specialty Board and Physician and Surgeon's Certificate issued by the state in which they currently practice and/or reside to the application at the time of filing on line.The required license and/or certificates must be current and unrestricted ; conditional, provisional, probationary license and/or certificates will not be accepted. WITHHOLD INFORMATION:
Applicants who do not possess a California State Physician and Surgeon's Certificate at the time of filing may compete in this examination; however, the names of such candidates will be withheld from the certification for employment until the required certificate is presented.
Applicants must have a valid and unrestricted license to practice as a physician and surgeon as issued by the state in which they currently practice and/or reside. At the time of appointment, the successful candidate must have a California State Physician and Surgeon's Certification authorized by the Board of Medical Examiners of the State of California.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of a self-assessment based on Supplemental Questionnaire weighted 100%, covering experience, professional development, collaboration, leadership and management skills.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.Only the most qualified candidates will be selected and placed on the Eligible Register.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade on the examination will be added to the Eligible Register without indication of relative standing in the examination. Successful candidates will remain on the register for a period of 12 months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every 12 months.VACANCY INFORMATION:
The resulting eligible register from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services.SPECIAL INFORMATION:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using the website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
from the Class Specification and Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add SBermudez@dhs.lacounty.gov
to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail. NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you may e-mail the documents to the exam analyst within 15 calendar days of filing online
. Please include the exam number and the exam title.
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order to not have to be disclosed. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security number. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Shirley Bermudez, Exam Analyst
(323) 914-9089SBermudez@dhs.lacounty.govADA COORDINATOR PHONE: (323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE: (800) 735-2922