FIRST DAY OF FILING: Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 8:30 a.m Pacific Time (PT)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.EXAMINATION NUMBER:
PH4902BTYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job OpportunityNo out-of-class experience will be accepted.DEFINITION:
Plans, organizes, implements and maintains the effective operation of a quality control program for hospital based or public health laboratories.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class are located in a hospital and work under the general direction of a laboratory director or in a Public Health Laboratory under the general supervision of the Public Health Laboratories Director in Public Health Programs and Services. Incumbents are responsible for establishing and maintaining a quality control program which is designed to monitor and evaluate the ongoing and overall quality of the total testing processes of the laboratory to ensure the continued conformance to all legal and accrediting agency required standards.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, organizes, and administers an independently functioning quality control program for all laboratory units of hospital based or public health laboratories.
- Compiles and maintains a reference library of professional journals, articles and other texts on the subject of medical laboratory quality control and a current listing of all quality control standards to which legal and accrediting agencies require conformance.
- Confers with laboratory unit heads to determine the extent of current compliance with legal and accrediting agency standards of quality control and, where appropriate, to establish a program to ensure compliance by a specified future date.
- Initiates action to obtain from legal or accrediting agency representatives the clarification, interpretation, or explanation of published quality control standards which may not be clearly understood.
- Administers a proficiency testing program for the laboratories, integrating existing programs conducted by outside agencies and those devised in-house; analyzes accumulated results for any indication of consistent error, and ensures proper corrective action is initiated.
- Inspects or supervises the inspection of laboratory instruments and other apparatus to certify proper calibration, reliability of analytical weights and balances, centrifuge speeds, and similar properties; plans programs with line management to ensure prevention of recurrent problems.
- Conducts special studies of varying duration and complexity which stem from complaints about the quality of laboratory service or which render quality laboratory service ineffective and develops appropriate recommendations to implement corrective measures.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:OPTION I:
Two years of experience as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist I* in an approved laboratory**. OPTION II:
Two years of experience at the level of a Los Angeles County's Public Health Microbiologist I*** in an approved public health laboratory****.LICENSE:
Clinical Laboratory Scientist's***** license issued by the California Department of Public Health -OR- Public Health Microbiologist's***** Certificate issued by the California Department of Public Health. PHYSICAL CLASS:2 - Light.
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*To qualify, applicants must have County status in the specified class, as evidenced by holding or having held such payroll title in the service of Los Angeles County for the required amount of time in order to qualify.
**An approved laboratory is defined as a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) certified laboratory.***
In the County of Los Angeles, the class of Public Health Microbiologist I
is defined as someone who performs a variety of standardized public health laboratory tests within a specialized area (such as bacteriology, virology, serology, or parasitology) or across specialty lines.
****An approved Public Health Laboratory is defined as a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) certified laboratory.
*****In order to qualify, you must include a legible copy of the Clinical Laboratory Scientist's license OR Public Health Microbiologist's Certificate from the accredited institution which shows the title of the required license, number, date of issue, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency with your application online at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov
If you are unable to attach the required documents with your application online, you must e-mail them to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission. In the "Subject" of the e-mail please type the Exam Number and Exam Title.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION:
- Additional points will be awarded for experience beyond the Minimum Requirements.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination consists of an evaluation of education, experience, and desirable qualifications based upon application information and supplemental questionnaire at the time of filing weighted 100%.Applicants must meet the Minimum Requirements and must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added on the Eligible Register.
Passing this examination and being added on the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be added to the
Eligible Register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS
Complete applications will be processed on an as received basis and promulgated to the Eligible Register accordingly. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur. AVAILABLE SHIFT
Any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed ONLINE ONLY
. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, fax, or in person will NOT
be accepted. Any required documents and/or additional information, if any, must be received with your application at the time of filing online or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply"
button located at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Applicants must submit their completed applications by 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet
. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely and correctly to receive full credit for any relevant education, training, and job experience you include. In the space provided for education, include the names and addresses of schools attended, dates attended, degree received, and degree major. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work and duties performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be REJECTED. IMPORTANT NOTES:
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
- Please note that ALL information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination and selection process.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification(s) and/or Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. In doing so your application will be dispositioned as INCOMPLETE and will not be accepted.
- Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered a valid response; therefore, using such statements will also result in your application being rejected as INCOMPLETE.
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. Department Contact Name:
Exam AnalystDepartment Contact Phone:
(323) 914-8488Department Contact E-mail:
HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 914-8488Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099Alternate Teletype Phone
: (800) 897-0077