PH5104A FIRST DAY OF FILING:
12/10/2020Beginning Thursday, December 10, 2020, at 12:30 p.m., Pacific Time (PT)
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity DEFINITION:
Performs vocational nursing duties in a healthcare facility. CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class provide specified direct care to assigned adult or pediatric inpatients in a medical, surgical, obstetrical, psychiatric, admitting or rehabilitation ward, or intensive care, or other specialized impatient care unit. LVN I's apply such techniques of vocational nursing as giving treatments including those which involve the administration of medications and the use of specialized equipment, and either provide bedside care or assign such tasks to nursing attendants and LVN I's and ensure that these tasks are carried out. Incumbents in these positions apply definitive criteria contained in nursing policies and procedures when making medication, treatment and nursing care decisions, and are continually in a position to interpret manifest indications of patient's condition and report such indications when they fall outside preestablished limits. LVN I's normally work under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician and administer care or procedures for the patient ordered by the physician or contained in a nursing care plan; but they are expected to contribute to the development of the nursing care plan with information and recommendations.
Essential Job Functions
- Administers medications by injection, orally, and other pre-determined methods with the exception of research drugs as determined by the Medical Department.
- Checks prescribed dosages against specified limits.
- Observes and reports adverse reaction to medication.
- Recognizes the need for emergency care; initiates life saving action in emergencies and alerts the nurse-in-charge or physician.
- Sets up, operates and monitors electronic and/or mechanical equipment such as croupettes, oxygen therapy and suctioning equipment.
- Monitors the functioning of intravenous apparatus and cardioscopes.
- Provides bedside care such as maintaining personal hygiene, providing comfort and safety, performing urgent housekeeping tasks to maintain a clean and safe environment and taking measures to prevent pressure sores and other infirmities endemic to bedridden patients.
- Measures and records vital signs; records bed care procedures, treatments, indications and nourishment provided and output.
- Observes and reports on progress of patients.
- Obtains and provides information on patients at change of shift briefings with nursing personnel and in contacts with doctors.
- Reports on significant incidents involving nursing personnel, patients and others.
- Gives eye and ear irrigations and instillations.
- Cleans, debrides, medicates and applies dressings to wounds, using sterile technique.
- Observes patients for manifest signs of anxiety stress or indications of change in emotional state or behavior, makes chart notations and informs a registered nurse of problem conditions.
- Provides emotional support to the patient, displaying empathy and interest in the patient's progress, being aware of and encouraging patient's special aptitudes for the patient's rehabilitation.
- Interacts in prescribed fashion with psychiatric patients on a one-to-one basis on the ward or while participating in activities off the ward by encouraging socialization and motivating and reassuring patients in a psychiatric setting.
- Follows the orders of the therapist in structuring discussions to elicit appropriate patient responses and participates in group therapy sessions led by a professional staff member by interacting with patients in ways designed to develop trust and clarification of problems.
- Teaches isolation technique to patients and visitors.
- Prevents spread of infection by using correct sterile technique.
- Lays out appropriate instruments and supplies and assists the physician in performing medical and surgical procedures.
- In some specialized jobs performs one of the following assignments:
- Monitors the operation of specialized equipment set up by a physician or nurse-in-charge such as renal dialysis machines, regulating venous and dialysate pressure from verbal instructions, monitoring gauges and alerting the nurse-in-charge when readings and observations of the patient indicate an abnormal condition.
- May perform specialized procedures such as peritoneal dialysis, adding prescribed medication in the dialysate solution, introducing and draining the solution in accordance with precise procedures.
- In a labor and delivery unit, prepares the expectant mother for delivery by shaving and disinfecting the abdominal area.
- Monitors vital signs and contractions, contacting the physician when these come within a specified range.
- Sets up and strips down the delivery room before and after delivery, wiping all equipment and mopping the floor with disinfectant.
- Serves as circulating nurse during normal deliveries, observing for breaks in aseptic technique and assisting the physician outside the sterile field.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
A license to practice as a Vocational Nurse issued by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.* LICENSE: *A license to practice as a Vocational Nurse issued by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.
To qualify, applicants must have a current and valid license as a Vocational Nurse, issued by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians, without limitations or restrictions. PHYSICAL CLASS :
3 - Moderate: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
- A current certification in accordance with American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.**
- Experience as a Vocational Nurse providing direct patient care in a hospital, or a healthcare facility
- Experience using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Access, or Microsoft PowerPoint
*Please ensure the License and Certificate Section of the application is completed for the Vocational Nursing License. Provide the title of your required license and certifications, number, date of issue, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency as specified in the requirements on your application at the time of filing or e-mail the information to email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing.
**Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their current/unexpired BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or e-mail the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing. Successful candidates will be required to obtain certification in accordance with American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program within 90 days of employment.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of an Evaluation of Training and Experience based upon application, desirable qualifications and supplemental questionnaire weighted 100%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added onto the list of eligible candidates.
Passing this examination and being added to the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION: NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS
Applications will be Processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the list of eligible candidates accordingly. SPECIAL INFORMATION: FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Any, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed ONLINE ONLY
. Applications submitted by mail, fax, or in person will NOT
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply"
button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Any required documents and/or additional information, if any, must be received with your application at the time of filing online or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov. Applicants must submit their completed applications by 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS .
Fill out the application and Supplemental Questionnaire accurately and completely to receive full credit for any relevant education and/or job experience you include. In the space provided on the application for education, include names and addresses of schools attended, dates attended, degree(s) received, and degree major. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, start and end dates, the number of hours worked per week, and detailed description of work and duties performed. If the application and/or Supplemental Questionnaire is/are incomplete, the application will be REJECTED
If you are unable to attach the required documents with your application online, you must
email them to email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days from the date of the application submission. In the "Subject" of the e-mail please type the Exam Number and Exam Title. Failure to provide complete, accurate information will impact the assessment of your qualifications and the acceptance of your application into the examination process. IMPORTANT NOTES:
Please note that ALL
information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION
at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination and selection process.FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
from Class Specification, Selection Requirements, and/or Special Requirements information serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so it will result in the application being rejected as INCOMPLETE and will not be accepted. NO SHARING OF USER ID, E-MAIL AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes in the format XXX-XXXXXX. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735-2922
ADA Coordinator Phone: (323) 914-8488
Teletype Phone: (800) 899-4099
Alternate Teletype Phone: (800) 897-0077
Department Contact Name: Exam Analyst
Department Contact Phone: (323) 914-8488
Department Contact E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org