DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
EXAM NUMBER: Y5172T
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY
ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: 3/14/2013 REBULLETIN INFORMATION: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION REGARDING NOTIFICATION OF EXAM RESULTS. PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY APPLIED NEED NOT REAPPLY, BUT MAY CONTACT THE EXAM ANALYST IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.THIS EXAMINATION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE ARE MET AND IS SUBJECT TO CLOSE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE. DEFINITION:
Performs preoperative anesthesia management of patient undergoing surgical or therapeutic procedures, airway management or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, under the administration of a physician or dentist.
Essential Job Functions Preanesthetic Preparation and Evaluation of the Patient
- Obtaining an appropriate health history.
- Conducting an appropriate physical screening assessment.
- Recommending or requesting pertinent diagnostic studies and evaluating the results.
- Selecting, obtaining, ordering, and administering preanesthetic medications.
- Documenting the preanesthetic evaluation and obtaining a comprehensive informed consent for anesthesia and related services.
- Obtaining, preparing, and using all equipment, monitors, supplies and drugs used for the administration of anesthesia and sedation techniques; performing and ordering safety checks as needed.
- Selecting, obtaining or administering the anesthetics, adjuvant drugs, accessory drugs, fluids and blood products necessary to manage the anesthetic.
- Performing all aspects of airway management, including fiberoptic intubation.
- Performing and managing regional anesthetic techniques including, but not limited to, subarachnoid, epidural and caudal blocks; plexus, major and peripheral nerve blocks; intravenous regional anesthesia; transtracheal, topical and local infiltration blocks; intracapsular, intercostal and ocular blocks.
- Providing appropriate invasive and noninvasive monitoring modalities using current standards and techniques.
- Recognizing abnormal patient response during anesthesia; selecting and implementing corrective action and requesting consultation whenever necessary.
- Evaluating patient response during emergence from anesthesia and instituting pharmacological or supportive treatment to insure patient stability during transfer.
Clinical Support Functions
- Providing postanesthesia follow-up and evaluation of the patient's response to the anesthesia and surgical experience; taking appropriate corrective actions and requesting consultation when indicated.
- Initiating, ordering, and administering respiratory support to ensure adequate ventilation and oxygenation in the postanesthesia period.
- Initiating, ordering, and administering pharmacological or fluid support of the cardiovascular system during the postanesthesia period to prevent morbidity and mortality.
- Initiating, ordering, and administering acute postanesthesia pain management techniques.
- Discharging patients from a postanesthesia care unit (PACU) according to facility policy.
- Inserting peripheral and central intravenous catheters.
- Inserting pulmonary artery catheters.
- Inserting arterial catheters and performing arterial puncture to obtain arterial blood samples.
- Managing emergency situations, including initiating or participating in cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Providing consultation and implementation of respiratory and ventilatory care.
- Management of interventional pain therapy using drugs, regional anesthetic techniques, or other accepted pain-relief modalities.
- Selecting, obtaining, ordering and/or administering medications or treatments related to the care of the patient, using consultation when appropriate.
- Accepting additional responsibilities which are within the expertise of the individual CRNA and appropriate to the practice setting.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
To qualify, candidates must meet all of the following requirements:
1) State licensure by the California Board of Registered Nursing as a Registered Nurse.
2) State certification by the California Board of Registered Nursing as a Nurse Anesthetist.
3) Graduation from a program of nurse anesthesia education accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists.*
4) Certification or Recertification by the National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists (NBCRNA).Please see Special Requirement Information for additional information regarding the requirements.LICENSE:
A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.PHYSICAL CLASS: Physical Class II - Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)
Applicants claiming experience as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist in a state other than California must include their certification number on the application for verification at the time of filing. Experience claimed without a valid certification number will not be considered.
Additional Information SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
Applicants who will successfully complete the selection requirements within twelve (12) months of filing their application may compete in this examination. However, their names will be placed on withhold status pending completion and submission of the education, licensure and certification requirements. In the event candidates fail to provide proof of meeting the selection requirements within twelve (12) months, they will be removed from the withhold list. NURSE ANESTHETIST PROGRAM INFORMATION
submit proof of graduation from a program of nurse anesthesia education accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetist -or-
submit a copy of their recommendation letter from the Nurse Anesthetist Program Director confirming good standing and anticipated successful completion date, at the time of filing or by emailing the Exam Analyst, firstname.lastname@example.org within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title. The recommendation letter must be on a legible letterhead from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization. LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION INFORMATION
Please ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title of your required license and certifications, number, date of issue, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency as specified in the Selection Requirements. The required license and certificate must be current and unrestricted; a provisional, conditional or restricted license and certificate will not be accepted.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.EXAMINATION CONTENT:
An evaluation of training and education as documented on the application weighted at 100%. Application information will be evaluated as it relates to the Selection Requirements and Desirable Qualifications.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on this examination in order to be placed on the Eligible Register.Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add Lpascual@dhs.lacounty.gov and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.VACANCY INFORMATION:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the Eligible Register accordingly.
The names of candidates will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking the "APPLY" button for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of you application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST on the last day of filing will not be accepted. NOTE:
If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you must email the Exam Analyst within 15 calendar days of filing online
. Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LANGUAGE
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Luz Pascual, Exam Analyst
(323) 914-9087Lpascual@dhs.lacounty.govADA COORDINATOR:
(323) 914-5227CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE: