POSITION SUMMARY We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the required minimum qualifications.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is seeking an Industrial Electrician. The individual will be an independent thinker and be goal-driven to take on today's greatest challenges and rewards in the field of local public service. An Individual that is passionate about making a difference and achieving our mission: We Build Community, in a fast-paced organization that operates by vision, strategy, and action. Would you fit in? Click here to apply .
This is skilled, journeyman level work in the installation, maintenance and repair of industrial electrical systems and equipment.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Converts industrial control centers from outdated technology to an up to date SCADA (Supervisory, Control, And Data Acquisition) system
- Installs and repairs electrical systems and devices in and around city buildings
- Installs and repairs Industrial Motor Controls and smart electrical control systems.
- Tests electrical systems and equipment; detects causes of electrical failures and malfunctions; replaces and/or repairs components
- Ensures compliance of electrical systems and equipment with applicable codes
- Reviews electrical projects for upgrades; reads and prepares electrical diagrams
- Prepares reports documenting issues identified during reviews of projects (drawings, specifications, etc.)
- Interfaces with consultants and contractors during construction projects, assessments and testing activities
- Maintains inventory and orders materials or services
- Prepares specifications for the purchasing of specialized electrical components and parts
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) to prepare documents and procedures and research components and parts
- May act as technical lead of lower class employees during specific work assignments
- Maintains records of work performed
- Assists in preparing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's)
- Uses and knowledgeable of digital tools and asset management systems
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations and standard operating procedures
- Works around high voltage, rotating equipment and various hazardous chemicals
Performs related work as requiredSpecial Requirements: Essential Employees
may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work. Non-Essential Employees
will not be required to work during a declared emergency but may be required to work in some capacity after the declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine when the employee will be required to work. PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position involves heavy physical demands, such as exerting up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects. This position will be exposed to medium voltage (4,160 volts, 480 volts, etc.), will work around chemicals (chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, etc.), exposed to hydrogen sulfide as well as noisy areas and rotating equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalency supplemented by a vocational / technical certification in electric work
- Must possess at least three (3) years of experience at the journeyman level.
- Journeyman Electrician Certificate issued by the Broward County Central Examining Board.
Additional qualifying experience or completion of coursework at an accredited college or university in a job-related field, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for one year of the required experience or education.PLEASE SUBMIT A COPY OF JOURNEYMAN'S ELECTRICIAN CERTIFICATE WITH THE APPLICATION. HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training & Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form J-204 .