The Project Manager is responsible for all efforts associated with successfully managing multiple University construction projects. This includes all aspects of project management during the planning, design, construction, and closeout phases of the project life cycle. This position is required to collaboratively interface with a variety of stakeholders including senior administrators, staff, faculty, agencies having jurisdiction including those at the Federal, State, and local level, and various professional consultants, contractors, and vendors.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Manages all aspects of assigned projects through the full course of the project life cycle including planning, design, construction, and closeout phases. Independently leads and direct projects requiring functional integration and involving multiple disciplines to be managed. This includes those associated with major maintenance and repair, minor capital renewal/improvements, deferred maintenance, and infrastructure improvements.
- Ensures all assigned projects are managed in alignment with the University's Capital Outlay Management Plan as well as any corresponding CSU or State of California regulation governing University projects. Coordinates as necessary throughout all project phases with the Campus Deputy Building Official, Construction Administrator, and others.
- Leads and directs project teams (project architects, engineers, contractors, inspectors, etc.) during all phases.
- Responsible for managing the project budget working collaboratively with the Business & Administrative Support Services team. To include maintaining accurate expense tracking and cost projections. Proactively brings forward issues or challenges and proposed solutions designed to successfully contain and mitigate risk.
- Manages professional service agreements and monitors the work effort of architectural, engineering, testing and inspection, and other professionals contracted by the campus to ensure all services are provided in a timely manner. Tracks and monitors progress and reviews invoices with recommendations for approval or otherwise.
- Coordinates all required inspections, testing, and other activities by working collaboratively with construction inspectors and consulting engineers ensuring all code and regulatory requirements are adhered to. Reports all failed inspections or tests to the Campus Deputy Building Official, contractor and design professional requesting instructions as to further procedure.
- Manages construction contracts. Tracks and monitors work in place and reviews pay applications with recommendations for approval or otherwise. Evaluates and makes recommendations concerning proposed contract changes. Ensures ongoing compliance with contractual requirements.
- Develops and maintains a change order log for all contracts. Reviews contingency status and makes recommendations regarding proposed changes including full in-depth analysis of all change requests as well as the development of multiple options for consideration. Works collaboratively with others to process contract modification documents.
- Responsible for all phases of project construction and directs/monitors compliance with appropriate codes and regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of project management practices including that required to plan, lead and oversee complex construction projects. To include in-depth knowledge of public works construction processes, and skill to manage all phases of planning, design and construction
- Advanced knowledge of applicable state and federal codes and regulations pertaining to the construction industry including understanding of the California Building Code, the American with Disabilities Act and the Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety for the State of California as such pertains to public works construction projects. Ability to apply such knowledge successfully for assigned projects.
- Knowledge of project scheduling including task/resource loading, and critical path sequencing methods required to run an efficient project. Ability to analyze and review of schedules to guide adjustment as needed to manage schedule and risk.
- Knowledge of common project delivery methods including design-bid-build, design-build, and job order contracting.
- Ability to create independent estimates and ability to analyze and review those submitted by others.
- Analytical skills to ensure adherence to requirements and assure a high level of quality control.
- Ability to read and understand proposals, plans, blueprints, process drawings, contracts, purchase orders, and specifications for all phases of construction.
- Skilled in using personal computer software and electronic communications including digital graphic software for presentations, CAD drafting systems, geographical information systems (GIS), computer-based design and architectural applications, and complex project scheduling and analytical applications.
- Bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering, construction management, business or a related field OR which may be obtained through equivalent experience such as might be attained through four years of project management
- Four years of demonstrated project management experience in a lead role for all phases of construction projects
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.Preferred Qualifications
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification as granted by the Project Management Institute
- Certifications for code-related inspections as issued by the International Code Council
- Five to seven years of demonstrated project management experience in a lead role for all phases of construction projects
- Two years of experience/training in one or more of the following areas: construction project management, cost estimating, scheduling and schedule analysis, inspection.
- Demonstrated experience managing construction projects for a State facility, College or University, or other multi-facility commercial complex
- Experience working in a University setting
Classification: Administrator I
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: April 8, 2021 through April 22, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled