The Position This is a limited continuous filing exam. The filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:4/8/21, 5/20/21, 7/1/21 (final cut-off)
Receives telephone reports of emergency and non-emergency incidents from Sacramento County residents, contracting cities, and local, state and federal jurisdictions. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- Modern office equipment
- Proper English usage, grammar, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary
- Modern dispatch equipment
- Report writing techniques
- Major streets, highways, and districts in Sacramento County
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Speak English clearly and concisely
- Remain calm and courteous while dealing with the public under stressful circumstances
- Deal with highly stressful situations
- Take accurate notes and prepare concise reports using information from callers
- Operate modern office equipment
- Read maps to identify major geographical points and streets in Sacramento County
- Operate communications equipment used by the Sheriff's Department
- Analyze situations accurately and take effective action
- Follow written and oral directions
- Learn relevant laws, rules, and regulations
One year of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience receiving a high-volume of calls, and dealing with the public under stressful situations.Note:
Part-time work and volunteer experience in the above pattern may be substituted on the basis of 173.6 hours = 21.7 days = one work month.
Certificate: Possession of a valid typing certificate of 40 net words per minute from clear copy. Copy of certificate must be submitted to be eligible for appointment.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications indicate a typing certificate is required, applicants must submit proof. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Typing Certificate requirements can be found by clicking here or by obtaining the requirements from the Employment Services Division office.Special Requirements
1. Background/Criminal History: Candidates will need to pass a security clearance investigation conducted by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department.
2. Prior to appointment, applicant must successfully pass a medical examination and psychological screening.
3. Must be able to visually distinguish between red, green, and orange colors.
4. Normal hearing in both ears, and good eye/hand coordination and finger dexterity
5. Hours of Work: Applicants must be willing to work shift assignments, holidays, and weekends as required.
Some positions in this class may require the ability to speak, read and/or write fluently, and to understand a language other than English.
When required, these special skills may be used in performing such tasks as the following:
1. Receives information by telephone or in person concerning incidents, crimes, or requests for law enforcement related services from persons whose speaking and understanding of English is limited.
2. Provides information concerning incidents and law enforcement related services to persons whose speaking and understanding of English is limited.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply. County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response. Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 7/1/2021 5:00 PM Pacific