DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: 09/01/2009
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.EXAM NUMBER: Y5859ITYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job OpportunityTHIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION.DEFINITION:
Provides first-level supervision to occupational therapists, therapy assistants and other support staff who are treating acute or rehabilitative patients with a physical or mental disease or an injury; incumbents may also provide administrative supervision to staff in the physical and occupational therapy services in a California Children's Services Medical Therapy Unit.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, manages, and coordinates unit therapy programs with physicians, allied health personnel, teachers, families, and agencies.
- Plans, assigns, and reviews the work of assigned staff, such as: assigns caseloads based on available staff and individual therapy needs of patients; reviews the quality and adequacy of therapy services provided by the therapy staff and implements corrective measures when necessary; evaluates employee performance and prepares performance evaluations; serves as a resource person to the therapy staff regarding unusual or difficult therapy problems by consulting with, demonstrating, or performing evaluation and treatment procedures.
- Performs and supervises others' performance of complex treatment modalities, interventions, and techniques requiring special precautionary measures such as post-operative activities, manual stretching, positioning extremities with splints and braces designed to prevent or correct deformities, and special facilitation techniques to increase muscle strength and develop control and coordination.
- Develops and modifies therapy treatment programs based upon review of patient records, results of therapy treatments, introduction of new medical and surgical procedures and review of professional literature.
- Plans and conducts meetings with the therapy staff for the purpose of sharing and eliciting technical and administrative information, sharing in the resolution of problems and interpreting policies and procedures.
- Supervises clinical training of students in the areas of patient assessment, evaluation, and treatment, and provides for staff development through in-service training, rotating assignments and making arrangements for attendance at special conferences, seminars, or college education courses.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
Graduation from an occupational therapy curriculum accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) -AND
- Three years of experience in the practice of occupational therapy. A Master's degree from an accredited college/university in occupational therapy, public health, special education or a related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience.LICENSE:
Current license issued by the California Board of Occupational Therapy as an Occupational Therapist.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.PHYSICAL CLASS III - Moderate:
Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.Special Requirement Information:
*In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as a Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, completion of a certificate program, certificate or license under the minimum requirements, you must include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization; or official license or certificates with your application within 15 calendar days of filing online.The required license MUST be current and unrestricted ; conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license will NOT be accepted.
Additional Information Examination Content:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of education and experience based upon application information weighted 100%.Candidates must receive a passing score of 70% or higher on this examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.
Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add Ahsu3@dhs.lacounty.gov and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.Eligibility Information:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score on the examination will be added to the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.Special Information:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.Vacancy Information:
The resulting eligible register from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur.Available Shift:
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
from the Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you met the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you must email the documents to the exam analyst, at time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing online . Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security number (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE:
(323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Annie Hsu, Exam Analyst