Recruitment Number VA1397
Posting Period Open Until Filled (Review of Applications will begin 04/28/21. Applications received after that date may be considered.)
On Campus Only No
Working Title LAB LEAD (Clinical Laboratory Scientist II)
Class Title CLINICAL LABORATORY SCIENTIST II
Salary Range (From $ to $) $4,704 - $9,079 per month / $56,448 - $108,948 annually (New employees should anticipate being hired at the beginning of the salary range)
Department WellCat Health Center
Number of Positions 1
FLSA Code Non-Exempt
Status Temporary (Renewable)
Pay Plan 12/12
CBU/MOU R02 - CSUEU Health Care Support
Quick Link https://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/6409
Hours Per Day 8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the summer
Days Per Week 5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Under the direction of the Laboratory Director (a physician), and as a licensed professional, incumbent is responsible for performing a wide variety of moderate to highly complex clinical laboratory tests and examinations which provide the medical staff with essential data and information for prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of illness, diseases, and other conditions found within the University setting; and participates in laboratory quality control and assurance. Incumbent is also responsible and is accountable for the technical administration of the WellCat Health Center (WCHC) clinical laboratory. Will serve as technical consultant and supervisor by overseeing daily technical operations as outlined below. In addition, the person holding this position provides lead work direction to Clinical Laboratory Scientists (CLS) I, Phlebotomists, and other laboratory staff.
The WCHC is an outpatient primary care clinic, staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants who provide medical care to students enrolled in the University in accordance with policies set by the Board of Trustees of California State University. An in-house licensed pharmacy, federally certified laboratory, and x-ray department complement the services available. The basic clinic schedule is 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, with no evening or weekend duty and the summer work week is 7:00 a.m. - 5:30 pm Monday through Thursday, with no evening or weekend duty.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1397-Position-Description
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Incumbent must possess:
• Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of:
• The theories, principles and practices of clinical laboratory science, including the use and care of applicable equipment and systems.
• Thorough knowledge of:
• Clinical laboratory quality control procedures, protocols, and standards.
• Various laboratory disciplines, tests, and procedures including chemical, physical, microscopic, bacteriological, serological, hematological, immunological, molecular, and other related disciplines and laboratory tests.
• Automated information systems used in clinical laboratory settings.
• Federal and state regulations pertaining to clinical laboratories.
• Chemical and biohazardous substances.
• Working knowledge of the preparation of specimens and proper storage of specimens.
• General knowledge of mycology, virology, and genetics.
Incumbent must have the skills to:
• Perform a variety of complex and advanced laboratory analyses and evaluate information against measurable criteria.
• Communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
Incumbent must have the ability to:
• Serve as a technical consultant within the laboratory regarding methodologies, protocols, and established laboratory procedures.
• Identify and locate sources of information about various new tests and uses of new equipment.
• Demonstrate competency in the performance of complex and advanced laboratory analyses.
• Adapt and introduce new and modified tests into the laboratory.
• Evaluate test results and data against measurable criteria.
• Extrapolate data to develop new test criteria and standards.
• Identify incongruities in test procedures and inconsistencies in reports of test results for patients.
• Develop procedures, quality control checks and instructions necessary for new or modified tests.
• Plan, schedule and carry out laboratory activities to meet administrative guidelines and medical needs.
• Perform quality assurance studies and compile statistical information required to meet state and federal licensing standards, requirements, and accreditation programs.
• Keep records and prepare various administrative and laboratory analysis reports.
• Provide lead work direction to professional and support laboratory staff.
• Notice pertinent details of specimens under microscopic study.
• Perform applicable mathematical calculations rapidly and accurately.
• Keep current in developments in the field of laboratory science.
• Troubleshoot minor instrumentation problems.
• Operate standard office equipment and computer software (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook).
• Identify incongruities in test procedures and inconsistencies in reports of test results for patients.
• Demonstrate skill in the performance of a variety of laboratory analyses and evaluate information against measurable criteria.
• Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience
Education and Experience:
Incumbents must possess the requisite education for licensing, which is a Bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science or equivalent from an accredited institution; or, equivalent post-secondary education, training and experience as defined by CHPH Laboratory Field Services (LFS) or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. In addition, incumbents must possess two years of progressively responsible administrative and technical work within a clinical laboratory.
Incumbents must possess and maintain a valid California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following which may be considered specialized skills:
• Two or more years of experience in the following: Hematology, Immunology, Molecular.
• Experience with Orchard Harvest Laboratory Information System.
• California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position based on CSU guidelines. Incumbent is responsible for the safety and security of Level 1 data, sometimes also referred to as Level 1 protected data. This is confidential information that is in most cases protected by statutes, regulations, or other legal mandates.
• The person holding this position is considered a "General Mandated Reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment.
• The duties of this position will include participation in a decision that may have a material/financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, this is a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code and the incumbent will be required to file a Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest and is subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. (Group/Category: Procurement Card Holder, 2) Note this designation is applicable only if Procurement Card is issued.
• Adhere and comply to Family Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines and regulations.
• Throughout employment in this position employee must possess and maintain a valid California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license.
• The selected candidate must pass a post-offer pre-employment physical examination.
• Throughout employment CPR Certification is required, training will be provided.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. Personal protective clothing is required while working i.e. laboratory coats, closed toed shoes, safety glasses, latex gloves. Incumbent will be required to sit or work at a microscope and/or computer terminal for long periods of time, and will frequently move or stand at a counter, as well as moving in small spaces within the laboratory. Must be able to identify and distinguish colors. Occasional overnight travel is required. Incumbent will be exposed to a heat source that is used when sterilizing while plating cultures. There is also noise exposure from centrifuge and other equipment.
Incumbent will work with biohazardous material and chemicals after appropriate training. Moderate noise levels exist at various times in the laboratory. Work with bio-safety cabinet/fume hood as required. Tools used in the clinical laboratory setting including pipettes syringes, tubes, cell counters, centrifuges, heat blocks and incubators, Hologic Panther system, and rotators, etc.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
California State University (CSU), Chico is a comprehensive and residential public University, holding Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) designation and operating as part of the 23-campus CSU system. The University enrolls over 17,000 students from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, with over half identifying as first-generation college students. Graduate and undergraduate programs boast high-quality research experiences, exceptional faculty mentoring, and civic and global engagement opportunities. The campus motto, "Today Decides Tomorrow," is brought to life by inclusive pedagogy, experiential learning, and co-curricular programming. The Chico Experience prepares students to be critical thinkers, engaged citizens, and inspired stewards of environmental, social, and economic resources. Together, they will become leaders solving the challenges of the 21st century.
The campus is located in Northern California, 90 minutes from the state capital, Sacramento, and a three-hour drive from San Francisco Bay Area. A safe residential community, Chico offers year-round natural beauty, outdoor leisure activities, and a thriving arts, music, and events scene. We acknowledge and are mindful that CSU, Chico stands on lands that were originally occupied by the first people of this area, the Mechoopda, and we recognize their distinctive spiritual relationship with this land and the waters that run through campus.
CSU, Chico is committed to recruiting outstanding candidates who reflect the diverse, intercultural, and intersectional identities of our student body. The ideal candidate will embrace our values predicated on the primacy of student success and the elimination of achievement gaps, have demonstrated experience working with diverse populations, and will contribute to policies, programs, and activities that support an inclusive, accessible, and equitable learning and working environment.
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 04/14/2021
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled Yes
2. Cover Letter
1. Optional Applicant Documents
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled