San Mateo County Health is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of Edison Clinic Social Worker III--Spanish Speaking Preferred-Limited Term
to, under general supervision, perform approximately 30 to 40 hours per week of a wide variety of therapeutic services; if therapy caseload is not full and time permits 10 hours of social work case management services. This Social Worker III will perform screening and assessment, evaluation; psychotherapy, with focus when appropriate on harm reduction therapeutic interventions, and support services for clients in need of, or receiving substance abuse therapy and treatment; develop and implement activities related to substance abuse prevention, intervention and rehabilitation; social work activities with non-therapy clients to support other on-staff social work case managers; and perform other related work.
The current vacancy is a limited term position in the Public Health, Policy and Planning Division. This position will be embedded at the Edison Clinic, San Mateo Medical Center (San Mateo) and possibly one morning per week at the Fair Oaks Health Center (Redwood City); clinic hours are Monday through Friday; incumbent will travel/drive throughout the County to perform duties of the job. Therapy/Social Work Services
This position will engage individuals with a range of mental health and substance use disorders to provide a range of services and supports, including but not limited to, diagnosis of issues to be focus of clinical attention, including substance use and other behavioral health needs; screening/assessing clients' needs using assessment criteria to determine medical necessity and identification of key clinical interventions; determination of stage of change; and engaging clients by using Motivational Interviewing and Harm Reduction practices.
This position will provide therapy for primary caseload, and as a back-up also provide case management services, including transportation, client advocacy, client-driven treatment planning, and care coordination with other care providers; navigation of medical and mental health services, including medication assisted treatments; assisting clients with enrolling into benefits, including health coverage for which they are eligible; participate in a multidisciplinary team; use clinical consultation care coordination meetings; and partner with key referral sources and other service providers including but not limited to, San Mateo Medical Center (SMMC) Emergency Department (ED), Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES), and Primary Care and Specialty Clinics, Behavioral Health & Recovery Services (BHRS) clinics and programs, Substance Use Disorder treatment providers, including Palm Avenue Detox, shelters, Probation, and Correctional Health. Ideal candidate
will have significant knowledge, skills, experience, and training in providing therapy as well as case management; assessment and evaluation of adult clients with mental health and substance use issues; determining appropriate referrals and recommending treatment plans; documenting in electronic medical record; establishing appropriate clinical relationships; and demonstrated skill and understanding with the issues of confidentiality and ethics.
Additionally, experience working with adults with co-occurring behavioral health and medical issues, emergency services, criminal justice system, or adult clients respective to the position; the ability to work independently; and excellent collaboration skills to work with multiple partner agencies. The ability to speak, read and write fluently in English and Spanish is strongly preferred. This is a limited term, at-will position.
Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan. Information for current county employees:
Current and regular San Mateo County Employees who are interested in this assignment must submit application materials and compete in the selection process. If you are successful in the selection process and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable.
Qualifications Licensure/Certification :
California class C driver license or equivalent. Education :
Satisfactory completion of 36 semester units of Social Welfare and/or appropriate behavioral science courses. Experience :
Three years experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County. Substitution :
Possession of a Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited school of Social Work AND
two years experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County. Knowledge of :
Skill/Ability to :
- Theories of human behavior and their practical applications.
- Psycho-social, medical, and economic interrelationships that result in individual and social abnormalities.
- Philosophy and function of social work systems.
- Appropriate utilization of a variety of social resources.
- Laws, rules and regulations governing the operation of social work agencies, specifically those relating to the specific areas of assignment.
- Formulating, developing and implementing treatment plans.
- Working effectively with persons differing in value systems, ethnicity, cultural backgrounds and psychopathologies.
- Working with a variety of social resources to plan and coordinate services to individual clients.
- Acting as a consultant and trainer to other social service staff.
- Preparing clear and concise reports.
If you are interested in being considered for this limited term position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with responses to Supplemental Questions (maximum of 2 pages)
- Possession of a California class C driver license or equivalent is required. Indicate how you meet this requirement.
- Do you have a Bachelor's or Master's in Social Work? If you do not, list your coursework indicating how you meet the requirement of satisfactory completion of 36 " semester " units of Social Welfare and/or appropriate behavioral science courses.
- Indicate how you meet the requirement of three years of experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County or the substitution: possession of a Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited school of Social Work AND two years of experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County.
- Describe in detail your experience providing therapeutic services. Be specific.
- Describe in detail your experience conducting case management services. Be specific.
- Are you fluent in both Spanish and English? (Bilingual skills are preferred, but not required.)
Please include the words "Edison Clinic Social Worker III-Spanish Speaking Preferred-Limited Term Position
" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format. Please submit the above listed materials via email to: Anita Booker, Clinics Manager at email@example.com
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process. NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered. The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.