Description: Position Summary
The Facilities Services Executive Director is a university leader working under the general direction of the Associate Vice President of Business Operations. The position oversees operations of the Facilities Services Department, a 24-hour and 365-days per year operation. This dynamic role provides operational leadership and oversight of facilities maintenance (preventive and deferred), minor renovation and remodel support, energy management and power plant operations, custodial services, grounds and landscape maintenance, and garage and fleet services. The Facilities Services Executive Director leads the management of a large and complex budget with a variety of funding sources and cost centers. The Facilities Services Executive Director engages in effective communication with a variety of stakeholders, leads employee mentoring and development, and ensures safe work practices. The position also plays a key role in university emergency preparedness. As a university leader, the Facilities Services Executive Director will provide insight and assistance in support of various administrative and management functions. This is a highly visible and impactful leadership role that supports San Diego State University's historic, beautiful, and growing campus, and the community that it serves. The Facilities Services Department
The Facilities Services Department consists of a leadership team of 18 and a total team of nearly 250 staff members. Subunits within the depa
rtment include Facilities Services Administration, Operations, Custodial Services, Project Services, Landscape & Fleet Services, Housing Facilities Services, Work Control, Architectural Trades, and the Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Trades.
For more information regarding Facilities Services, click here
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, at-will position. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard work hours are Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. but may vary based on operational needs. Candidate Qualifications
San Diego State University is seeking a dynamic, results-driven leader with extensive facilities services management experience in a collective bargaining environment. The ideal candidate is engaged in business operations and possesses strong analytical and communication skills to work collaboratively and effectively across the campus community. They actively provide effective leadership, guidance, and support to managers and staff in a variety of trades and professional disciplines. They are approachable and they listen to others, are adaptable to different communication styles, and are creative, persuasive, and solution-oriented. They possess strong ethical standards and are committed to building on San Diego State University's excellence.
We are seeking an experienced facilities leader that will possess:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university or a certified foreign studies equivalency
- Progressively responsible relevant management experience, with seven or more years of direct experience in facilities management
- Understanding of requirements for operating high voltage electrical system, cogeneration power plants, central chiller plants, and steam/boiler plants
- Significant experience managing human resources in a collective bargaining; environment, including regular work with union representatives, dispute resolution, and grievance management
- Experience effectively managing a large, complex budget
- Experience with a majority of the functions under the position's leadership and oversight
- Demonstrate success in process improvement
- Demonstrated experience managing work control, work planning, inventory management, billing and chargeback systems, and data reporting and analytics
- Familiarity with implementing sustainability initiatives including LEED O&M, Waste Diversion, water conservation, renewable energy and energy efficiency projects
- Demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups
- Facilities management experience with a wide range of facility types, sizes and ages, including energy and utility infrastructure systems
- Management experience in a higher education environment
- Experience in costing Facilities services in a recharge environment
- Registration as a professional engineer in civil, mechanical, or electrical engineering
- LEED AP or LEED Green Associate
- APPA Certified Educational Facilities Professional (CEFP) or similar credential
Compensation and Benefits
San Diego State University will offer a competitive salary based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. San Diego State University also offers a rich benefits package
San Diego State University
- Extensive Leave benefits: 14 paid holidays, 24 vacation days, and 12 sick days per year;
- Retirement security through a CalPERS defined benefit pension (with CalPERS and UC Retirement Plan reciprocity) and retiree healthcare benefits;
- An array of health, dental, and vision coverage at no-cost or low-cost to the employee; and
- California State University system fee reduction program (fee waiver) for the employee or their qualified dependent.
Now in its 124 th year, San Diego State University is a place of knowledge, experience, and impact and takes pride in more than a century of achievement in education, research, and service. It is one of the oldest institutions in California, with 400,000+ living alumni and many more friends in the community who have a stake in its future. SDSU is expanding its global impact, unifying the university through a common mission and identity. Under a single name, the multi-campus university includes the San Diego campus, SDSU Imperial Valley, SDSU Global Campus, a future SDSU Mission Valley location, regional microsites, and other programs around the globe and online. The university provides students with the opportunity to participate in an academic curriculum distinguished by direct interaction with faculty and an international emphasis that prepares culturally competent global citizens, compassionate leaders, and ethical innovators who will transform the world.
SDSU strives for equity and inclusion in everything it does, building on the human and intellectual diversity of students, faculty, and staff as a source of innovation and strength. SDSU is ranked 35 nationwide for ethnic diversity, and roughly 54% of the university's undergraduates and graduates are students from historically marginalized populations. SDSU is the No. 1 LGBTQ+-friendly campus in California, and No. 8 nationally, according to Campus Pride and BestColleges. Further, the university is consistently ranked as a top school for veterans and serves more than 4,000 military-connected students . Most critically, the values of equity, diversity and inclusion translate to results: Continuation and degree completion rates have increased over the last decade, and equity gaps have begun to close effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds. The City of San Diego
The second largest city in California, San Diego is a thriving cultural, scientific, and educational center. Bordering the Pacific Rim and Mexico, San Diego is recognized globally as a dynamic international hub.
San Diego's geographic location and diverse regional population create plenty of opportunities for working and learning. Known for its near-perfect climate, miles of sandy beaches, and fun-filled waterfront activities, our region is home to a wide range of industries, from manufacturing, electronics, and bio-technology to agriculture, research, and tourism. From the hustle and bustle of the Gaslamp Quarter downtown to the charming and eclectic beach towns of Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, and La Jolla, San Diego offers a wide variety of social and cultural activities. With all the amenities for living, working, and playing, it's no wonder San Diego is nicknamed "America's Finest City!" Learn more at www.sandiego.org
. Supplemental Information
Review of the required application materials, including cover letters and resumes, will begin on May 11, 2021. To receive consideration, apply by May 10, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
For more information, please contact:
Casie Martinez, Assistant Human Resources Director
All management and executive employees shall be required to provide a written statement to the appropriate administrator of any and all outside employment. Employees shall also provide a written statement of outside employment if a written request by an administrator is made
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click here
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Casie Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled