The Public Authority for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) is seeking well-qualified individuals for the position of Public Authority Registry Social Worker II/III with fluency in English and Spanish
. There is one vacancy in the Public Authority (this is not a County position
). The current vacancy would be responsible for supporting IHSS consumers, who do not have caregiver resources, in hiring a homecare provider from the Public Authority Registry and helping the client and provider establish a successful working relationship. The position is located in San Mateo, CA, but will require travel throughout the County to perform duties of the positions. PUBLIC AUTHORITY
The Public Authority (PA) was established by the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors in 1993 for the purpose of administering the provider components of the County of San Mateo's In Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program. The IHSS Program provides homecare services to Medi-Cal eligible individuals who are aged, blind or disabled to assist them to remain safely in their homes as an alternative to out-of-home care.
The Public Authority serves as the employer of record for IHSS homecare workers, with the IHSS consumer retaining the right to hire, fire and train their worker. The Public Authority's responsibilities include operating a Registry that recruits, screens and refers potential homecare providers to IHSS consumers needing personal assistance in their home; screening the backgrounds of IHSS providers in accordance with IHSS policies and regulations; providing training opportunities to IHSS providers to enhance their skills in serving IHSS consumers; and offering support and assistance to Registry consumers and providers to ensure the employer-employee relationship between the Registry consumer and provider are functioning well. The IHSS consumer is the IHSS employer and is responsible for hiring and supervising a provider for the care they receive. Consumers who do not have caregiver resources, may choose to hire a caregiver from the Public Authority Registry. The Public Authority Social Worker will assist those recipients with the hiring of a Public Authority Registry worker and help them to manage their role as the employer.
The Public Authority is advised by the Public Authority Advisory Committee, which is an advisory board appointed by the Board of Supervisors, with a majority of the membership being designated for current or past consumers of personal care assistance.NOTE
: The Public Authority Registry Social Worker II/III is not a County position
but works directly with San Mateo County In-Home Supportive Services program and is located within San Mateo County Aging and Adult Services.
The Public Authority Social Worker II/III will manage activities associated with IHSS recipients who are utilizing the Public Authority Registry.Examples of duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct home visits to assess consumers' needs with respect to hiring a caregiver to provide IHSS tasks and services.
- Educate, support, and perform administrative duties for IHSS consumers and care providers to understand/comply with program regulations.
- Provide conflict mediation between consumers and providers to help stabilize cases.
- Collaborate with program integrity team to ensure proper adherence to regulations.
- Provide education, outreach, and community resources information for consumers.
- Attend case conferences.
- Collaborate and facilitate services with other partner agencies.
- Effective caseload management
The ideal candidate
will possess the following:
- Ability to independently develop and implement sound case plans of action.
- Familiarity in implementing program regulations.
- Experience in conflict management.
- Experience working with challenging behaviors associated with mental health diagnosis.
- Fluency in Spanish is required.
California class C driver license or equivalent.Education:
Social Worker II:
Satisfactory completion of 30 semester units of social welfare and/or appropriate behavioral science courses.Social Worker III:
Satisfactory completion of 36 semester units of social welfare and/or appropriate behavioral science courses.Experience:
Social Worker II:
Two years experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker I or higher in San Mateo County. Substitution
: Possession of a Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited school of Social Work.Social Worker III:
Three years experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County. Substitution:
Possession of a Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited school of Social Work and two years experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County. Knowledge of:
- Principles of individual, group, and community behavior.
- Scope and nature of current problems in the field of social work.
- Social work methods and procedures.
- Social service programs, and State and Federal legislation.
- Techniques and principles of interviewing and counseling and problem solving methodology.
- Social and community resources and awareness of how to identify, develop, and properly utilize these resources.
- Theories of human behavior and their practical applications.
- Psycho-social, medical, and economic interrelationships that result in individual and social abnormalities.
- Philosophy and function of social work systems.
- Appropriate utilization of a variety of social resources.
- Laws, rules and regulations governing the operation of social work agencies, specifically those relating to the specific areas of assignment.
- Understand and implement the agency's programs, policies and procedures.
- Implement caseload management techniques.
- Establish rapport with clients and their families in working toward solutions to their problems.
- Analyze problems and needs of clients and develop courses of action which lead toward constructive solutions.
- Speak and write effectively.
- Establish effective working relationships with other employees.
- Formulate, develop and implement treatment plans.
- Work effectively with persons differing in value systems, ethnicity, cultural backgrounds and psychopathologies.
- Work with a variety of social resources to plan and coordinate services to individual clients.
- Act as a consultant and trainer to other social service staff.
- Prepare clear and concise reports.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, the following materials must be electronically submitted in a Word or PDF format.
- Responses to Supplemental Questions
- This position requires possession of a valid California class C driver license or equivalent. Provide the following: 1) driver license number and 2) expiration date .
- The position requires the ability to speak, read and write fluently in Spanish and English. Are you fluent in Spanish?
- Social Worker II requires completion of 30 semester units of social welfare and/or appropriate behavioral science courses. Social Worker III requires satisfactory completion of 36 semester units of social welfare and/or appropriate behavioral science courses. List the following for the education that qualifies you for the position: 1) the course ID for classes completed; 2) course title; and 3) the units received for each. NOTE: SUBMISSIONS THAT DON'T CLEARLY INDICATE THE REQUIRED EDUCATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Social Worker II requires two years of case management experience comparable to a Social Worker I in San Mateo County OR an MSW degree. Social Worker III requires three years of case management experience comparable to a Social Worker II OR an MSW degree and two years of experience performing duties comparable to Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County. List the following for the experience that qualifies you for the position: 1) your exact title; 2) job duties; 3) length of experience in months; and 4) employer. Detailed information should be found in your resume. NOTE: SUBMISSIONS THAT DON'T CLEARLY INDICATE THE REQUIRED EXPERIENCE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- How would you mediate differences or disagreements between two parties? Describe a situation in which you utilized your skills to resolve the differences between two or more individuals. Be specific.
- What experience prepares you to work in a highly regulated program? Be specific.
- What experience and/or coursework do you have that would prepare you to work with individuals with behavioral health issues? Please provide an example of a difficult case you have worked on that would demonstrate your ability to work with this population. Be specific.
Please include the words "Public Authority Registry Social Worker II/III"
in the subject line of the email submission. Please submit the required materials electronically via email to: Sutep Laohavanich, Health Services Manager I firstname.lastname@example.org
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.Apply immediately. Resumés will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process. NOTE
: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered. At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.