Summary WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist. OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-generated values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization. SUMMARY OF POSITION
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to perform technically in one or any combination of the following: right-of-way (ROW) maintenance, household hazardous waste (HHW) collection, or debris hauling. Employees in this classification perform skilled, manual work and are responsible for the operation of heavy equipment. Performs related work as directed by supervisor. Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ROW Maintenance:
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
- Performing routine right-of-way and vegetation maintenance using appropriate methods, techniques and safety precautions in accordance with directives from supervisor.
- Cuts, trims, prunes and chips trees, branches and brush.
- Collects and disposes of litter, garbage, trash, and debris.
- Collection and storage of recycled office paper and like materials.
- Drives and operates; loads and unloads a pickup truck, dump truck, some light to heavy equipment, brush chipper, chain saw, tree trimmer, shovel, rake, broom and other related tools and equipment.
- Collects and disposes of illegally discarded solid waste and like materials.
- Arranges and conducts off-site curbside collection of household hazardous waste.
- Identifies; categorizes; segregates; consolidates; lab-packs; stores and manifests household hazardous waste for shipment to disposal or recycling facilities.
- Communicates and answers questions educating the public on the HHW collection program
- Collects and disposes of illegally discarded hazardous waste and like materials.
- Drives and operates commercial truck and elliptical dump trailer, loads debris in trailer using wheel loader, and deposits debris at landfill.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Drive to and from destinations as assigned by Supervisor.
- Responsible for maintaining good work habits, safety, and production.
- Understands and follows verbal instructions, reads and comprehends written instructions and plans; fills out work orders.
- Uses good judgment to work safely and use equipment properly.
- Walks, stands, stoops and lifts repeatedly for extended periods of time while performing assigned duties.
- Responsible for cleaning, washing, maintaining and servicing tools and equipment to include some light to heavy equipment as may be required.
- Lift and carry 50 to 100 pounds, pull, push, or drag up to 150 pounds of tools and equipment. Lift and carry, repetitively up to 35 pounds.
- Subject to afterhours call out to include weekends and holidays for emergency situations.
- Provide follow up of assignments to ensure completion and thoroughness.
- Assist other departments as necessary.
- Comply with all written City policies and procedures.
- Adhere to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Required Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of material, equipment, and tools used in the control and collection of litter and illegal dumping.
- Knowledge and skill in cutting tree limbs and brush.
- Skill in the operation of various hand and power tools and equipment applicable to the specific position.
- Good knowledge of the geographic layout of the City.
- Skill in preparing simple records.
- Requires the ability provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others on how to apply procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Requires the ability to operate and control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials requiring complex and rapid adjustments.
- Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of descriptive data and information, such as vehicle maintenance manuals, work orders, maps, blue prints, etc.
- Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; ability to utilize principles of fractions; ability to interpret graphs.
- Requires ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
- Requires the ability to exercise the judgment required in situations characterized by repetitive or short cycle operations covered by set procedures or sequences.
- Requires the ability to perform coordinated movements involving placing and turning motions, such as operating dump trucks, back hoes, front end loaders, and trucks with trailers, etc. In addition, requires the ability to utilize shovels, chain saws, brooms, scoops, and small tools and equipment, etc.
- Pass a drug screen and a background check.
- Meet the City's driving standards.
- The ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
- Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
High school diploma or GED supplemented by two (2) years previous experience and/or training in one or all the following: vegetation maintenance, solid waste/recycling operations, or hazardous waste operations. A valid Texas Commercial Driver's License (Class B) is required, or ability to obtain within one year of hire. Debris Hauling :
Class A CDL required at time of hire. Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS ROW (Right of Way) Maintenance :
Knowledge of the materials, equipment, and tools used in the collection and disposal of litter, illegally disposed wastes, waste reduction practices and vegetation maintenance (e.g.; brush chipping, recycling). Experience in the operation of hand and power tools and equipment. HHW Collection :
Knowledge of hazardous waste operations and emergency response procedures. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Physical Demands/Supplemental PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must pass a drug screen, driving record check, and background check.
- Must have a valid Texas Class C driver's license.
Tasks require the ability to exert heavy physical effort while performing heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing and sometimes involving a combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or the pulling of moderately heavy objects and material (20-50) pounds. May occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (up to 100 pounds). WORK ENVIRONMENT
There is limited exposure to environmental conditions. Task may require exposure to strong odors and/or smoke, traffic hazards, extreme heat/cold or extreme weather conditions. SUPPLEMENTAL
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Closing Date/Time: 7/29/2021 5:00 PM Central