The Payroll Technician is responsible for student employment and hourly employee pay; overtime and shift differential payments; The Payroll Technician also handles a number of PeopleSoft and State Controller's Office processes - namely processing payroll/personnel documents for entry into PeopleSoft and the State Controller's Office; reviewing payroll related HR transactions for completeness and accuracy; troubleshooting errors and providing guidance to HR for corrections; assisting with the implementation of PeopleSoft projects and testing; and participating in PeopleSoft teleconferences, meetings and trainings. The Payroll Technician serves as back-up to the Payroll Manager on all payroll related issues.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested parties should submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/careers.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on a scenic waterfront site in Vallejo, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1100 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master's degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
Student Assistant and Hourly Employee Pay Processing:
• Ensures timely & accurate processing of all positive payroll including student assistants, hourly employees, and special consultants through HRIS PeopleSoft system.
• Processes Student Payroll Action Requests and Personnel/Payroll Transaction (PPT) forms into the State Controller's Office system.
• Reviews personnel and payroll forms for completeness and accuracy
• Calculates & processes overtime and differential payments
• Assists employees with payroll inquires
Employee Payroll Processing:
• Processes various employment status transactions such as appointments, promotions, reclassifications, and reassignments into the State Controller's Office System
• Calculates pay for staff, management, & faculty across various pay plans within the CSU i.e. annual, 10/12 pay plans, 11/12 pay plans, academic year, summer session pays, and special consultants
• Calculates leave accruals and updates HRIS PeopleSoft system
• Runs Daily Payroll Report for payroll reconciliation.
• Provides daily payroll clearance to cashier
• Runs Master Payroll Report and reconciles against monthly attendance reports.
• Runs and formats daily and monthly reports for the Payroll Office and campus reference/use
• Provides clerical assistance for the Payroll Office as needed.
• Monitors & reviews Peoplesoft self-service transactions for absence management, time & labor, and troubleshoots errors
• Represents Payroll on PeopleSoft implementation projects and testing
• Collaborates with the Employment Services and Information Technology department in development of positive payroll reports & processes
• Participates in PeopleSoft teleconferences, meetings, and trainings
• Serves as back-up in the absence of the Payroll Manger for payroll and related issues.
• Provides communications to the campus regarding positive payroll matters.
• May provide work assignments to student assistants in Payroll
• Responds to verification of employment requests
Experience: Equivalent to one year of general administrative experience in payroll and human resources recordkeeping and data entry which has provided the above knowledge and abilities.
Education: Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
Knowledge: Working knowledge of general office methods, practices, and procedures.
Abilities: Ability to acquire working knowledge of, and independently select and apply, CSU policies, procedures, programs, guidelines, applicable state and federal laws, educational codes, and collective bargaining agreements. Ability to, or acquire the skill to, use web browsers, electronic calendaring programs, ERP/HRIS, and data management systems. Ability to audit and reconcile data; interpret and apply written rules and regulations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; exercise tact, courtesy and good judgment in responding to others; use current computer word processing and spreadsheet software programs; perform mathematical calculations; accurately enter data; follow oral and written instructions; communicate effectively with others; and read and write at a level appropriate to the position.
• Associate's or bachelor's degree
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Involves mainly sitting; walking and standing is minimal; involves lifting lightweight objects limited to 15 pounds.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
MANDATED REPORTER: The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled