SDSU Imperial Valley is a campus/college of San Diego State University serving the desert area of southeastern California. It is accredited as an integral unit of SDSU and operates under the same governance structure and university policies. Established in 1959 by an act of the State Legislature, SDSU IV offers its programs at two locations in Imperial County: Calexico and Brawley. Offering four-year and two-year undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees, and post-baccalaureate credential programs, SDSU Imperial Valley helps matriculated students achieve their higher education goals. Currently, SDSU IV employs 61 full-time faculty and staff members.
Under the general direction of the Director of Business and Financial Services, the Assistant Director for Facilities Services and Projects provides operational leadership and oversight of facilities maintenance and maintenance projects. The Assistant Director is responsible for managing the maintenance, repair, renovation, and preventive maintenance of all campus facilities at both sites of the Imperial Valley Campus. They are responsible for the coordination, assignment, and scheduling, as well as the maintenance and service, of all the vehicles in the motor pool; monitoring contractors and scheduling construction and development projects, and inspecting completed work.
The Assistant Director is responsible for monitoring and working with security systems for the campus. It is expected that the Assistant Director improves services and resolves problems; maintains continuing contact with campus administrators, staff, and faculty to identify needs and expectations; coordinates services and support; and determines the level of customer satisfaction with the services provided. This Assistant Director supervises personnel in custodial, facilities maintenance, and grounds as well as conducts performance evaluations of all employees in these areas. In addition, the Assistant Director supervises the security guard personnel and will communicate any issues with the security guard vendor.
For more information regarding Imperial Valley Campus, click here
This is a full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits eligible, permanent (probationary) position. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs. Candidate Qualifications
- 5 years progressively responsible experience in a facilities building trade, facilities systems mechanic, or equivalent combination of training and experience which demonstrates the achievement of journey-level skills equivalent to those acquired through completion of an applicable apprenticeship program.
- 5 years of supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of materials, methods, equipment, and tools in trade areas pertaining to facilities (plumbing, electrical, large HVAC systems, pumps, motors, etc.), construction and renovation
- Working knowledge of computerized maintenance and building automation systems
- Knowledge and ability to interpret applicable building and safety codes and regulations related to facilities, systems and renovation.
- Valid CA Driver's License.
Compensation and Benefits
- Experience supervising employees in a collective bargaining environment
- Hands on experience and supervision of Custodial, Maintenance, Grounds, and Security staff
- Experience working with vendors, suppliers, and procurement in the public sector
San Diego State University will offer a competitive salary based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. San Diego State University also offers a rich benefits package
- Extensive Leave benefits: 14 paid holidays, 24 vacation days, and 12 sick days per year;
- Retirement security through a CalPERS defined benefit pension (with CalPERS and UC Retirement Plan reciprocity) and retiree healthcare benefits;
- An array of health, dental, and vision coverage at no-cost or low-cost to the employee; and
- California State University system fee reduction program (fee waiver) for the employee or their qualified dependent
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here
. Supplemental Information
Initial review of the required application materials, including cover letters and resumes, will begin on June 7, 2021. To receive full consideration, apply by June 6, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click here
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Casie Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled