The Position This is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 5/21/21, 6/18/21, 7/19/21, 8/23/21* (final cut-off)
Under general supervision, Senior Park Maintenance Workers lead a crew or crews performing varied semi-skilled and skilled grounds maintenance and operation or repair work in and around parks, recreational areas, and public facilities. Senior Park Maintenance Workers independently resolve minor operational problems and assist in planning the maintenance and operation of assigned duties. Senior Park Maintenance Workers may be the field person in charge of maintenance and operation duties at an assigned site, and in this capacity are responsible to their supervisors (typically a Park Maintenance Supervisor or Park Maintenance Superintendent) for assuring that the work assignments of other employees of the group they lead are carried out.Watch to explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- The methods, materials, and equipment used in construction, repair and maintenance of parks, trails, golf courses, buildings and related facilities
- Operation and care of basic hand tools, power tools, and other equipment used in building and grounds maintenance
- Basic safety principles and procedures
- The problems encountered in maintaining, improving and caring for parks and property
Employment Qualifications Minimum QualificationsEither:
- Effectively lead a crew of workers performing parks and grounds maintenance tasks or specialized maintenance work
- Schedule work hours and job assignments
- Determine time, personnel, materials needed on minor maintenance and repair projects
- Interpret and follow plans and specifications for maintenance and construction work
- Identify and determine the nature of potential safety hazards and correct or institute corrective courses of action
- Recognize common plant diseases and insect pests
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Keep records and prepare simple reports
- Operate and maintain power equipment and vehicles
- Add and subtract fractions to two decimals
- Compute percentages
- Read, write, and speak English at a level to satisfactorily perform the work
One year of full-time experience performing the duties of Park Maintenance Worker II in Sacramento County service or two years of full-time experience performing duties of a Park Maintenance Worker I in Sacramento County service.Or:
Three years of full-time paid experience performing general grounds maintenance and repair work in a park, recreational area, or around public or private facilities that can be directly related to the knowledges and abilities prescribed for the class of Senior Park Maintenance Worker.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Special Requirements
Driver's License: Senior Park Maintenance Workers are required to possess or have the ability to obtain a valid California Driver License, Class 3 (now referred to as Class C) or higher, before date of appointment.
Ability to obtain a Class 1 or 2 (now referred to as Class A or B) California Drivers License may be required of some jobs.
Certificate Required: Some Senior Park Maintenance Worker positions may require a State of California Qualified Applicator Certificate (formerly the State of California Commercial Applicator Certificate). Failure to obtain and/or maintain such certificate when required may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service Rules.
Physical Requirements: Senior Park Maintenance Workers must be able to perform heavy physical labor as follows:
1. Lift, carry, push, and pull heavy objects such as cement and fertilizer bags.
2. Walk, stand, stoop, and crouch for long periods.
3. Climb ladders.
4. Dig ditches and post holes.
Minimum Age Requirement: Applicants must be eighteen years of age prior to appointment because of the hazards of the job, as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Working Conditions: Incumbents in this class must be willing to work on weekends, evenings and holidays, to work outdoors in all kinds of weather, and to work at various locations throughout the County.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply. County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response. Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 8/23/2021 5:00 PM Pacific